• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-21, 03:49

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 09:00

3, then accept partner's decision (even 4), unless it's 3, in which case, I'll probably get a minor agreement and blast slam (probably 4, and then 6 unless raised).

But you probably aren't playing Keri :-)

Spoiler

I don't think I have enough science to find specific cards, and I don't think I want to go looking for slam unless partner's hand is pure - and I am reasonably certain the Moysian will play well (and at MPs, will score well).

My other option is 2NT (clubs), then 3 (GF, NAT, 9+minors), but I don't think it will get me useful information in time. Again, not useful unless you're playing my system.

IOW, I'm just crowing about getting lucky this time (and why don't I get these hands?)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 09:05

3 - 1=3=(54) and GF. I'll pass 3NT or 4, and might make a slam try over 4m. In fact I should really decide now - I'll show a control over 4m.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 10:25

For us 1N-2 intending if partner doesn't show 4 diamonds or 5 clubs to show it as 5+/4+ longer with 3

#5 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-March-21, 10:32

Depends on methods. Personally, I don’t like 3M as showing some 31(54)/ 13(54) over a weak notrump. I prefer 3M as preemptive…not necessarily weak but ‘to play’.

So in my pet methods I bid 2D, artificial game force.

Absent those methods, it just comes down to agreements. If you do play that 3M is a 5=4/4=5 minor hand with a 3 card major, some bid the shortness and some the fragment. I’ve long thought that bidding the fragment makes sense, at least in a strong notrump scenario, because one declares the possible 4=3 (on a good day, 5=3) major suit game where it may be more difficult for them to have a killing lead. In a weak notrump scenario, I see and argument for bidding the stiff, since often responder is stronger than opener, but I’d still opt for the fragment to remove the sacrifice oriented double of the short major (sacrifice or lead oriented, I suppose, depending on agreements)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 11:33

We have very standard agreements over 1NT, we were playing 2 art. gf but had to drop that because of forgets.
I really like this hand, A's, K's, 10's, the suit is solid, H&C look useful too.

lead 10 =12

For obviously, all the match points. (yes, lucky)

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-March-21, 11:57

Well done on finding the good slam. I don't have many agreements with my partners so would bid 3 as a slam try, which would likely result in us playing in 3NT.

#8 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-March-21, 11:59

3 for me which is specifically 1354. I'd try for the slam over any suit bid by opener

#9 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-March-21, 12:02

I’m not convinced I’d reach 6N,but I’m sure I’d reach 6C

1N 2D
2N 3C. 2N shows 5+ clubs. 3C sets trump

After that, east cuebids spades, etc

Ironically, I play 14-16 in my two partnerships so east opens 1N and west bids 3H, 1=3 (54)

East might slow things down via 3N, given that half his hcp are in spades and that might prevent reaching slam especially if west makes a quantitative move, with east being minimum and having AK opposite stiff

Otoh, east knows of at least a nine card club fit…so over an ambitious 4N, he might try 5C ‘along the way’ and west has an easy raise

I can’t be objective of course….seeing the hands makes it so easy to persuade oneself that one would get this right. I can say I very much doubt we’d reach 6N.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 13:38

If we can't remember that 2 is art. gf, we certainly would not remember that 2N show 5+ clubs, but I like the concept.
Does 3C show diamonds and so on?
You're likely getting the strong hand to declare, does it also have the same benefits as transfers over 1C?
If someone can add a link to a good write up on transfers over 1C I'd appreciate it.. got that

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 13:46

Well, I don't get to 6, I play 3NT with the rest of the room.

A heart finesse, a three-way guess for the trump queen, and a diamond situation that, while I should be able to navigate it 90% of the time, could require some serious communication issues, and a little bit of luck that the "useless K" clips the (second?) heart loser. At most one of those 3 can be wrong/misguessed. I might be frustrated that I didn't get there, but I'll miss worse.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-March-21, 13:56

View Postmycroft, on 2023-March-21, 13:46, said:

Well, I don't get to 6, I play 3NT with the rest of the room.

A heart finesse, a three-way guess for the trump queen, and a diamond situation that, while I should be able to navigate it 90% of the time, could require some serious communication issues, and a little bit of luck that the "useless K" clips the (second?) heart loser. At most one of those 3 can be wrong/misguessed. I might be frustrated that I didn't get there, but I'll miss worse.

If you can play clubs from the west hand as we do, only a spade lead doesn't save you a guess. Also you are very likely to get the trumps right as you can combine a finesse/endplay, so losing to a doubleton Q throws N in.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users