• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switch When it should apply

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-08, 19:06

Csaba and I play switch. So when opps and partner have both bid one suit, we generally reverse the two other suits, gaining some of the advantages of playing transfers without messing up the unassuming cuebid structure.

After 1/2/3 bananas - (1/2/3/4 oranges), Switch generally applies unless the two remaining suits are M and m where M would be more economical to bid naturally. So for example, in
1-(2)-?
we don't switch.
Obviously we also don't switch 4 and 4 in
1-(4)-?

In response to overcalls, we agreed to play Switch except for responses to 1-level overcalls, as those can be very wide ranging, and nf responses are therefore more practical.

I am not sure about passed hand bidding. When it comes to responses to overcalls over enemy preempts, maybe Switch is best, but there are many other situations where it would be nice to be able to bid nonforcing natural. For now we just bid the same way as passed hand as otherwise.

Are there other people here who play Switch? What are your rules for when it applies? Do you think it would be better to play it always off by a passed hand?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-09, 03:12

We play Switch in most places after we open and there is no difference when we are a passed hand. Our light opening style helps with passed hands since it is rare that we have a hand that wants to bid at two- or three-level.

We don't play Switch when we overcall. It may not be optimal but it reduces the memory load and prevents conflict with our transfer responses to overcalls.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users