• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chilli Bidding System looking for partner

#1 User is offline   giorgis_di 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-14, 04:50

Hello,

Recently I became aware of chilli bidding system (http://chillibidding.org/). Eventhough it seems interesting, it is quite difficult to find a partner to try it. Thus, I have two questions:

a) Does anyone play that system or does anyone has tried it before and so she/he can comment on whether its worth to spend time on it?
b) If anyone plays that system, I would be grateful if she/he plays with me

Thanks in advance

#2 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-14, 10:13

This seems to be a strong club system, with canapé 4cM's and relatively light openers.

http://chillibidding.org/opening-bids

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-15, 02:20

I have not played this system, but I have some experience of the majors first style the system has. So when they open 1 in Chilli they can have:

Kxx
Jxxx
KQJ
QJx

or

AKQJxx
xxxx
Kx
x

or

Kxxx
KQxxx
Ax
Qx

or any other hand with about (10)11--15(16) high card points and 4+ hearts, except some hands in the 15-17 range without a five card major.

When responding to this they use a very natural style. Opener's rebids are also natural, when having "standard" shape (balanced or 5+ hearts and a side suit or 6+ hearts). When having minor canapé shape though (4 hearts and a 5+ minor), responder is supposed to respond 1NT after 1-1, and I guess pass al 1NT response. If having 4 hearts and 5+ spades, opener rebids spades, but if holding 5+ hearts and 4 spades I guess you pass responder's 1NT response (the "Flannery hand" is problematic in many systems).

When I played a similar 1M style our 1M showed 10--14 hcp with 4+ cards, but were never 4432 nor 4333. When having both majors we bid our longest suit, so 1 did not deny a 4+ hearts. When responding to this responder used transfers (so 1NT showed clubs etc), but that is illegal in most USA events as far as I know. Even though our 1M openings contained less hand types than Chilli, and also a narrower point range, I found them pretty awkward many times. We then tried Moscito instead, where the 1M openings are the same but moved down one step (1 shows hearts, 1 shows spades). This is easier since responder can bid 1M as a relay to get more information (we played it as a negative NT or an artificial game force).

To med Chilli's 1 opening seems a bit rough too. It has a narrow point range but contains many shapes (any shape without a five card major). When the opponents enter the bidding opener has lost the initiative, the same way as if they disturb a strong club. I have some experience from this when I played a 1 opening showing 12-16 unbalanced or 15-17 NT. Now the 1 opening in Chilli is better defined since its point range is more narrow and the opening denies a 5+ major, but it will still lead to awkward situations.

Now Chilli can probably be a fun system to play (opening majors is fun, opening 2m with a 6+ suit is fun), but according to me it has 4 "bad" opening bids (1, 1, 1 and 1) compared to natural, and four "good" opening bids (1NT, 2, 2 and 2NT). The bad news is that the bad bids are more common than the good ones, except perhaps the 1NT opening (which in Chilli shows 12--14 without a 4+ major, a 6+ minor or 5-5 minors -- so balanced or 5431/5422 with both minors).

If you are interested in Chilli I would recommend that you look at the Magic Diamond system (or Magic D-light). I'm not saying you should play that instead, but at least compare the two.

#4 User is offline   raoz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-21, 09:03

Hi,
I also haven't played that particular system, though I do have some experience with similar systems. It seems quite interesting(and well documented) and I'd like to play it with you, if you so wish. PM me if you're interested.
-Rao Zvorovski

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users