• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

losing connection I lose connection at least 3 times every tournament

#1 User is offline   deb410s 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-16, 15:52

Not sure if it is a hardware or software issue but I continually lose my connection every time I play. It is very frustrating. I have had Comcast out and my signal is very strong. I have tried hardwiring and wifi and it does not matter.
What is the problem and how can I fix this?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-16, 16:20

View Postdeb410s, on 2020-June-16, 15:52, said:

Not sure if it is a hardware or software issue but I continually lose my connection every time I play. It is very frustrating. I have had Comcast out and my signal is very strong. I have tried hardwiring and wifi and it does not matter.
What is the problem and how can I fix this?

I checked our log for the past few days and don't see lots of disconnections for you. I see one today at about 4:31pm Eastern, and one on Saturday at 3:33pm Eastern.

All your other recent sessions ended with ordinary logouts.

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-June-16, 21:14

I have a player

Grantmikim

who gets disconnected so often we joke, similar to baseball which has to go 5 innings, that our game isn’t official until the 5th disconnect of Grantmikim.

Yet she tells me she has no problem with any other website.

Any way to check her? She also plays on BBO frequently outside the vacb128801 games I direct involving her.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-17, 11:26

View PostBudH, on 2020-June-16, 21:14, said:

I have a player
Grantmikim
who gets disconnected so often we joke, similar to baseball which has to go 5 innings, that our game isn’t official until the 5th disconnect of Grantmikim.
Yet she tells me she has no problem with any other website.

We had 5+ players like that but the number has already dropped to 2. The problem was usually wandering out of range of domestic wifi. Nobody on a PC wired to a router or a tablet with 4G phone connection has any particular problem.

#5 User is offline   TheKurgan 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-07, 18:44

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-16, 16:20, said:

I checked our log for the past few days and don't see lots of disconnections for you. I see one today at about 4:31pm Eastern, and one on Saturday at 3:33pm Eastern.

Hi, Barmar. Will you check my profile. It even logged me out OF THE FORUM. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Is it just because there are so many people playing?

Charles
BBO Handle: TheKurgan

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-September-08, 15:25

The forum and BBO server are completely separate. If you're losing both connections, it has to be a problem with your ISP.

#7 User is offline   Sylvchen 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-22, 22:44

I have the same problem. Usually I get disconnected when I play. It is possible that my internet connection is micro outages however - could the BBO software not be designed like other software, for example Zoom webmeetings or similar ones, Skype, Gotomeetings etc. - which all continue to work. they do not throw the user out of the software entirely but just keep connected and continue going when the microoutage is gone. Those "outages" may be milli seconds or less, they are not noticeable with normal use. Video streaming, web-meetings etc. all this works flawlessly.

I was wondering whether there is a difference between a paid account and a free account. I thought that perhaps the paid ones get a priority connection or so but reading here it seems not to be the case - or is there a difference?

Any improvement on the software to deal with this like other software does would be great. Just keep me in the game and let it continue instead kicking me out.

Thanks! - Sylvia

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-September-23, 13:53

View PostSylvchen, on 2020-September-22, 22:44, said:

I was wondering whether there is a difference between a paid account and a free account. I thought that perhaps the paid ones get a priority connection or so but reading here it seems not to be the case - or is there a difference?

BBO doesn't have paid accounts, unless you're talking about BBO Prime.

But no, there's no difference between them at the connection level. BBO Prime just gives you access to some additional features.

BBO Prime and other commerce turn off ads -- it's remotely possible that the extra traffic from displaying ads is interfering with your connection to the BBO server.

#9 User is offline   Jean Anne 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-26, 11:06

losing connection ? tell me about it. Since march 95% of the time I get "logouted" after completing a tourney. By "logout" I mean I get a ridiculous screen which freezes the program BTW my logout button does not work. Tired of reporting it and no not my issue, theirs, I have an excellent internet connection and new computer. Finally "support/help" has admitted it is not only I with this issue but "just a few". I guess we don't count. Oh well, c'est la vie.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-September-28, 08:49

View PostJean Anne, on 2020-September-26, 11:06, said:

losing connection ? tell me about it. Since march 95% of the time I get "logouted" after completing a tourney. By "logout" I mean I get a ridiculous screen which freezes the program BTW my logout button does not work. Tired of reporting it and no not my issue, theirs, I have an excellent internet connection and new computer. Finally "support/help" has admitted it is not only I with this issue but "just a few". I guess we don't count. Oh well, c'est la vie.

If you're talking about the situation where the Home and Back buttons don't work, and when you try to logout you get a messed up screen with the tab bar in the middle, this is a known bug that we hadn't been able to reproduce reliably enough to debug it.

Luckily it happened to me over the weekend and I was able to gather some information from the browser console to pass on to the programmer.

#11 User is offline   buzzp 

• Pip

Posted 2021-February-27, 10:02

Got "lost connection" and bumped to login screen 5 times in five minutes at 10:30am. Happened on both wi-fi and pc hardwired to router. Happened each time the third player logged in to the table. Internet speed test ping 8ms d/l 150Mbs u/l 8Mbs. Too many players? BBO server problems? Very frustrating.

#12 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-27, 14:29

I am beginning to feel left out.

OK - I have fibre to the premises with Virgin Media always clocking-in at in excess of 110Mbps download, BUT I am never ever disconnected.
Sometimes I use a hardwired desktop; other times I use a laptop on WiFi but I can't do anything which causes me to lose the signal and get unexpectedly disconnected.

What am I doing wrong?

#13 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-27, 16:22

View Postjandrew, on 2021-February-27, 14:29, said:

I am beginning to feel left out.

OK - I have fibre to the premises with Virgin Media always clocking-in at in excess of 110Mbps download, BUT I am never ever disconnected.
Sometimes I use a hardwired desktop; other times I use a laptop on WiFi but I can't do anything which causes me to lose the signal and get unexpectedly disconnected.

What am I doing wrong?

I suspect this is the experience of the vast majority of BBO users (myself included).

#14 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-09, 20:10

If wifi, maybe interference. Try to use 5ghz band if you can - or use wired.
You can troubleshoot, maybe change channels via "wifi analyzer" app or program

#15 User is offline   md70118 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-21, 11:55

For the last 2 days, I have lost connection with BBO. I have strong internet connection. NO other site loses connection like this.

#16 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-27, 17:26

Exit other programs/apps/pages.  Reload Page/App & sign in again.  Move closer to router.  Get a new computer/router.

#17 User is offline   paharry 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 03:20

BBO software is intolerance to latency of interconnections . No mater how BBO try to talk people about their setup, HW etc. It clearly only has been tested in an lab with very good internet connections of high bandwidth and low latency!

I run BBO tournaments in rural Ireland where often the only internet is either 2nd rate land or more likely 4G with inherent high latency. Unfortunately this is even worse in the evening when phone usage is at its peak and we want to play bridge!

We just had a 47 table charity event and there was nearly continuous connections being dropped in, being logged back in etc. We also lost 1 pair in start-up {bbo decide they were there on startup but not their by time the server had actually started}

It is possible to program with reasonable away of tolerance. I suggest test BBO and willing to help a real world in less that perfect interconnects!

#18 User is offline   TO4Lesley 

• Pip

Posted 2021-April-12, 14:07

Today was kicked off casual game I set up and the software did not recognize my partners once I was back in. Had to log in 3 times. Then 2 others players each got kicked off. One time the software inserted a person even though I had turned off kibitzing. Finally had to ask them to leave...this happened before a robot arrived. This was a truly messy day...if you have created the game and are kicked off...it should remember when you log in again.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-April-12, 16:05

If you reserve seats for the players, it will not put other players in your place, and automatically return you to your seat when you log back in.

#20 User is offline   bbutcher85 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-23, 14:48

one of my partners,
Jean80301
has the same problem. She will usually get knocked offline up to 5-10 times during an 18 board match. This has been happening for over a year and a half. Today we were reviewing our results from a game starting at 11:30 AM Eastern standard time, after the game ended. She was kicked off 6-7 times while reviewing the hands. She has a strong wifi signal with Xfinity. She was also knocked off at least 3-4 times during the game. I am playing on a computer using the same OS, same wifi, and same version of BBO (V3). I get knocked off perhaps once a month or less.
It appears if there is a delay in bidding or play of perhaps 1-2 minutes she gets knocked off.

bbutcher85

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-16, 16:20, said:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users