BBO Discussion Forums: balance with 2 jacks? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

balance with 2 jacks?

Poll: balance with 2 jacks? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you balance or go quietly?

1. 2d (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. p (19 votes [79.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-03, 19:10

Matchpoints

1d promises 4 unless exactly 4=4=3=2

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-03, 19:23

No!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-June-03, 19:30

I'm passing. If RHO had passed originally, you would have passed also. You have virtually nothing, so partner has to have a big hand to get to half the points in the deck. If you had 5-6 points you might contest figuring both had about half the deck, but with nothing best to let things lie.

#4 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-03, 19:30

For me, thinking about bidding 2 would be a very severe overbid. Actually bidding 2 would probably give me (or my partner) a heart attack.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-03, 20:45

I'm balancing. Believe in da law.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 04:31

11 loser hand, no defense, and no offense to speak of. Maybe East intended 1 as forcing and they have had a misunderstanding. At best, you push them up a level which I expect them to easily make. If partner competes further, you can get doubled and go for a lot more than a spade partial.

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-04, 04:37

no way we could easily balance them into 4s
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#8 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-June-04, 08:15

Ok, let's assume good competition and make sure that they are breathing. Against club hacks; they might have missed a game but even then they'll just slap 2 or 3S down and we havent lost anything.

Partner probably owns 18-19 balanced here so it's a 20-20 deck. It's NON VUL VS NON VUL which is the time we should be bidding our heads off.
Hi y'all!

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 09:55

The main thing I fear by bidding is find W with a shape like 2533, E with something like 4225, and pushing E into a competitive 2 bid that scores a trick more than spades.

It doesn't seem likely enough to stop me bidding. As Phil said, this is W/W. If P's got some distribution we might profitably compete to the 3 or even 4 level.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-June-04, 11:01

View PostJinksy, on 2016-June-04, 09:55, said:

The main thing I fear by bidding is find W with a shape like 2533, E with something like 4225, and pushing E into a competitive 2 bid that scores a trick more than spades.

It doesn't seem likely enough to stop me bidding. As Phil said, this is W/W. If P's got some distribution we might profitably compete to the 3 or even 4 level.

They have at least 7 trump otherwise pard has 5S.
Hi y'all!

#11 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 16:44

This depends quite a bit on what partner's pass means. Some seem to play that they only pass in that seat with 12-14 balanced (or a freak with long spades). Others pass with a much wider range of hands.

Can partner have 18-19 balanced, or would she have rebid 1N?

Can partner have a 14 count (31)54, or would she have rebid 2C or X?

Can partner have a 12 count (22)63, or would she have rebid 2D?

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-05, 04:15

View PostPhil, on 2016-June-04, 11:01, said:

They have at least 7 trump otherwise pard has 5S.

Good point. Hard to think of any way they're going to improve their part score, then.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-05, 08:33

View PostPhil, on 2016-June-03, 20:45, said:

I'm balancing. Believe in da law.

I am at least an agnostic when it comes to the Law. This hand illustrates a bit of why. LOTT: The total number of tricks for us playing in our suit plus the total for them in their suit equals (well, tends to approximately equal) the total number of trump in our suit and their suit.

OK, we have how many diamonds between us? If (as here we are told is the case) partner opens 1D on 4=4=3=2 it might be seven. More likely it is at least eight. It could be nine. Or (not likely) ten. They have how many spades between them? My guess is seven, maybe 5-2. Possibly 4-3. Or maybe they have eight. I suppose they could have nine, if the spade bidder has six and the heart bidder is minimal for his overcall and has three spades. At any rate, I have no confident opinion about how many diamonds we have and no confident opinion about how many spades they have. So even if I believe in the Law, and I am a skeptic, I don't see how to apply it.

Of course if we take the Law to be: Bid to the level equal to how many trump you (think that you) have, then this says bid 2D. Not for me. I have too often seen contracts improved after a balancing act from the opponents. And it cost the Palmer team 800 on a part score hand yesterday. So I pass.

I may be wrong, but I'll be right someday--- Josh White.
Ken

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-June-05, 09:32

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-June-03, 19:10, said:

Matchpoints
I rank
  • Pass = NAT. Let sleeping dogs lie. If partner has a good hand, then he probably has length. Hence, It's unlikely that you can outbid opponents. Opponents might have underbid or chosen an inferior strain. The better your fit, the more likely that opponents have a good fit , of which they are presently unaware.
  • 2 = NAT. Brave but might work. Phil's argument is persuasive.
  • 3 = PRE. Worth consideration.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-05, 10:40

I've balanced too many people into game with hands much better suited than this - Pass, and quickly.

I think in these situations it is always a good idea to remind oneself of the purposes of balancing - either to find our own contract, to find a mini-sacrifice that is worth less than the opponents partscore, or to cause the opponents to bid to a level where our chances of a set are increased, all the while doing so with some reasonable degree of safety.

I really don't see any of these reasons satisfied with this hand nor do I see an upside to bidding on.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-June-05, 10:48

I pass. Quite apart from the possibility of bouncing them into game, it means that when I do balance with 2D next time, partner will be better placed whether to accept the push to 3D when the opponents (inevitably) bid again.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#17 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-05, 15:24

I'm bidding. Let's push them a level higher.

I don't understand the comments about bouncing them into game - this is much less a worry at match points.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-June-05, 15:47

I polled this in BW.

Here is the poll results

http://bridgewinners...-problem-12522/
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-05, 16:52

partner must have 18-19 balanced and not bid because he's happier defending spades.

if he's 4342 1S and 2D might both make, but it's a tiny target to aim for. 2D is very dangerous. the opps know they have a misfit. they're going to be gagging to smack 2D. we could get carted out, particularly if p is 4432.

#20 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 08:40

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-June-03, 19:10, said:

Matchpoints

And this is EXACTLY the auction where partners shape is 4-4-3-2 as the reason partner has passed AND/or the opponents have severely underbid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users