• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO awarded scores Not Cut Out For The Job

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-07, 07:38

https://tinyurl.com/2dnw8wh2 gives the handviewer

The auction was fine to a good contract. Declarer drew trumps, ruffed out the spades and played ace and another club. At this point, before East played, the time ran out for the round (weekly pairs event). BBO software awarded the score of 6H-1, without even requiring the TD to approve it. The TD was busy at another table and did not notice this, and the players did not either. Of course, East might duck the club, and declarer might play West for Kx on that basis. But the BBO software has no business even chipping in to the conversation. Two mights have made a wrong. And the TD had to amend the HTML file and reupload it for rating afterwards.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-07, 14:15

Might be a good time to explain how the claim button works.

Sometimes, when bad things happen to people, it is their fault.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-08, 08:27

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-April-07, 14:15, said:

Might be a good time to explain how the claim button works.

May I suggest you visit Specsavers. How could declarer claim not knowing where the king of clubs is?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-08, 15:19

View Postlamford, on 2021-April-08, 08:27, said:

May I suggest you visit Specsavers. How could declarer claim not knowing where the king of clubs is?

Specsavers' problem is you get cheap and cheerful frames that are either not attractive or not sturdy and may not be exactly what you need.

Your question is, "why did the software make the decision it made?"

When forced to make a decision, I understand the software gives the benefit of the doubt to any possibility of the Declarer NOT making the contract.

This means that if you are slow players, it is in your interests to:
  • Play faster
  • Claim where possible AND indicate your line of play.
As you point out, if your line of play requires correctly guessing something and you have "run the clock", then yes, you should lose.
If you run out of time and the opponents have "run the clock", they lose.

BBO is unsophisticated in its use of timing to help Directors determine results.

Some people are known to have a problem with time.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the (elided to avoid identifying them) way.
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say.
http://bit.ly/timePink

Other platforms (that I'm not allowed to name for some reason) know which players have been taking the most time to the millisecond.
The computer makes the decisions.
Nobody complains (very much).
Life goes on; people are as happy as - well - Bridge players.
This situation is exactly why "claim when possible" and Bridge clocks are a good idea.

Let me give you an example conversation that happened to me in a club I don't play in regularly.
This club disclaims at the start of each tournament that records are kept for disciplinary reason.
I keep records when people say something a little out of the ordinary.

Tournament: Hello. This is One and Two, your directors. Please call us ... with any problems.
Tournament: Please greet opponents with your system & remember to explain all calls you would normally announce or alert. Type under Explain before you call. Please reply fully to any questions, especially about your signals and discards
Tournament: If you need to know the meaning of a call you should click on it. Please be tolerant of slow play and allow opponents thinking time.

→Me asking (Private): point range for weakish please
Opp1 (Private): 3D is non forcing
→Opp1 (Private): n bid
Director (Private): Do you need some help - which bid ?
→Me (Private): 3D alerted as weakish
→Me (Private): 3D
→Me(Private): Asked for range for weakish
→Me(Private): refused
Director→Table: I suggest you bid on
→Me to Director (Private): so no point range available?
Director→Table: If there is doubt afterwards about anything, I can give you the benefit of that doubt

Me (Private): ok - will take weakish to mean less than 6HCP and 6 D
Director→Table: South has said it is anything up to the point of being NF, given the strength iof 1NT
Me (Private): not an explanation imho
Director (Private): It annoys the hell out of me too, when I get unhelpful answers from players but c'est la vie - they never budge !
Me to Director (Private): hilarious

In the end I had a terrible result because I thought "weakish" was a weaker than it was, but since I had bid on - and provided an explanation myself that in the end was sort of close to the truth, I didn't say anything. I just stopped playing there.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-09, 08:37

View Postlamford, on 2021-April-07, 07:38, said:

https://tinyurl.com/2dnw8wh2 gives the handviewer

The auction was fine to a good contract. Declarer drew trumps, ruffed out the spades and played ace and another club. At this point, before East played, the time ran out for the round (weekly pairs event). BBO software awarded the score of 6H-1, without even requiring the TD to approve it. The TD was busy at another table and did not notice this, and the players did not either. Of course, East might duck the club, and declarer might play West for Kx on that basis. But the BBO software has no business even chipping in to the conversation. Two mights have made a wrong. And the TD had to amend the HTML file and reupload it for rating afterwards.

When automatic adjustments of incomplete boards are enabled, we don't require the TD to approve them. In large tournaments there will often be dozens of them, and most of them are trivial (it only does this when there are a few tricks left, and the play is usually obvious), so it would be overly burdensome to make them check each one.

The TD can always override the result afterward, and you can call the TD if you think this is necessary.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users