• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Brexit

#141 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-26, 12:41

It is sad that UK and US (two great countries of the 19th and 20th century) have become so internally sundered that there are large swathes of people in each who don't recognise the other side.

Do we deserve "freedom" and "democracy"?
https://youtu.be/_3CZExnn8MI

#142 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2019-October-04, 09:21

https://www.bbc.com/...litics-49936352

#143 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-16, 10:40

I think it's time to present the source from which I drew: it is the legal magazine "Freedom, Security, Justice" with a qualified editorial team on the subject (this is part of a 55-page pdf in Italian for which I made the translation of only one of the points in the summary): Index-Summary 2019, n. 1 Editorial The virtuous incidence of fundamental rights in completing the European area of ​​justice Angela Di Stasi p. 1 Essays and EU Articles Readmission Agreements as Tools for Fighting Irregular Migration: An Appraisal Twenty Years on from the Tampere European Council Eugenio Carli The impact on Brexit of the ruling of the EU Court of Justice of 10 December 2018 Maria Cristina Carta Governing Asylum with (or without) Solidarity? The Difficult Path of Relocation Schemes, Between Enforcement and Contestation Luisa Marin Data protection in the field of judicial and police cooperation in criminal matters in the light of directive (EU) 2016/680: fragmentation and uncertainties of application Gabriele Rugani and care at internal European territory: the English "case" of the small Alfie Evans Sabrina Vannuccini Informal agreements with third States on the management of migration flows: critical considerations with reference to the practice of the European Union and Italy Valentina Zambrano
https://documentclou...8a-b06f21a29e20
THE INCIDENCE ON THE BREXIT OF THE JUDGMENT OF THE EU COURT OF JUSTICE OF 10 DECEMBER 2018 Maria Cristina Carta SUMMARY: 1. Premise: the EU Court of Justice legitimizes the unilateral revocation of the declaration of withdrawal from the EU and opens the way to the "no- Brexit ". - 2. The UK's differentiated participation regime in the European area of ​​Freedom, Security and Justice. - 3. The agreement reached with the Draft Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and the unresolved node of the back stop solution on the Irish border. - 4. Some reflections on the critical aspects of the May Government's action. - 5. The key points of the judgment of 10 December 2018: the "historic-evolutionary" interpretation of the art. 50 TEU provided by the EU Court of Justice. - 6. Concluding remarks: the Luxembourg Court granted a painless "way out" for the United Kingdom ?
(The point translated is great part of the n. 3)

#144 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-16, 23:52

Euronews

Brexit: the last confrontation between Johnson, the allies and the opposition

Duration: 01:01 13 hours ago

Boris Johnson and his government must find an agreement not only with the European Union, but also in their home. They must convince allies and opponents in parliament that their proposals can work, starting with the unionists of Northern Ireland. Crucial to the continued existence of the government, they have serious concerns that Belfast is viewed differently from the rest of the United Kingdom in an agreement with the European Union. However, Brexit Minister Stephen Barclay flaunts optimism: "If we are given the opportunity to vote on an agreement and approve an agreement, we can move quickly. I am aware that the bill on the Withdrawal Agreement is a significant legislative act, but we are sure we can approve it by October 31 ". If Johnson loses the 10 votes of the DUP he can still convince some Labor MPs and other opposition deputies to give their support to any agreement agreed with the European Union. It will be a difficult vote, but in the last few there are those who start betting on a favorable vote.
https://www.msn.com/...ione/vi-AAISOgX

#145 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-03, 20:37

I'm not a great fan of some of the articles from The New York Times, but this one raised my grey eyebrows.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartandhp

Many people, including my own family, have questioned why I voted to Leave the EU. There were many reasons, but one of the strongest was the EU's Common Agricultural Policy.

Back in the 1980s I remember the wine lakes and butter mountains, and the bizarre funding of EU money to farmers to stop them growing crops on their land. It seems that the EU hasen't evolved and cut out the corruption in their systems.

I dislike Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party, but the sooner we rid ourselves of EU that also looks after the few at the expense of the many, the sooner we might be free as a country.

I'm not naïve to realise that there are many corrupt forces in the halls of power around the world, but when The New York Times publishes an article like this you have to question that the EU is surplus to requirements.

#146 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-January-16, 16:16

No Big Deal

A continent trembles, but what’s all the fuss?
Britain’s just Europe’s Hawaii. Discuss.

–Rick Mullin

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#147 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-01, 09:21

Quote of the day from For unionists in Northern Ireland, Brexit has backfired badly by Susan McKay at The Guardian:

Let’s just do that whole damned century over again but with a different ending. OK? Hands up. Anyone?

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#148 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-01, 10:20

The sort of thing you would expect the Guardian to say, without looking. Try the Telegraph. Much more uplifting.

#149 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-06, 01:08

https://youtu.be/Lvm3xeO1lA0

Caution: Full of swear-words and extreme language. Also, if one doesn't know (the satirical humour of) Jonathan Pie, one will miss some of the points he is making.

#150 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-03, 05:26

I'd be interested to hear a US take on this article.

https://www.theguard...rade-deal-uk-eu

My hope is that Boris will stand firm on this but I fear he won't

#151 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-03, 07:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 05:26, said:

I'd be interested to hear a US take on this article.

I think that EU food safety laws are dramatically superior to what we have in the US
Same for data privacy protection.

I have never understood Brexit.
I think that England just shot itself in the head.

I hope that the Scots are able to salvage something for themselves.
Alderaan delenda est

#152 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-03, 08:51

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-March-03, 07:51, said:

I think that EU food safety laws are dramatically superior to what we have in the US
Same for data privacy protection.

I have never understood Brexit.
I think that England just shot itself in the head.

I hope that the Scots are able to salvage something for themselves.

I think quite a lot here see Brexit more as shooting oneself in the foot as opposed to being slowly strangled by the EU. Hopefully after the pain it will heal.

#153 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-03, 09:02

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 08:51, said:

I think quite a lot here see Brexit more as shooting oneself in the foot as opposed to being slowly strangled by the EU. Hopefully after the pain it will heal.

I think that you'll discover that hundreds of billions of pounds of economic losses in order to be strangled by the United States wasn't a particularly good choice...
Alderaan delenda est

#154 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-03, 09:58

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-March-03, 09:02, said:

I think that you'll discover that hundreds of billions of pounds of economic losses in order to be strangled by the United States wasn't a particularly good choice...

It's possible, but the entitled way the EU are behaving post Brexit seems to show that we're better off out, "We won't negociate unless we get access to your fish stocks" for example which sounds about as ridiculous to most Brits as saying to the French "we want the ability to take n000 tons of brie each year for nothing".

#155 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-03, 11:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 09:58, said:

It's possible, but the entitled way the EU are behaving post Brexit seems to show that we're better off out, "We won't negociate unless we get access to your fish stocks" for example which sounds about as ridiculous to most Brits as saying to the French "we want the ability to take n000 tons of brie each year for nothing".

"Entitled"?? Cyber it's called a negotiation. I doubt you would ever call the UK "entitled" whatever their negotiating position was. It goes back to the fact that if you leave a club they are not going to allow you to have a more favourable relationship than if you were a member.

Please examine critically what you are saying. Whatever your view on Brexit, the fact that the EU is striking a tough negotiating position does not show that "we're better off out". This smacks of confirmation bias. It shows that they are looking after their own interests and we are no longer included in that for better or for worse.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#156 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-March-03, 12:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 09:58, said:

You are correct that the one who owns the ball is entitled to make the rules. If that is disagreeable to you, find another game or go play with yourself. B-)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#157 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-03, 12:35

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-March-03, 12:24, said:

You are correct that the one who owns the ball is entitled to make the rules. If that is disagreeable to you, find another game or go play with yourself. B-)

This is rubbish, think about it. We are divorcing, but I want what is blatantly YOUR car and puppy to go with mine.

#158 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-March-03, 14:38

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 12:35, said:

This is rubbish, think about it. We are divorcing, but I want what is blatantly YOUR car and puppy to go with mine.

No, divorce is a poor analogy. This is more like abandoning a spouse because you think there is something better for you. How about looking at it factually. The EU did not leave you; you left the EU for cause. Now that you are free of the EU, that cause is moot. You are starting fresh. They owe you nothing, while you owe them nothing.

#159 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-March-03, 15:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-March-03, 12:35, said:

Tough *****...

One way or another, you're going to need to put stuff that is valuable onto the table.
If not, you can sit there in your happy little island and sell rocks to one another...
Alderaan delenda est

#160 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-March-03, 15:25

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-March-03, 14:38, said:

No, divorce is a poor analogy. This is more like abandoning a spouse because you think there is something better for you. How about looking at it factually. The EU did not leave you; you left the EU for cause. Now that you are free of the EU, that cause is moot. You are starting fresh. They owe you nothing, while you owe them nothing.

I see it more like abandoning a spouse because we've discovered they're having an affair (with a federal Europe)

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users