• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C-1D -? precision question

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-January-18, 00:24

View PostShugart23, on 2024-January-15, 08:54, said:

Later that night we got a call from the club saying something to the effect that they don't like players arguing and said there is a 30 day penalty on her and the declarer. . And that was the last day we played bridge.

"Take your 30 day penalty and stick it where the sun don't shine. We won't be coming back."
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-January-18, 11:18

Yep, that's what happens. I don't think that's the wrong response from [player's wife]. I'm disappointed, but I don't think it's wrong.

Now, of course, the director should have been there before it got that bad. The players need to know to CTFD rather than argue, but also the director should have enough of a mind on the game that they pre-emptively go over when the volume gets high enough that it's affecting other tables.

Yes, it was the players that got punished. But it was truly the Officer's fault for letting it happen. ISTR something like that in Starship Troopers, oddly enough.

To give the club credit, though, even if one of the players did nothing wrong, they absolutely did something wrong when they decided that having "a scene", distracting the rest of the game, was the right thing to do, rather than CTFD. I'm not thrilled that the punishment was solely for the argument and not for some of the insinuations in the argument - which would show with different lengths of suspensions (but again, we only have one side of the story). But if the rule is "we don't like arguments; we suspend people that cause 'a scene'; here's how you solve your problems without causing 'a scene'", then to quote somebody else, "the only thing wrong with [the rule] is that people don't follow it [/believe it should apply *to me*]"

Yes, I have a serious problem with "if you have a problem, [please] call the director". I'll invite people to review my history on that one. If they don't "want to call the director, just continue to grouse" (and lots do), then *you* now have a problem - so CTFD!

Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-February-16, 04:13

fairly simple is to play 1 1 1 as all strong hands. Now when pard bids 2 minor they are limited at least.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-09, 23:21

View Postmycroft, on 2024-January-18, 11:18, said:

Yes, it was the players that got punished. But it was truly the Officer's fault for letting it happen. ISTR something like that in Starship Troopers, oddly enough.

SGT Zim, the senior drill instructor, failed to prevent a recruit (Hendricks, I think) from blackening his (Zim's) eye in anger. The company commander tried to reduce the legal impact of this when Zim brought Hendricks before him, but Hendricks couldn't keep his mouth shut. IIRC, he talked himself into a court martial and was cashiered. Zim later got a private (except that Recruit Private Juan Rico overheard it) ass-chewing from the CO.

Tell the truth, somebody slaps my system card out of my hand, either he's gonna pick it up, or the director is gonna pick it up. In my younger and less easy-going days, I would have invited him to slap me again and when he did I'd break his hand.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook