BBO Discussion Forums: The Robot can't declare or defend (on the same hand) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Robot can't declare or defend (on the same hand)

#1 User is offline   1175 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-June-27, 00:10

The symmetry here just seems amusing to me.

This auction occurred at fourteen tables. The Robot managed to find the K lead (and continue hearts), which led to down 3 at every table except one, where the Robot didn't cash the A (down only 2).

Things became a bit more interesting at the two tables (not including mine) where South bid 1 over 1:

I don't like the 2NT bid by East after North rebids hearts (among other reasons, I would usually want West to play NT if the contract belongs there). With no heart to lead, (double dummy) South must lead a club to beat 3NT.

At one table, South led the T (don't ask me why not the J). Declarer won, and instead of starting on diamonds (which would have made the contract), led a club to the king. North won the A, and shifted to the K, which resulted in the same down 3 as the tables where West played 3NT.

At the other table where East declared, South did indeed lead the T (no club bid at this table, of course). North won the A, and... continued clubs (making 5). That seems hard to justify when South has virtually no points.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-27, 16:46

I got nothing. Old version of GIB plays K 100% of the time in the last case.

(The second to last case is slightly more understandable, given it's going to play South to hold an Ace for their bid; even there the diamond comes out marginally on top almost all of the time, though I can see it leading a club occasionally.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users