BBO Discussion Forums: What Does obot Promise When Rebidding Opening Suit? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Does obot Promise When Rebidding Opening Suit?

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-March-31, 03:40

Hello! My partner and I play a simple Standard American system. In the following bid sequence, opener would typically have bid 2NT over responders 2D since a rebid of spades promises 6+ cards in the suit, and the 2NT would be the lowest possible bid over the new suit of responder (which is forcing).

In the bid description, I see that robot only promises 5+ cards when rebidding a suit. What would a 2NT response by robot opener mean in its system rather than a 2 spade rebit? Thank you and best regards.

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/26y9crmr

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-31, 04:12

Last I checked a couple of years ago, GIB never rebids 2nt with any hand. Most definitely not for any logical reason, of course.

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-31, 13:45

Checked again and confirmed that 2NT simply does not exist for GIB.

While that's atrocious, 2 not promising 6 is a common bidding style in general - players are divided into two camps, one where it promises 6, and one where it doesn't.

The logic for those who it doesn't is that if you're forced to bid 3 with a dead minimum 5314 12 count (or 5-5 shapes which could be even weaker openers) as well as stronger hands, how will partner with, say, a 16 count be able to distinguish when you should be in 3NT and when you should be in slam with no room left to explore?

#4 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-April-01, 04:14

Thank you, all, for your comments. I appreciate them. Best regards.

Mike

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users