• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-25, 05:59

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-August-25, 03:14, said:

I realise that the original building probably prohibits that, together with the additional cost of erecting a balcony which needs further supports and struts. Maybe it is possible to have windows that open fully (bi-folding) on the sunny side of the building and have a Juliet balcony incorporated into the design. That way you will be able to sit direct in sunlight in an easy chair and drink coffee or a nice glass of wine in the open air.

Regretfully, any changes to the exterior of the building are strictly forbidden.
The building itself is on the National Register and needs to be preserved as is.

To get an idea just how serious they are, no bird feeders!

If you look at the actually picture of the inside, you can see a loading dock door in the back corner.
This leads to a 12 foot high, 6 foot wide bay that used to be used for loading / unloading bolds of cloth and the like.

That will either be used for a massive plate glass window or, alternatively a recessed balcony with doors that swing open.

(However, even then, no sunlight much of the year and the "view" is a parking lot and the HVAC system)

Unclear what precisely will happen
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-25, 09:50

Heh, You are Definitely Not Me.

A scrolling loading dock door opening to patio would be something I would move mountains to keep! I understand "more natural light", but given your comment about the gorgeous well lit view[/sarcasm], nope, "let's go out onto the patio" <sound of chains rattling the door up>...

And I know from heritage buildings; my church many years ago was a Registered Historic Site, and getting it wired for internet was a headache of epic proportions (legally. The "running new conduits through 100 year old sandstone" headache was expected).

¡Buen Viaje!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-25, 10:14

View Postmycroft, on 2020-August-25, 09:50, said:

A scrolling loading dock door opening to patio would be something I would move mountains to keep!

Same, but a door leading to an 8 foot drop to a concrete pad (with no option to build stairs or the like is far less desirable)

I DID consider the feasibility of buying a flat bed trailer, backing it up to the door and parking it, and building a patio a top that.
Might still do that at some point in the future. But not now...
Alderaan delenda est

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users