BBO Discussion Forums: What to bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to bid?

Poll: What to bid? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What to bid?

1. Pass (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. 4H (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 4N (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. 5C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 5D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Dbl (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   H Potter 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-February-24, 08:36

Matchpoint pairs
Red v White/Green
You are West, dealer East

You hold:
A6
AQ842

KQ9843

P-4D-?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-24, 08:47

<snip>
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-24, 08:54

Tough call!!! Partner has already passed, and even with this 6-5 I am passing also. Make it 652 and I bid 4. It is one board. Preempts are made to make life difficult. Without partners pass I think this problem is more difficult and I would go with 4 and pray...

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 10:18

Double and then 5 over 4 suggests 2-4-1-6 or thereabouts. This is the closest I can come to describing this hand. I am not too comfortable if partner leaves the double in, but it might be ok.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-February-24, 10:41

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-February-24, 08:54, said:

Tough call!!! Partner has already passed, and even with this 6-5 I am passing also. Make it 652 and I bid 4. It is one board. Preempts are made to make life difficult. Without partners pass I think this problem is more difficult and I would go with 4 and pray...

The right 6 count makes 6C virtually laydown so passing is incredibly timid imo. Obviously one doesn’t play partner for magic cards, but equally obviously one won’t fare well, in the long run, by being equally pessimistic.

I’m bidding 5C. Over 5D, should they bid it, I’m bidding 5H.

Yes, I could go for a huge number but as the late Grant Baze offered as a Bols Bridge Tip “six-five, come alive’
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 10:56

I agree with all of Mike's reply.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 14:12

There is some compensation from the fact that partner has passed as he may well not hold six spades, increasing the chances of a decent fit.

I'm tempted by 4NT, if partner would understand it as clubs and a major along these lines.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 15:08

View Postpaulg, on 2022-February-24, 14:12, said:

I'm tempted by 4NT, if partner would understand it as clubs and a major along these lines.

I would bid it and not worry too much if it was undiscussed, logic is logic.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 16:49

View Postpescetom, on 2022-February-24, 15:08, said:

Some play 4NT as natural.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-February-24, 17:07

View Postpescetom, on 2022-February-24, 15:08, said:

It's amazing how often even fairly experienced partnerships will disagree when confronted with rare and previously undiscussed auctions: each offering afterwards a 'logical' explanation for why they interpreted the bidding differently than did partner.

More than 20 years ago the team I was on was coached for several days by Kokish,

At the time I think that my partner and I had the most detailed set of system notes in the country: 175 pages of densely packed notes, using flowcharts and tables to save space.

Yet when given a test in which we had, separately, to write down what a bid meant or should mean in about 75 unusual sequences, we were on different wavelengths for about a third of them and, at that, were the 'best' of the three expert partnerships (to be fair, the other partnerships had not been playing together for anywhere near as long as we had)

What I took from that, and believe to be true to this day, is that one should be extremely leery of taking a flier on the assumption that 'partner must surely get this right'

A central problem is that our own perception of what logical reasoning should be is inescapably influenced by wanting our chosen bid to show the hand we happen to hold at the time. Partner, of course, isn't looking at our hand, so his perception will be coloured by what he holds or wants us to hold.

Thus one needs to have 'meta rules'

We have one, not applicable to this situation but offered as an illustration.

In competitive auctions a bid of 2N is never natural. I don't think that would be contentious for most expert partnerships, and if one wanted to play 2N in some situation as natural, then one either has already made a specific agreement that this is an exception or one avoids a 'natural' 2N until the post mortem.

Here, 4N could logically be played as natural. Say we held AQ Ax Kx AKQxxxx sure, that's a rare holding but if we held that would we not very much want 4N to be natural? Wouldn't we be tempted to argue that 'logically, what else could it be?' After all, with both majors we double or bid 5D or bid a major. With primary clubs, we bid clubs. And some of us, with clubs and a side 5 card major, bid 5C then 5M if need be. Since those are surely at least plausible ways of dealing with those hands, isn't it 'logical' that 4N is to play?

I'm not arguing the bridge merits of any approach to this problem. These hands are so rare that even very experienced partnerships will encounter them at most a couple of times a year, and (I suspect) usually not that often. So we can't really speak from experience in most cases, and I certainly don't claim to do so.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2022-February-24, 17:19

https://www.bridgeba...ny-suggestions/

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2022-February-24, 19:13

View Postnullve, on 2022-February-24, 17:19, said:

Good to see that I’m consistent (which isn’t always the case)

#13 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-24, 20:37

View Postmikeh, on 2022-February-24, 10:41, said:

The right 6 count makes 6C virtually laydown so passing is incredibly timid imo. Obviously one doesn’t play partner for magic cards, but equally obviously one won’t fare well, in the long run, by being equally pessimistic.

I’m bidding 5C. Over 5D, should they bid it, I’m bidding 5H.

Yes, I could go for a huge number but as the late Grant Baze offered as a Bols Bridge Tip “six-five, come alive’

I do not disagree with this, however...

What I do not want to do is give a passed partner a high expectation of my hand. Any opps. values will be over my hand, and both / suit has spaces even though you have two aces. At Matchpoints adopting aggressive approach can work, and partner can have (some) magic cards for your action to make a good board but when I used to play MPs - I have not played competitive bridge for many years - my psychology was to think the same as IMPs with these hands.

At IMPs there are two scenes: double game/slam swing or big penalty. Thats why this board at IMPs is more, more difficult, even a guess as to the right action. My view may be that of a pessimist, but before I make a decision here I would also think about other results of MP session. 6/5 is good shape - agree - but opps. may have difficult decision to make also over preempt. I would better get some matchpoints than minus matchpoints by bidding so aggressive.

My style thats all...

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2022-February-24, 20:46

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-February-24, 20:37, said:

I do not disagree with this, however...

What I do not want to do is give a passed partner a high expectation of my hand. Any opps. values will be over my hand, and both / suit has spaces even though you have two aces. At Matchpoints adopting aggressive approach can work, and partner can have (some) magic cards for your action to make a good board but when I used to play MPs - I have not played competitive bridge for many years - my psychology was to think the same as IMPs with these hands.

At IMPs there are two scenes: double game/slam swing or big penalty. Thats why this board at IMPs is more, more difficult, even a guess as to the right action. My view may be that of a pessimist, but before I make a decision here I would also think about other results of MP session. 6/5 is good shape - agree - but opps. may have difficult decision to make also over preempt. I would better get some matchpoints than minus matchpoints by bidding so aggressive.

My style thats all...

I’ve started playing a little international bridge again, most recently in the Polish Trans-Atlantic Seniors Invitational. What struck me the most is the level of aggression on display. You pass this hand in good competition these days, you’d better be right, since the field is definitely bidding.

Indeed, one reason I’d be comfort bidding is that I expect a lot of company.

#15 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-February-25, 03:31

View Postmikeh, on 2022-February-24, 17:07, said:

In competitive auctions a bid of 2N is never natural. I don't think that would be contentious for most expert partnerships, and if one wanted to play 2N in some situation as natural, then one either has already made a specific agreement that this is an exception or one avoids a 'natural' 2N until the post mortem.

1 - (1) - 2 - (2)
2NT

Can't 2NT show a balanced hand outside your 1NT opening range with a spade stop, or if 2NT isn't natural, how do you show this hand?

#16 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-February-25, 03:36

View PostAL78, on 2022-February-25, 03:31, said:

1 - (1) - 2 - (2)
2NT

Can't 2NT show a balanced hand outside your 1NT opening range with a spade stop, or if 2NT isn't natural, how do you show this hand?

It can in strong NT land although you might agree to pass with that, in weak NT land it's FG so can show other hands as well

#17 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-25, 03:59

1 - (1) - 2 - (2)
2NT

If you have a minimum balanced hand with values in their suit, why do you want to use anything other than a green card?

#18 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-25, 05:07

1 - (1) - 2 - (2)
2NT

Textbook situation for Good/Bad.

#19 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-25, 05:24

View Postmikeh, on 2022-February-24, 20:46, said:

I’ve started playing a little international bridge again, most recently in the Polish Trans-Atlantic Seniors Invitational. What struck me the most is the level of aggression on display. You pass this hand in good competition these days, you’d better be right, since the field is definitely bidding.

Indeed, one reason I’d be comfort bidding is that I expect a lot of company.

I prefer your bid of 5, mikeh, followed by 5 over opps. 5 than helene-t bid of X as the opps could still raise to 5 and then partner will possibly bid 5 and then you are fixed.

My caution is that the partner of the 4 bidder knows exactly the sort of hand his partner has, so is in a better position to take action - bid one more, sacrifice, X - than your partner. At the table, in a short time space, it would be difficult to try to work out how the bidding is going forward, and what might happen: I think competitive bidding at the five level is one of the most difficult to calculate.

I am indeed a bit old-fashioned preferring caution over aggressive bidding so it is interesting to see that older players bid this these days. I always thought that it were the younger players who bid with enthusiasm :)

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2022-February-25, 08:06

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-February-25, 05:07, said:

Textbook situation for Good/Bad.

That’s how I play it in the partnership in which we use good-bad

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users