BBO Discussion Forums: Not the ideal start - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not the ideal start they say defense can often survive one mistake

Poll: Not the ideal start (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Win or duck?

1. Win (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. Duck (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Why did I agree to this game?! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-13, 13:47

Imps scoring, nv vs vul, assume 2/4 leads and standard carding.

You lead the 5 which goes to the T-K-3. At trick 2, partner tries to cash the ace of spades and declarer ruffs. Declarer then leads the 4 from hand. You do not have suit preference on "cashing" the winners. Do you win or duck?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-13, 15:39

I don't see any reason to win. Both declarer and partner are unlikely to have a stiff club. I'm obviously missing something.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-13, 16:09

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-December-13, 15:39, said:

I don't see any reason to win. Both declarer and partner are unlikely to have a stiff club. I'm obviously missing something.

The reason to win is if declarer has something like x, AKJxxxx, xxxx, x or x, AKJxxxx, xxx, Qx where you thwart the morton's fork by winning and playing a diamond to remove the entry prematurely, if you don't declarer's second club whether he has the Q or not disappears on the spade and partner's K is the third and last trick for the defence.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-December-13, 20:50

We pretty much need partner to hold the diamond King and, indeed, declarer’s line strongly suggests that he lacks that card. If he has no diamond K, then his 4H call was aggressive if based only on a 6 card suit, so there is a real chance he has 7. If he were 1723, he’d play trumps or diamonds before playing clubs, so he may well be 1732, in which case we have to rise and switch to a diamond (obvious once we infer that partner has the King)

If he’s on 6 hearts, he pretty much has to hold the club Queen to play this way, but ducking can’t really help, even if he’s 1633, and 1624 makes no sense..he’d take the diamond hook.

So I think all constructions that seem (to me) plausible, call for popping the Ace and playing a diamond.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-20, 15:07

Full hand (and yes, 4H was very aggressive)

Ducking leads to letting the contract home while if you win, you just wait for your 2 trump tricks.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-December-21, 04:21

Why are not north-south overcalling on this hand? Green/red. Then no chance that north make error in defense by playing A

If contract 3-1, then opps can make 3 on my LOTT calculation. -50 against +140. Or -100 if X

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-December-21, 04:34

View PostLBengtsson, on 2020-December-21, 04:21, said:

Why are not north-south overcalling on this hand? Green/red. Then no chance that north make error in defense by playing A

If contract 3-1, then opps can make 3 on my LOTT calculation. -50 against +140. Or -100 if X

S has a crappy suit, the last thing you want is partner leading one from Kx(x) against 3 and them making a trick more than anybody else, N could overcall 1 if that's your style.

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-December-21, 06:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-December-21, 04:34, said:

S has a crappy suit, the last thing you want is partner leading one from Kx(x) against 3 and them making a trick more than anybody else, N could overcall 1 if that's your style.

In the book The Complete Boook on Overcalls, Mike Lawrence advocates overcalling on such suits and worse, but only if it has some obstructive potential and the hand has trick taking potential outside. 8 65432 AQ32 AK4 and J8742 8 AK3 AJ42 are both 1 and 1 overcalls over 1.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-December-21, 06:35

View PostAL78, on 2020-December-21, 06:32, said:

In the book The Complete Boook on Overcalls, Mike Lawrence advocates overcalling on such suits and worse, but only if it has some obstructive potential and the hand has trick taking potential outside. 8 65432 AQ32 AK4 and J8742 8 AK3 AJ42 are both 1 and 1 overcalls over 1.

Yeah, but this is an ace or more light of those, it's neither a suit nor a hand.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-December-21, 07:23

I don’t see how south can bid, but there’s some basis for north to overcall 1S. He has an opening hand (ok, depending on style) and a decent suit, plus he preempts a 1H response.

I’d not do it at imps because if my diamond holding....xxx in the suit opened to your right is the worst possible holding, though not as bad as when RHO opened a major.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-22, 10:21

I don't overcall 1S as I don't want partner leading from Kx so partner will lead the king when I do overcall.

And it does look automatic to rise with the A.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users