• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sit?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-07, 16:14

TM, IMPs, all good players, including CHO

No agreements on what partner's transfer completed to 2 shows.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-07, 17:09

Yes, sit. Partner knows I am broke and he based his decision on that. J is a great card, it means we can probably finesse twice if I lead it.

I will ask what the 3 bid means but it probably won't affect my decision. Won't affect the lead either, unless it turns out they had a misunderstanding so probably neither of them have a heart stopper.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-December-07, 19:45

Pass.

They doubled 1 NT, so the transfer to is forced on any hand where you're unwilling to play 1 NTx and have a decided preference to play in . It promises nothing else.

Once they voluntarily bid 3 NT, partner should know you've got to be virtually without points. So partner's double must be made with some reasonable expectation of beating 3 NT in his own hand. If partner didn't want to let them play 3 NT, then a raise to 4 could have been made or some other suit bid. It wouldn't be unusual for partner to hold something like AJx xxx Ax KQJ10x where 3 NT always goes down unless they can score 8 tricks and a off the top.

As a rule, it's almost never right to save partner when partner does something unusual. Trust partner! They may have a really good reason for doing what they are doing.

Finally, if 3 NTx doesn't work out, it's not your problem. You didn't make the double and never promised anything with your bidding. It's much better to discuss the double than try to explain going for a number in 4 when 3 NT can't make.

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-December-07, 22:17

I would pass and think it clear. What would an X of their 3 stopper ask mean on this auction?

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 01:29

running would be terrible - you've not been asked your opinion. you should be swapping +300 for -500 or some such.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 03:51

OK thanks seems unanimous. I passed and didn't even consider running at the table.

I lead a heart, but the suit blocks and I have no entry to cash out. Partner had KJT, opps were Ax / Qx

That didn't matter in the end, because opps had long clubs and made without losing the lead, but I wondered whether I should have foreseen the danger and done something.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 04:31

unless your partner had a strong side suit like kqjtx with outside entries (doesn't sound like it from what you said), he doubled for no reason. this is a common bbo trait.

#8 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 09:49

Am I the only one who thinks 2 as an xfer is a really bad approach here? Undiscussed I would have just thought it was a retreat to diamonds unless we'd specifically agreed both 'exit transfers if they double our 1N opening' and 'system on when we overcall bid 1N as an overcall'. And exit transfers IMO are uniquely bad as a runout over 1N doubled. You let them show about 4x as many hand types, half without rescuing you from the wriggle, just so you can hide the better defined hand.

Anyway, pass :P

Also, I would think P's X asks for a diamond lead.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 10:20

Jinksy, on 2015-December-08, 09:49, said:

Am I the only one who thinks 2 as an xfer is a really bad approach here? Undiscussed I would have just thought it was a retreat to diamonds unless we'd specifically agreed both 'exit transfers if they double our 1N opening' and 'system on when we overcall bid 1N as an overcall'. And exit transfers IMO are uniquely bad as a runout over 1N doubled. You let them show about 4x as many hand types, half without rescuing you from the wriggle, just so you can hide the better defined hand.

Well this was a random partner (star, but random). With opps opening 1D and no agreements on what XX or a direct 2H by me would mean, it seemed that 2D as a transfer was the most practical call that would avoid a misunderstanding.

Helene also hinted that she would lead a diamond. I thought X was asking for "our suit" there, confirming the heart fit and entries.

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-08, 13:18

I dislike exit xfers as a convention, but my main complaint is that I wouldn't dream of pulling 2D to 2H! Undiscussed after a double it seems like it would obviously be weak and natural.

#11 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-December-08, 18:39

Jinksy, on 2015-December-08, 09:49, said:

That's what I thought. Aren't we always leading a heart? The double should ask for a lead of another suit.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-December-08, 18:42

North's 2 bid is strange, btw. If you don't have any agreements about the distinction between pass, rdbl and 2 it serves nu purpose, and he runs the risk that 2 wasn't meant as a transfer.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 03:05

diana_eva, on 2015-December-08, 03:51, said:

OK thanks seems unanimous. I passed and didn't even consider running at the table.

I lead a heart, but the suit blocks and I have no entry to cash out. Partner had KJT, opps were Ax / Qx

That didn't matter in the end, because opps had long clubs and made without losing the lead, but I wondered whether I should have foreseen the danger and done something.

helene_t, on 2015-December-08, 18:42, said:

North's 2 bid is strange, btw. If you don't have any agreements about the distinction between pass, rdbl and 2 it serves nu purpose, and he runs the risk that 2 wasn't meant as a transfer.

I disagree.
Here there are some basic agreements for sure because North is a bbo star.
BBO star player must be expert ,as a expert, after 2 - X - 2,the exact meanings of 2 should be exact 3-card support with exact better defensive cards in .Even final double is not necessarily best,it showed cooperative double at least. Actually these are common sense of expert approach.
I can't get that hand, would you post that hand ? (of course delete usenames of hand.)
Let's better to understand BBO star - expert.

#14 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 03:42

diana_eva, on 2015-December-08, 03:51, said:

but I wondered whether I should have foreseen the danger and done something.

It sounds like partner should have foreseen the danger and done nothing.

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 08:34

helene_t, on 2015-December-08, 18:42, said:

I thought 2H shows a heart fit - and it did, but I mentioned it wasn't discussed because we were both just guessing.

I also thought X asks for a heart lead, not an unusual lead. I think that is what partner meant too.

Overall it was a good game and a good partner. I didn't post this as a star bashing topic, I genuinely wanted to know whether there were some meta-agreements at high level, like "this is a cooperative X so you can pull it if unsure" or some such.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 13:33

diana_eva, on 2015-December-09, 08:34, said:

Overall it was a good game and a good partner. I didn't post this as a star bashing topic, I genuinely wanted to know whether there were some meta-agreements at high level, like "this is a cooperative X so you can pull it if unsure" or some such.

Sure. My comment was mostly diana-bashing :P I would have just bid 2, then facepalmed in disbelief if (when?) my P bid 2 over it.

#17 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 13:38

Jinksy, on 2015-December-09, 13:33, said:

Sure. My comment was mostly diana-bashing :P I would have just bid 2, then facepalmed in disbelief if (when?) my P bid 2 over it.

He probably wd have looked at your acol profile and conclude you don't play transfers anyway :P

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-09, 18:38

Is this a lightner type x or is it merely a practical application of make your normal lead and we will set it? At MP I would be much more inclined to use the latter approach because it will get us more MP more often but at imps the potential pay out from using the lightner type x is huge even if not as common where we will reap more small rewards for passing 3n and getting a heart lead and sometimes reap monster rewards when we can get p to make the unusual lead that will set 3n. I am for the lightner type x at IMPS asking for an unusual lead and
I would lead the

club T

P did not super accept our transfer and did not xx 2d so these leads seem wrong and surely p would not bid this way with long good spades so thank goodness I have a club to lead.
Hoping to find p with Qxx QJ Axx KQJ9x or some such. P may also have a hand type that can stand a club lead xxx KQJx QJx AKx and still be able to make a timely heart switch.

The above reflects my meta thinking but playing with a partner w/o prior discussion is it best to think everyone plays this way or merely go with the idea that occurs with greater frequency?? Intriguing problem. Note that there is no thought given to pulling the x since p should realize we are broke.

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-10, 03:56

I'm curious if I'm in the minority here. Straw poll - how many people think:

a) 2 is an xfer here undiscussed with a competent pickup partner,
b) 2 should be an xfer here after discussion

?

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-December-10, 05:37

a) no, undiscussed I would assume system on after our overcall but off after their double (regardless of whether partner opened or overcalled)

b) no, playing strong notrump I prefer system on after double but off after our overcall (regardless of whether they double or not)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users