Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C-1D-2m

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-17, 08:26

I appreciate you guys and gals helping refresh my memory. SO, assume you have 5-7 HCP, no 5-card suit, and partner opens 1C... I seems to recall that was 5-7 HCP, I owe my partner a bid if he has shown a Major, as in 1C-1D-1S-? (Whether or not I have a 5-card suit), but is this true when Opener's suit is Diamonds or Clubs? e.g. 1C-1D-2C-? or 1C-1D-2D-? I suppose with 7 HCP and 3+ card support, you probably ought to raise.

I guess my question is, when are you allowed to pass your partner when bidding has gone 1C-1D-2m? Thank you

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-17, 10:52

View PostShugart23, on 2022-February-17, 08:26, said:

I appreciate you guys and gals helping refresh my memory. SO, assume you have 5-7 HCP, no 5-card suit, and partner opens 1C... I seems to recall that was 5-7 HCP, I owe my partner a bid if he has shown a Major, as in 1C-1D-1S-? (Whether or not I have a 5-card suit), but is this true when Opener's suit is Diamonds or Clubs? e.g. 1C-1D-2C-? or 1C-1D-2D-? I suppose with 7 HCP and 3+ card support, you probably ought to raise.

I guess my question is, when are you allowed to pass your partner when bidding has gone 1C-1D-2m? Thank you

Most people would respond to a standard opening bid with 5-7 points. The Precision sequence starting with 1 is stronger -- 5-7 is effectively game invitational and I think you should always continue after opener's rebid.

The more interesting question is actually 0-4 point hands. Most people play that these can pass a 2m rebid, but there's a significant following for playing 1M rebids as absolutely forcing. In any case, if you have a fit and a useful shape you should be able to raise with this point range.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-17, 11:09

View Postawm, on 2022-February-17, 10:52, said:

Most people would respond to a standard opening bid with 5-7 points. The Precision sequence starting with 1 is stronger -- 5-7 is effectively game invitational and I think you should always continue after opener's rebid.

The more interesting question is actually 0-4 point hands. Most people play that these can pass a 2m rebid, but there's a significant following for playing 1M rebids as absolutely forcing. In any case, if you have a fit and a useful shape you should be able to raise with this point range.

so my view is with 5-7 when partner has shown a Major, I will give him one more bid (atleast)...your view is with 5-7, over a minor, I should always bid, evem with no fit or 5 card suit ?

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-17, 11:17

https://www.bridgeba...ic/64633-1c-1d/

You might buy Dan's book on Meckwell Lite.

With 6-7 and sometimes lighter you'll want to rebid over 1C-1D, 2m. In most Precision systems, opener can't make a bid that invites when holding a minor, so responder has to do the inviting. I.e. 1C-1D, 3m is forcing.

#5 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-17, 11:18

View PostShugart23, on 2022-February-17, 08:26, said:

The 2m bid by opener is passable; however, as Adam noted, responder should advance with an appropriate hand. BTW, I would recommend the Meckwell continuations after 1C - 1D (1M 4+, F1, etc).

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-17, 11:32

View PostShugart23, on 2022-February-17, 11:09, said:

so my view is with 5-7 when partner has shown a Major, I will give him one more bid (atleast)...your view is with 5-7, over a minor, I should always bid, evem with no fit or 5 card suit ?

Can't opener rebid 2m with 19? If he can't, you're forcing yourself pretty high when opener has 19-20 opposite nothing. If he can, you need to keep the auction alive with 5-7.

If your 2m rebids could contain a 4-card major, then you should check back for a 4-4 major fit with 5-7; you could easily make game if there is one. If 2m denies a 4-card major, then it's almost always six, in which case balanced hands can raise with doubleton if no other action appeals.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-17, 12:12

View Postawm, on 2022-February-17, 11:32, said:

Can't opener rebid 2m with 19? If he can't, you're forcing yourself pretty high when opener has 19-20 opposite nothing. If he can, you need to keep the auction alive with 5-7.

If your 2m rebids could contain a 4-card major, then you should check back for a 4-4 major fit with 5-7; you could easily make game if there is one. If 2m denies a 4-card major, then it's almost always six, in which case balanced hands can raise with doubleton if no other action appeals.

Thanks guys I'll look over the responses and the link(s)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users