• You cannot reply to this topic

Bridgemates

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-03, 11:33

As you likely know, I've just started dabbling with running games.
We are using bridgemates and ACBLScore.

There are no masterpoints awarded so we are free to use any method to collect and publish results.
What are my options?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-06, 07:34

Wrong question ? :huh:

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-06, 09:54

Not sure but I think acbl live and the common game are two. There are probably others.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-06, 12:48

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-06, 07:34, said:

Wrong question ? :huh:

Sounds eminently sensible to me.
Unfortunately I am not ACBL and have only had Bridgemates when working for WBF, so cannot help.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-06, 14:11

View Postpescetom, on 2023-May-06, 12:48, said:

Sounds eminently sensible to me.
Unfortunately I am not ACBL and have only had Bridgemates when working for WBF, so cannot help.

I think ACBL is a bit of a red herring.

We are not a sanctioned game, we do not award master points, we do not need to report results to the ACBL.

This is all completely new to me but from what I understand so far is that from the Bridgemates, we take a file containing the player names (txt file) and a GAMEFILE (BWS) containing the game data.

What I am hoping to find out is how others are using this data? Do you have anything we could use to deliver game results and analysis tools to our players.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-06, 14:45

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-06, 14:11, said:

I think ACBL is a bit of a red herring.

We are not a sanctioned game, we do not award master points, we do not need to report results to the ACBL.

This is all completely new to me but from what I understand so far is that from the Bridgemates, we take a file containing the player names (txt file) and a GAMEFILE (BWS) containing the game data.

What I am hoping to find out is how others are using this data? Do you have anything we could use to deliver game results and analysis tools to our players.

Here in Italy you could do this "free" using the FIGB program, or for $100 per year using the Bridgest program (both integrate Bridgemates and also offer a decent phone based alternative for no extra cost).
The FIGB program offers a complete (although graphically ugly) HMTL based delivery of game results and analysis.
Bridgest is easier to use and more readable, but not so complete in terms of delivery.
I would imagine that Bridgemate themselves offer a solution for some fee.
UK TDs may have an answer more useful to you, as they are oriented towards English language programs producing an XML in USEBIO format (which is a great idea, although the main site to visualise it requires payment and is a bit clunky and other RAs or WBF do not yet seem to recognize the importance of such a standard).

#7 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-07, 01:59

View Postpescetom, on 2023-May-06, 14:45, said:

I would imagine that Bridgemate themselves offer a solution for some fee.

Yes and no. Yes, there’s the Bridge-It software, which is available for 295 euro plus extra costs for support and updates, no, the program is not available in North America. Actually, it seems to be only available in the low countries, probably because the only language it speaks is Dutch.
Joost

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-07, 06:06

I saw later that there is a list of compatible scoring programs on the Bridgemate website:

https://www.bridgema...ing-bridgemate/

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-07, 10:56

Thanks!

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-May-08, 09:27

Well, I didn't answer because I was confused.

If you need a scoring program, I think ACBLscor is available even for non-sanctioned clubs; as discussed, other scoring programs are available (but have their (NBO's) biases). You say you're using ACBLscor, so I guess this is dealt with.

If you need to display scores after the game, the old-fashioned way is "print 'em, post 'em on your club board". I've noticed this year because of the big TV we're using to show the clock, I can just display it there and frequently don't need to print it any more.

If you need to display scores online, CG works - and has other advantages. Now they might not *be* advantages, when you have to explain why her 63% game is only a 54% on CG... Many clubs (including my México one) use BridgeWebs - their default structure is really quite well thought out (and ugly. It seems in this century you either get useful information or pretty UI, never both) and it seems easy to post to. I have had clubs using Pianola before - that is a friendlier UI, but much more focused on the results and analysis rather than club info. If you have anyone with web knowledge, the old-fashioned method of putting text (your printout, saved as a file) behind a link and changing it every week Just Works - sure it feels like going back to the '90s, but really, what's wrong with that?

Really, it depends on what your club wants for "publishing results".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-08, 11:05

One thing the FIGB has always done well is online publishing of tournament results, so our players are a bit spoiled there. Although as mycroft says you either get ugly but complete (the classic website) or neat but incomplete (the dumbed down mobile version). Unfortunately they have not yet extended it to display online play (although it will accept and display an online tournament except the play).

In my club, even the most minor of our local tournaments merits at least an HTML page with results, curriculum, leads and analysis of boards. Our players get this on their phone within minutes of the finish (it gets sent to a WhatsApp group by the server, as well as placed on our club site where you can click on any past tournament).

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-08, 13:02

View Postmycroft, on 2023-May-08, 09:27, said:

Well, I didn't answer because I was confused.

If you need a scoring program, I think ACBLscor is available even for non-sanctioned clubs; as discussed, other scoring programs are available (but have their (NBO's) biases). You say you're using ACBLscor, so I guess this is dealt with.

If you need to display scores after the game, the old-fashioned way is "print 'em, post 'em on your club board". I've noticed this year because of the big TV we're using to show the clock, I can just display it there and frequently don't need to print it any more.

If you need to display scores online, CG works - and has other advantages. Now they might not *be* advantages, when you have to explain why her 63% game is only a 54% on CG... Many clubs (including my México one) use BridgeWebs - their default structure is really quite well thought out (and ugly. It seems in this century you either get useful information or pretty UI, never both) and it seems easy to post to. I have had clubs using Pianola before - that is a friendlier UI, but much more focused on the results and analysis rather than club info. If you have anyone with web knowledge, the old-fashioned method of putting text (your printout, saved as a file) behind a link and changing it every week Just Works - sure it feels like going back to the '90s, but really, what's wrong with that?

Really, it depends on what your club wants for "publishing results".

ACBLscor would be great, if we could run it on anything but an old DOS PC :)

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-May-08, 15:16

ACBLScor for windows - which is still the DOS program in a very hinky Windows shell - works on newer Windows computers.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-08, 17:26

View Postmycroft, on 2023-May-08, 15:16, said:

ACBLScor for windows - which is still the DOS program in a very hinky Windows shell - works on newer Windows computers.

Thanks, I'm not sure I am comfortable going for a questionable solution , at least not yet.

#15 User is offline   hakan_str 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-09, 05:47

You could always check out Magic Contest which is (and I quote from their website)

"....the national scoring program in Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Austria, and Finland is slowly moving in that direction. In France, all 29 federation comités (districts) as well as the national federation use Magic Contest.

Thanks to the cooperation with Bridgemate resellers, some 40 clubs Spain and some 35 clubs in Turkey use Magic Contest, as well as numerous clubs all over the world."

I don't have any affiliation with neither the company nor its owner other than being a very happy player for many years.

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-May-09, 09:59

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-08, 17:26, said:

Thanks, I'm not sure I am comfortable going for a questionable solution , at least not yet.

Ah, I caused you to misunderstand. Apologies.

This is *the version* of ACBLscor that everybody has been using since Windows 7 burned DOS. 20 years of tournaments and club games have run with ACBLScorW. In fact, I'm quite surprised you have, never mind can run, the DOS-only version. It Just Works, as well as the DOS version did at least. In fact, exactly as well as the DOS version did.

What I meant was that if you go in expecting "standard Windows look-and-feel" rather than "DOS program you can mouse-click, if you really want to", you will be disappointed. I try very hard when training new directors to "take their mouse away"; it is *at least* twice as fast to do things with the keyboard (and arrow keys, if necessary) than with the mouse. Which, if you're used to the DOS version, will already be second nature to you.

#17 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-09, 10:42

View Postmycroft, on 2023-May-09, 09:59, said:

Ah, I caused you to misunderstand. Apologies.

This is *the version* of ACBLscor that everybody has been using since Windows 7 burned DOS. 20 years of tournaments and club games have run with ACBLScorW. In fact, I'm quite surprised you have, never mind can run, the DOS-only version. It Just Works, as well as the DOS version did at least. In fact, exactly as well as the DOS version did.

What I meant was that if you go in expecting "standard Windows look-and-feel" rather than "DOS program you can mouse-click, if you really want to", you will be disappointed. I try very hard when training new directors to "take their mouse away"; it is *at least* twice as fast to do things with the keyboard (and arrow keys, if necessary) than with the mouse. Which, if you're used to the DOS version, will already be second nature to you.

Nothing about running a game, or using DOS is second nature, yet :)
So I can simply use ACBLScorW on my MAC, why are clubs still running with DOS PC?

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-09, 10:43

View Posthakan_str, on 2023-May-09, 05:47, said:

You could always check out Magic Contest which is (and I quote from their website)

"....the national scoring program in Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Austria, and Finland is slowly moving in that direction. In France, all 29 federation comités (districts) as well as the national federation use Magic Contest.

Thanks to the cooperation with Bridgemate resellers, some 40 clubs Spain and some 35 clubs in Turkey use Magic Contest, as well as numerous clubs all over the world."

I don't have any affiliation with neither the company nor its owner other than being a very happy player for many years.

Thanks, I will

#19 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-10, 10:10

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-09, 10:43, said:

Thanks, I will

I looked at the site and it looks a good prospect to me (just a bit expensive if your RA has no agreement).

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-May-10, 10:43

(and here is where my biases show up. They are - Zealot level. I do realize this.)

I have no idea if you can run ACBLScorW on your mac. If you have a windows emulator that runs more windows programs than not, go ahead and try it. It should be immediately obvious if it works or not.

I know nothing from Apple - I don't understand why people would want to run a computer system based on Linux BSD and then ignore all those tools and power to cover their screen with untranslatable pictures instead of actual words, and use unfathomable, unreadable, and constantly changing Apple "helper applications". From what jwz tells me, I am right to not understand. Frankly, if I need to live with "we know how best you should work", I'll stick with GatesWare - at least I have decades of experience with the ways they confuse their users. Oh, and at least there is support for Ignore their latest attempt to "help", make it work the way you're used to.

I haven't seen ACBLDOS running (even on my computers, even with DOSEMU on my linux box) since Steve retired. I know of no clubs running ACBLscor DOS - and I would be scared if they did, if they post to Live4Clubs - because it means a pre-Windows 7 computer is internet-connected, and therefore almost certainly internet-infected (or, you know, DOSEMU or sneakernet).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users