BBO Discussion Forums: Total points - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total points Are the toal points counted as in manual?

#1 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-21, 13:24

In the manual, total points are defined as HPC + 3 points for each void, 2 points for each singleton and one point for each doubleton. Is it in coincidence with your experience?

In just declare MPs daylong, you play the following board

HA is led and followed with small diamond. The board does not look very interesting on the first view – since you have got 28HPC and 4 HPC are possessed by the leftie, there are just 8HPC remaining for the rightie - very few for the vulnerable intervention, but it can still almost fit into the explanation – 11-16 total points, with some shortness´s. So, the expected course of the cardplay is successful spade finesse and giving up one trick in clubs (not successful finesse) – another flat board.

However, a bit closer look during the play, when you cash the diamond and trump tricks, shows that you should pay some attention to, because you found out that east posses seven hearts, two spades and three diamonds, so that he has got one single club only. That is 7 HPC at maximum (because east can not have both CK and CJ, but with one more singleton and doubleton, he almost fits the explanation – still, would you go to second level overcall with just 7 HPC and a suit lead by pure jack, without 109?).

So, after this analysis, you finally play small club to the ace for very bad result, because the complete board is:

I must tell you that such boards are very demotivating for me to play the daylongs at all. But may be, I just misunderstood, what total point count is.

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-21, 16:17

You aren't misunderstanding total points. GIB's hand often doesn't match the description - it has thousands of rules to look through for determining what to bid; some have specific descriptions associated with them, but much of the time descriptions are automatically generated based on the level of bidding.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-21, 19:13

Looks like 8 total points for GIB. 5 HCP, 2 for the doubleton spade, 1 for the singleton club. And then there are some random points given for long suits, not sure how much. GIB will give distribution points even if you have inadequate trumps, but trumps are overrated. Or give distribution points for singleton or doubleton honors. So singleton jack is worth 3 total points. You usually can't trust GIB on point count unless it is an opening 1 level bid (or 2NT/3NT).

So with the short suit distribution points, and the long suit points, you are pretty close to an opening 1 bid by GIB standards.

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-21, 19:38

View Postjohnu, on 2021-February-21, 19:13, said:

Looks like 8 total points for GIB ...
... Or give distribution points for singleton or doubleton honors. So singleton jack is worth 3 total points.

Singleton J is 2 total points to GIB; it deducts 1 for each short suit with an honor. So this hand is 6 total points to GIB. But since all of your posts are usually sarcasm, this one might have gone over my head :)

#5 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-22, 10:44

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-February-21, 19:38, said:

Singleton J is 2 total points to GIB; it deducts 1 for each short suit with an honor. So this hand is 6 total points to GIB. But since all of your posts are usually sarcasm, this one might have gone over my head :)

Just to make some conclusion for myself, I checked today the results achieved on this board. The board was played by 21 players. Since it was "just declare" daylong, the bidding and the first lead was the same

17 players made the finesse in club suit, six BBO masters and two BBO royals among them. Four players, including me, played club ace - two not awarded players and one royal (K).
So, I made 7,5% on this board. I started playing the daylongs at the beginning of Covid-19 era and has played around 10 000 boards since that time, but it seems to me that I really may need to spend several more years
here to understand how the daylongs should be played.

Yes, there is a kind of sad ssrcasm in my statement...

#6 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-06, 18:12

Whatever the rule is that tells GIB to bid 2H with that hand should be eradicated from the system and the programmer who entered it should be taken out and flogged, publicly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users