Do you open?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-18, 11:34

QT
AJT965

Playing 5CM, strong NT, weak twos in majors only (2/ are Benji Acol style), MPs, green against red, you are dealer. Do you pre-empt or pass?

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-August-18, 12:49

Worth a pre-empt with 5+ playing tricks green vs Red

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-18, 13:17

Its only one board. and it depends who your partner is? and how the match point session has gone up to now? an ace is usually a good card for defense. 6322 shape is not the best. make the shape 1363 and I would feel a lot better opening 3 but....

....sound advice say never pre-empt your partner however would partner expect anything more than what you have? I look at this and say that 2 opps. have to deal with your pre-empt. it takes away a lot of bidding space. so on the balance of things, with a decent 6 card suit I would bid 3. that will make the opps. life difficult, especialy at green/red.

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-August-18, 14:00

Partnership style dictates one’s actions here.

If partner expects more than this for a favourable vul 1st seat 3D, then pass.

In one of my partnerships, I think this is just a little too light in playing strength, so I’d pass. In the other, this is an extra values 3D….we do it on far less at favourable, 1st seat, so I would open, hoping we don’t miss 3N when he plays me for less🙂

There’s no right or wrong per se, but making a call that doesn’t meet partnership expectations is never a good idea….even if it works this time, it shows seeds of doubt for the next dozen preempts
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-18, 15:30

Like Mikeh states, this is a partnership style question, but another question is: what should a partnership's style be first seat NV vs Vul. An argument I agree with is that in first seat there are two opponents to interfere with but only one partner, so one should pre-empt more freely in first seat. I like modifying the standard idea to 4-2-1 depending on vulnerability, so I would advise that the partnership should adopt the idea of a preempt at the 3-level first seat NV v Vul with a 5-trick hand.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-August-18, 16:12

Generally I play
FV 5+ PT
EV 6+ PT
UV 7+ PT
These would be 7+ card suits except for Clubs where 6+ is OK. If I have the choice of a Weak2 versus a 3 level preempt then the 3 level attempt attracts the weaker hands. I roll the Weak2 into a Multi2

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-18, 17:21

This is what happened:

This was the last board of the evening and it had been mixed overall, mainly because there were only four tables and a two winner Mitchell (club COVID safety rules) so with a high variance in standard, randomness was higher than normal (and it is quite high at this club normally). After some thought I decided to pass, I lean towards having a classic 3-level pre-empt in 1st and 2nd seat, although when partner also passed I decided to throw in a weak jump overcall, which partner upped to 5. I was surprised not to get doubled until I had experienced East's defence, who seemed to assist me in taking as many tricks as possible. 5= was a top.

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-19, 02:59

On rare occasion it is right to pass first and preempt on the second round, but this hand does not qualify. If your partnership allows opening 3 at this position and vulnerability I would have done that, and if not I think passing the second time is wise.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-August-20, 13:52

AL78 'Playing 5CM, strong NT, weak twos in majors only (2/ are Benji Acol style), MPs, green against red, you are dealer. Do you pre-empt or pass?'
++++++++++++++++++++
Close matter of judgement but I rank ...
1. 3 = PRE. Overbid, short in but lead-directional and good intermediates.
2. Pass = NAT.
3. 1 = NAT. Might work, intending to pass later.
4. Other psyches. Too dangerous for me.

#10 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-22, 01:00

I don't remember ever getting a bad result by preempting 3 with that sort of hand.

I don't mean that I never got a bad result, just that I have a short memory. On the other hand, I don't remember ever getting a good result by passing and then preempting with that sort of hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users