Any suggestions ?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-September-25, 15:34

Cyberyeti 'Your agreement is that you play takeout doubles at the 4 level. Any suggestions?'
+++++++++++++++++
IMO Pass is the sensible action :)
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-September-25, 15:40

Let them struggle- pass
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-25, 15:54

Pass looks sensible, if that is your cup of tea.
What would 4NT be here?

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-25, 16:15

View Postpescetom, on 2021-September-25, 15:54, said:

Pass looks sensible, if that is your cup of tea.
What would 4NT be here?

Some sort of takeout that didn't want partner to pass a double

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-25, 17:51

I think a direct 4N, over 4m, should be natural. No way is it takeout…for which suits? Just try playing 4M after 4N.

Meanwhile, say you hold Kx Ax AQ AKxxxxx?

Surely we’re not bidding 5C?

On the hand, this is an easy pass of 4D.

It’s not that I think that passing feels good. It doesn’t. But every other call feels horrific. When there is only one call that doesn’t rate to instantly consign us to hell, making that call should be easy

After the spoiler….this is as brutal a problem as I can recall. While passing again rates to get us a plus score, it also means missing a possibly cold slam or even grand.

I’m not at all confident about my answer, but I raise.

We’re I to bid a new suit, that should be a cue. Thus, when I raise I think I show all three Aces, plus something more (although not necessarily as much as I have…my side extras may compensate for my inadequate trump support).

He ‘should’ know what to do with long, solid trump.

Oh well.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-September-25, 18:42

View Postmikeh, on 2021-September-25, 17:51, said:

I think a direct 4N, over 4m, should be natural. No way is it takeout…for which suits? Just try playing 4M after 4N.

What if your (say) M+ two-suiter is too good for 4M?

X followed by 4N over 4M is not an option?

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-September-25, 19:37

On the hand, this is an easy pass of 4D.

It’s not that I think that passing feels good. It doesn’t. But every other call feels horrific. When there is only one call that doesn’t rate to instantly consign us to hell, making that call should be easy

After the spoiler….this is as brutal a problem as I can recall. While passing again rates to get us a plus score, it also means missing a possibly cold slam or even grand.

I’m not at all confident about my answer, but I raise.

We’re I to bid a new suit, that should be a cue. Thus, when I raise I think I show all three Aces, plus something more (although not necessarily as much as I have…my side extras may compensate for my inadequate trump support).

He ‘should’ know what to do with long, solid trump.

Oh well.

I considered a raise but I think it should be 6 spades - that narrows it to only spades
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-26, 02:00

Pass in tempo.

And pass again at 4S, I’m not punishing partner who tried 4S with AQ to 6 or 7, void D and a side K. Minimum at red but realistic. We can’t expect nearly solid trumps and both rounded K.

5S might be in danger if we lose say a H and 2 trumps. Or 3 trumps when they split 7510 or worse around the table.

But if we are Xed, I am XXing. Won’t be cheap, but will likely lead to a blow bath.

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-September-26, 03:20

View Postapollo1201, on 2021-September-26, 02:00, said:

Pass in tempo.

And pass again at 4S, I’m not punishing partner who tried 4S with AQ to 6 or 7, void D and a side K. Minimum at red but realistic. We can’t expect nearly solid trumps and both rounded K.

5S might be in danger if we lose say a H and 2 trumps. Or 3 trumps when they split 7510 or worse around the table.

But if we are Xed, I am XXing. Won’t be cheap, but will likely lead to a blow bath.

4N to me is something like a 1606 big hand where you don't want partner passing a double with a flat hand

You're not a million miles off in your assessment of what's going on, this is the whole hand:

#11 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-26, 03:23

Pass, and 5NT (pick-a-slam) over 4. We have 4-5 tricks and partner's 4 is to make at these colours (bidding 'weak over weak' is asking for a penalty double by West).

In fact, one the main upsides of 4m as a natural preempt is that opponents will too often enter the auction on just a long major and some scattered values, allowing partner to double with some defence along with LOTT estimates.

The hand was posted as I was writing this comment, I expect partner will bid 6 which is two off on a spade ruff into a diamond switch for an uppercut, plus losing the queen of spades down the line. Or is there some better line of play? 4 also looks unattractive, why didn't partner double?

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-26, 12:33

View Postnullve, on 2021-September-25, 18:42, said:

What if your (say) M+ two-suiter is too good for 4M?

X followed by 4N over 4M is not an option?

I think that the chances that my hand, say some 6=6 major/clubs is too strong for 4M and too weak for 5N, imo clearly a two-suited monster, are very low.

Add to that that double followed by 4N sure sounds to me like keycard and I prefer 4N over 4D to be to play.

Finally, I think it a very good rule that direct non-jump overcalls of notrump by an unpassed hand will ‘usually’ be natural. The only exception I can think of is after 4M by an opp. Now 4N as minors is too frequent/useful to give up, plus it’s pretty normal to play that a double of 4M shows roughly the equivalent of a strong notrump overcall (but not in anyway suggesting a stopper). While one could still hold a hand where one would like to bid a natural 4N over 4M, minors is, imo, more common.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users