Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bizarre robot bids Links to rogue bids for the programmers to analyse

#1 User is offline   ShiftyMan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-December-26, 21:11

Occasionally I find myself completely baffled by a robot’s choice of bid. I’m not talking about the challenging-to-program scenarios where judgement would help, but actions that are mystifying in any universe. I thought it might be helpful to the robot programmers to post these auctions, so that they can iron out bugs: https://tinyurl.com/2oaf43zc

Contributions welcome.

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-December-26, 21:48

There is a forum specifically for GiB Robut bids
Regarding the above auction I think the 2D is an escape from a doubled NT contract and should have been passed as the only non-disastrous contract

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-26, 21:52

There's a whole forum dedicated to that here. Well, dedicated to talking about the robots - not so much anything getting fixed :) But I can usually try to explain *why* the robot does weird things, at least..

.. in this case if you were playing in a paid tournament, it should never have happened, as it should be an easy pass for paid robots. There's a number of places in the code where the robots are basically given a choice between a few different options, and are meant to deal a bunch of hands to figure out which option will work best, but free robots have this feature turned off, and just pick the first one in the list. Which isn't awful in most cases, but can give some silly results in others like here, where 2 happens to have a higher priority than pass.

Though based on an initial inspection it shouldn't have been, still trying to figure out why it was..

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-December-27, 09:39

It is worth going into the GIB Robot Discussion forum, change the filter to 'All' and see all the entries that our forum colleague 'thorvald' posted. I am guessing there were over 100 instances of Bizarre Bot Bids, maybe more.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2022-December-27, 14:00

pretty bad, you have a nice diamond fit with no chance of game
and you show a 4-card suit that likely doesnt fit with partner
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic