Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remember High School whole classes punished for one naughty act

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-11, 22:40

Well, some of us do, and many of us not fondly in any way at all.

Seemingly now the whole world is run by the kind of high school teacher's who used to threaten and bully a whole class over one individual's naughtiness

For some of us with very anxious dispositions we even started to feel responsible and guilty ourselves, and crazily even felt pressure to admit to something we hadn't actually done

However, even for people like me we maintained solidarity

it builds that if nothing else

However I find it a seriously distasetful and dangerous approach to get a whole group feeling angry at one individual/small group target who may or may not all be as bad as made out, and may not all actually be responsible for what the libellous and slanderous media/others would have us believe

Case in point. Punishing a whole community/city/state over the actions of a few anti-social people, or maybe even people with no power over their lives or actions, and easy to blame. You know where that ends

But maybe its just a cultural thing passed on for countless generations and through certain cultures. Oh I was bullied, its ok for me to bully etc

Then again, before any old high school teachers get upset, by far the worst cruelty and brutality was inflicted on first grade at primary school. And I am not joking. But how it affected the victims depends on their age, their anxiety, their self-consiousness etc. The effect on some is lifelong whenever it happens. Sad to see the world is not progressing much

You actually get the feeling nobody learned much through the wars on terror and the impacts of collective punishments. Sometimes you feel its almost deliberately provoked by some. Who knows who is behind the need for conlfict. There are many on both sides of anything I imagine. Look through history. There are also some who actually have it as a philosophy

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-12, 07:32

Don't despair, things are changing. There are many articles and teaching guidelines out there now recommending teachers not use collective punishment. And you may well be aware of this case, which may well end up changing policy across Australia. Give it a couple of generations and it might go the way of corporal punishment. Seriously though, if this is something important to you, set up an advocacy group to shape public opinion and pressure national and state authorities. This is an area where a group of dedicated people really can make a difference.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-14, 14:00

View Postthepossum, on 2021-January-11, 22:40, said:

Case in point. Punishing a whole community/city/state over the actions of a few anti-social people, or maybe even people with no power over their lives or actions, and easy to blame. You know where that ends

If the anti-socials are truly outliers, your complaint is valid.

But if a majority of the class encouraged and approved of the actions of the anti-socials, even though they didn't personally participate, it's not unreasable to paint them all with the same brush.

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 21:59

I suppose this is metaphorical or at least not really a discussion of high school. Nonetheless, I tried thinking back and I believe that pretty much everything I was punished for I actually did. This might or might not be relevant to whatever you are getting at.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users