Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VUbridge deal Source Error on board orientation

#1 User is offline   JBCAnita 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-01, 05:55

We have been playing head to head match in the casual area with the default IMP scoring and deal source. However, there seemed to be a bias towards the pair who were lucky enough to get high card points so we have switched to using RANDOM VUBRIDGE deal source, On the surface this seemed to give a much better result. However, we just played a board where N/S have 3 NT on. The other tables on VUBRIDGE played in 3NT in the opposite orientation E/W and both tables played 2 tricks then claimed making 10, which wasn’t possible, what is happening ? Does this happen often? In which case we are better off sticking to the default of 16 random tables and just accept that if you bid and make game you will get a small positive small regardless of how well you have played.

Anyone else had this issue ?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-01, 06:44

When asked I've already recommended that people play Vugraph deals and get two reasonable comparisons rather than 15 random comparisons. Mainly for the reasons you mention, that making a boring game in the Main Club is often worth +2 ximps.

However, the Vugraph deals are not perfect and have not been checked. I have seen the occasional hand where the contracts bear no resemblance to the hand record and are not possible. It may be that the hands were fouled when playing and they substituted replacement boards that the Vugraph operator did not have, so they just entered the final result.

Also you occasionally get boards from club and junior events, where the quality of the pairs can vary but are still generally better than the Main Club.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   JBCAnita 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-07, 04:25

View Postpaulg, on 2020-September-01, 06:44, said:

When asked I've already recommended that people play Vugraph deals and get two reasonable comparisons rather than 15 random comparisons. Mainly for the reasons you mention, that making a boring game in the Main Club is often worth +2 ximps.

However, the Vugraph deals are not perfect and have not been checked. I have seen the occasional hand where the contracts bear no resemblance to the hand record and are not possible. It may be that the hands were fouled when playing and they substituted replacement boards that the Vugraph operator did not have, so they just entered the final result.

Also you occasionally get boards from club and junior events, where the quality of the pairs can vary but are still generally better than the Main Club.

Thank you, you have confirmed my suspicions and my bias. The results/scores generally are way better than the other option. I appreciate your reply. 👍

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users