• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you open?

#21 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-27, 11:15

FelicityR, on 2018-May-26, 18:27, said:

Thank you for all your replies. Looks like I owe my husband an apology. We arrived in a 4 contract on a 5-3 fit going down one, when the same nine tricks are available in no-trumps. I am perhaps 'resulting' on this one hand but I have learnt a valuable lesson here.

If you are going to open then it has to be spades. In mp, one should always open. I am not so sure in imps in first or second seat. It is a bad 12 point hand for a 4 spade contract. If my KQ was in the same suit, I would open. If I was down late in a match, I might pass if I believe opp would open and hope contract goes down in 4 spades while I make 3.

I would never open 1D.

#22 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-27, 12:47

It's by no means perfect but keep your eye on the ball as to when to offer 3nt as a landing spot after a spade fit is established.

After 1 forcing 1nt, 2 then 3 as a 3-card limit raise gets an obvious pass here but if accepting, consider doing so with 3nt depending on texture etc. and trust partner to go back to 4 when it's right.

No guarantee but responder MAY have had an opportunity here depending on the auction and they occur fairly frequently if you play 3-card drury with bid where you live (when it's not a simple 3 or 4 of the trump suit) follow ups. Constructive raises and help suit game tries with one of ours being 2nt can work too.

Just keep the opportunities on your radar and be prepared for the occasional oops while fine tuning things.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#23 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-27, 13:47

Thank you for all your replies. Looks like I owe my husband an apology. We arrived in a 4 contract on a 5-3 fit going down one, when the same nine tricks are available in no-trumps. I am perhaps 'resulting' on this one hand but I have learnt a valuable lesson here.

Well, this is more interesting. How did you reach 4 ? What kind of hand had your partner? Did anyone have the opportunity to suggest NT?

Maarten Baltussen

#24 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-May-28, 00:18

I'm also opening 1 on both hands.

#25 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-28, 02:11

opening 1d is ok. it's not my way, but it's far from as unusual as people here are implying.

#26 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-28, 14:20

PhilG007, on 2018-May-27, 07:14, said:

4 of a major or 3NT? Often a difficult decision and more often than not a decision to reach correctly.
And MPs or IMPs can depend on the right choice. Is there any guidelines which can help?

With 44 fit, you usually play better in 4M. Any ruf in any hand will bring an extra trick.

Only with 53 could you consider 3NT. For 3NT to be better you also need very balanced distributions with no profitable ruff (eg 5332 facing 4333), scattered honors in the short suits and obviously enough HCPs. Often, in that case, the trump suit will be not too good and could suffer the loss of trump trick in case they break 41 in defense.

The decision has to be made knowingly by both players e.g.;
- 1M-2M-2NT-3NT-pass: responder proposes NT (eg 9 HCPs 4333 with Q and Js) and opener accepts; with a small doubleton or concentrated values in 2 suits, opener would reject and bid 4M
- 1M - limit raise w/ 3 trumps - 3NT - pass: opener proposes and responder accepts

#27 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-03, 05:48

Not an uncommon problem. For example I think most people realise that 4333 hands opposite 4333 produce better (or less worse) chances in NT than in a suit even where there is a 44 fit. Not so commonly realised is that 5(332) opposite 3(433) will quite often play better in NT (there will be no ruff in the short hand) - and there are other shapes too. Key is suit quality and the level you want to play at. With only half the deck, you generally want to play in your suit as opps have enough cards to give you a hard time in NT. At the game level, when your suit quality is such that you're going to have a hard time setting up the 53 fit (and the side suits are by definition well stopped), you will usually be better off in NT, otherwise the suit may be the safer bet.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#28 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-04, 19:42

I'd also add that when an 8+ fit it known, at matchpoints prefer to play 3N if values are 27-32ish - e.g. not enough for slam with two balances ahnds, but a more than minimum game values. Often produces the same tricks as 4M, and sometimes makes when 4M isn't (e.g. 5-0 trump break)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users