• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lebensohl over weak 2 Balancing

#1 User is offline   paulsim 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-May-29, 08:05

Hi all,

Is it supposed to strech to bid en balancing seat over a weak2? Still borrowed a King or so?
Is then Lebensohl on in balancing seat? Answers need to be discounted by a borrowed king?

a. 2 shows 0-7 or 0-10?
b. 2NT+3 shows 8-10 or 10-12?
c.- 3 shows 11+ or 14+?

Thank you all
Kind Regards,
Paul_S

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-May-29, 08:58

The balancing double can be weaker than in direct seat, I think a "borrowed king" is about right.

So you need a bit more to force to game, but maybe requiring 15 points is a bit much. I think that with 14+9 we will have to bid game. Otherwise we miss too many 14+12 games.

So maybe the semipositive responses to Lebehnshol are about 9-13. Maybe 9-12 or 10-13?

Anyway, it is extra important to play Lebensohl in this position. 3m showing 0-12 points is no good.

If doubler is a passed hand, we don't need Lebensohl. In that case, 2NT is scrambling.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-29, 10:14

View Postpaulsim, on 2024-May-29, 08:05, said:

a. 2 shows 0-7 or 0-10?

It's strictly forbidden to have an agreement about an insufficient bid :)

#4 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-29, 10:55

I'm not sure how much to write here, sorry if this is too brief. I think the 'borrowed king' story is not good at all, and is a good piece of advice to abandon as early as possible.

Different Lebensohl variants have different ranges, but generally you want to split the hands into competitive/weak, invitational and game forcing. The HCP are a poor guide on this auction, you have way more useful information. If your partner is a high-octane balancer you should probably downgrade frequently.
Typically there isn't enough room to show all hand types at a safe level. Preempts work, that's why we bid so many of them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users