BBO Discussion Forums: Plan the Play 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Plan the Play 1 Simple Stuff

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-18, 10:32

West leads the king of spades against your contract of 3NT. How would you play?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-June-18, 14:51

--

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-18, 15:51

After I ducked the first spade, what does W do next ?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-June-18, 23:02

Assuming it’s imp scoring, duck the first spade. Actually, duck at any scoring…west can’t switch to any other suit that threatens you…if he switches to hearts, you win and duck a diamond into west.

Watch the carding, including east’s signal…make sure one knows whether it’s count or attitude, if the opps know.

Ask west if he’s read Bird and Anthias on notrump leads…only half joking. Last week, my partner (who has, along with me, read the book) led Kx hearts after 1m P 3N all pass. I had passed 1m with AQ10xx in hearts, no other hcp, and at adverse heat. An enterprising west should lead Kx in spades if that’s all he has.

Tell us what happened on trick one and on trick two and I’ll decide my line. Against most opps, if spades are continued I should have a good idea of how they lie. Btw, if east is about to win the second spade, I’d consider winning to guard against a possibly dangerous heart switch. I might want to be at the table but I absolutely need to know who played what on the first two tricks.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2024-June-19, 06:06

If you duck the opening lead, as you surely should, East will play the four (normal attitude) and West will continue with the queen, then East will play the eight.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2024-June-19, 06:06

If you duck the opening lead, as you surely should, East will play the four (normal attitude) and West will continue with the queen, then East will play the eight.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-June-19, 06:25

View Postlamford, on 2024-June-19, 06:06, said:

It appears W has KQJxx, so I will win the second one, and play K and run the 9. If W had KQ and E Jxxxx and discouraged, well played, if spades were 4-3 I'm still home.

You can ensure the contract by ducking again, but most of the time you're just chucking an IMP or some MPs

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2024-June-19, 09:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-June-19, 06:25, said:

It appears W has KQJxx, so I will win the second one, and play K and run the 9. If W had KQ and E Jxxxx and discouraged, well played, if spades were 4-3 I'm still home.

You can ensure the contract by ducking again, but most of the time you're just chucking an IMP or some MPs

I should specify IMPs. I don't think the spades are necessarily 5-2 and I would guarantee the contract. If they are 4-3, they have to switch to a heart to stop you making an overtrick.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users