BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#15521 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-01, 16:27

View Postkenberg, on 2020-June-01, 13:03, said:

Upon reflection, I thought of something Biden could say that I believe would have been very well received:

The country only has one president at a time and right now I am not that president. I will not be saying what the person who now is president should be doing in this time of crisis. However. This struggle, this too often deadly struggle, between police officers and the African-American community needs to be addressed. As president, I give you my sacred word that this problem will be addressed, fairly, creatively and energetically. Police officers have a dangerous job to do, they need to be trained thoroughly and they need to respect the community that they serve. African-Americans, and all Americans, need to benefit from the security of a well trained police force rather than fear the police force. This issue must be addressed and as president I will address it. What happened should not have happened, it should not have happened before. We must keep it from happening again.

Well, I am sure glad you aren't writing Biden's speeches.

"I will address it." - Aha, after you voted for the 1990s crime bill, now you think you should fix it alone?? Are you even aware that the President of the United States (nor his federal government) is not training police officers? This is not the time for you to take over, you need to listen to us and other activists around the country. This problem can't be fixed by you alone.

" they need to be trained thoroughly and they need to respect the community that they serve" - So, are you saying police officers aren't trained? They don't respect their community? Mr. Biden, I am a lifelong Democrat and have been proudly, respectfully serving my community as a police officer for 30 years. I will have to decide whether to abstain or vote for you opponent in November.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15522 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-June-01, 17:54

So, looks like Trump just had a bunch of peaceful protestors tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets so he could walk to a church and pose for an incredibly awkward photo op

https://pbs.twimg.co...=jpg&name=large
Alderaan delenda est

#15523 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-01, 18:13

It could well be that my concerns about Biden are just off the wall. I have been wrong before. I have not changed my mind. I think he is going at it wrong. Others disagree. All others, apparently.
Ken

#15524 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-June-01, 18:13

Bill Barr and 53 U.S. Senators have allowed this to happen - are complicit.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15525 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-01, 18:15

View Postkenberg, on 2020-June-01, 18:13, said:

It could well be that my concerns about Biden are just off the wall. I have been wrong before. I have not changed my mind. I think he is going at it wrong. Others disagree. All others, apparently.

It's not that we (I, anyway) disagree; it's that the issue is so much bigger than a normal election cycle that anyone should be able to destroy Trump, and if not, then we may as well look for another place to live.

On a side note, I'm guessing that Vladimir Putin must have borrowed Bush's "Mission Accomplished" banner and has it flying high.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15526 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-01, 19:06

A senior Biden advisor:

Before one more person @ me over why @JoeBiden needs to be in public more, I beg you to tweet at
@MSNBC and @CNN and ask them why they didn't carry his TWO public events today?

https://twitter.com/...526454662836224

Too bad Biden hired Ron Klain rather than kenberg!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15527 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-01, 21:46

Now that Trump is trying to go full autocrat, everyone should be reminded that the Republicans in the U.S. Senate had their chance to remove him from office. Remember that in November.

#15528 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 05:29

Biden's response is lame:

We are a nation in pain, but we must not allow this pain to destroy us. We are a nation enraged, but we cannot allow our rage to consume us. Please stay safe. Please take care of each other.

As President, I will help lead this conversation — and more importantly, I will listen, just as I did today visiting the site of last night's protests in Wilmington.

F#ck conversation. Where is the condemnation of a brutal murder by an officer of the law whose sworn duty is to protect the public?

Too bad Biden isn't listening to kenberg.

As for his choice of senior adviser, I suggest he try to hire the guy who's advising Mitch McConnell who said

In no world whatsoever should arresting a man for an alleged minor infraction involve a police officer putting his knee on the man’s neck for nine minutes while he cries out ‘I can’t breathe’ and then goes silent. Our nation cannot deafen itself to the anger, the pain and the frustration of black Americans. Our nation needs to hear this.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#15529 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-June-02, 05:46

I thought I had said my piece about Biden's campaign and should let it be but for better or worse I want to say a bit more.

The cherdano post, with the complaint from Ron Klain. I link it with speculation by Winston and others that Biden would not be able to get air coverage. The short version is that nobody votes for a whiner. The longer version is that the campaign does employ people who know about the media, does it not? And, again, I want to celebrates Biden win rather than complain about how unfair it is that he lost. So my message to Klain would be "If the lack of coverage upsets you, get your butt in gear and do something about it". And no, I do not know exactly what. I might be of use if a theorem needs proving but I know nothing, and happily know nothing, about getting media coverage.

Yes I am aware that the president of the United States does not train police officers. I am aware of that. I do believe, however, that the president can help solve problems. That is not to say that it is easy. To shift the focus some, I think inequity in education has to be addressed. I know the president does not train teachers. I think he has a role to play. By no means to I say that these matters are simple. But they are important. I think the economic based inequity in education is dramatically worse than it was when I was a high school student some 60+ years ago. The racially based inequity in education is bad now and was bad then.

There is also the discussion, from Richard and others, of whether I have looked for things Biden has been saying and doing. The answer is yes, but maybe, ok surely, not as much as I should do. But wait! I'm a retired guy with at least a modest interest in politics. Biden needs the votes of those whose everyday lives leave them exhausted. Again my refrain: I don't want to hear that Biden lost because people just didn't put enough effort into finding what he was doing or saying.

It's early, sort of. It's only June. I hope we will not later be hearing that it is only July or only August.

Nothing is absolute. I might later be eating my words. But I find it ominous that an adviser to Biden is complaining about lack of coverage instead of planing what to do about it.
Ken

#15530 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-June-02, 05:53

View Posty66, on 2020-June-02, 05:29, said:

Biden's response is lame:

F#ck conversation. Where is the condemnation of a brutal murder by an officer of the law whose sworn duty is to protect the public?

You mean comments like the following:

"There is systemic racism, white supremacy, it's real ... You see it. I think we all see it but African-Americans see more clearly."

"I promise you... that we're going to make sure that the economic recovery deals with the institutional structures and institutional racism, but also economic structures that need to be fixed,"

Note: I personally agree that what the polices officers did in Minneapolis looks like murder. And it's fine for you, or I, or even folks in the media to say so. It is grossly inappropriate for the President (or for that matter the Democratic nominee) to be making the same sorts of comments before a trial takes place.

I don't want to live in a world where the executive is interfering with individual criminal cases. This is part of the way in which Trump has perverted the justice system and it needs to end.
Alderaan delenda est

#15531 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-June-02, 06:59

There is systemic racism, white supremacy, it's real ... You see it. I think we all see it but African-Americans see more clearly.

I promise you... that we're going to make sure that the economic recovery deals with the institutional structures and institutional racism, but also economic structures that need to be fixed.

No sh#t systemic racism is real. Nobody knows this better than Biden. But that's not the sh#t he needs to be emphasizing right now.

He would do well to spare us all the platitudes and focus on a simple message:

1. In no world whatsoever should arresting a man for an alleged minor infraction involve a police officer putting his knee on the man’s neck for nine minutes while he cries out ‘I can’t breathe’ and then goes silent.

2. Don't loot. Vote!
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#15532 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-June-02, 09:17

How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change by Barack Obama

#15533 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-02, 09:28

View Postkenberg, on 2020-June-02, 05:46, said:

I thought I had said my piece about Biden's campaign and should let it be but for better or worse I want to say a bit more.

The cherdano post, with the complaint from Ron Klain. I link it with speculation by Winston and others that Biden would not be able to get air coverage. The short version is that nobody votes for a whiner. The longer version is that the campaign does employ people who know about the media, does it not? And, again, I want to celebrates Biden win rather than complain about how unfair it is that he lost. So my message to Klain would be "If the lack of coverage upsets you, get your butt in gear and do something about it". And no, I do not know exactly what. I might be of use if a theorem needs proving but I know nothing, and happily know nothing, about getting media coverage.

Yes I am aware that the president of the United States does not train police officers. I am aware of that. I do believe, however, that the president can help solve problems. That is not to say that it is easy. To shift the focus some, I think inequity in education has to be addressed. I know the president does not train teachers. I think he has a role to play. By no means to I say that these matters are simple. But they are important. I think the economic based inequity in education is dramatically worse than it was when I was a high school student some 60+ years ago. The racially based inequity in education is bad now and was bad then.

There is also the discussion, from Richard and others, of whether I have looked for things Biden has been saying and doing. The answer is yes, but maybe, ok surely, not as much as I should do. But wait! I'm a retired guy with at least a modest interest in politics. Biden needs the votes of those whose everyday lives leave them exhausted. Again my refrain: I don't want to hear that Biden lost because people just didn't put enough effort into finding what he was doing or saying.

It's early, sort of. It's only June. I hope we will not later be hearing that it is only July or only August.

Nothing is absolute. I might later be eating my words. But I find it ominous that an adviser to Biden is complaining about lack of coverage instead of planing what to do about it.

Ken I understand your frustration; however, on the subject of media, only this morning my iphone news had 2 or 3 articles that said Biden was planning a major speech in the next few days. Aha! I thought. Ken will like this. But when I went to the WaPo online site - which was the source - nothing. I then did a Google search and again nothing. I don't know how this news came to either be or perhaps disappeared in a cloud vacuum.

In 2015-16, Trump - with help from Russia - used Facebook and Twitter to reach millions of voters, even to the point where Russians helped organize real events. Biden is not Trump. I doubt the people who support Biden - seriously or only somewhat - rely on Facebook and Twitter as their news sources. This is a different world. I am 12 years younger than you, so my strongest recollections of news and what that means is from ABC, CBS, and NBC and people like Walter Cronkite and Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. Now, for millions, news is whatever captivates the imagination of some "friend" on Facebook who "shares" that find with the world - and it is staggering how gullible are so many millions of people that unless it is total junk, spread it as though it were real and newsworthy.

If Biden's path to victory lies with reaching those people who rely on that quagmire of nonsense and misinformation to keep them informed, he has almost zero chance, IMO. He can't outTrump Trump in crazy or in Russian help. Biden's best bet is to act presidential, IMO. I hope he is planning a major speech.

But just try to find the story about it.....

#15534 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-June-02, 09:38

The speach is available at

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1DXxyeWBWDYxM

Note that Twitter is a feastering dung heap however, it is useful to get this sort of information
Alderaan delenda est

#15535 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-02, 09:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-June-02, 09:38, said:

Note that Twitter is a feastering dung heap however, it is useful to get this sort of information

Thanks. I guess the "news" on my phone is from yesterday or earlier.

#15536 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-02, 10:07

View Posty66, on 2020-June-02, 05:29, said:

As for his choice of senior adviser, I suggest he try to hire the guy who's advising Mitch McConnell who said

I really don't take anything McConnell says about this seriously. The GOP has been systematically dismantling many civil rights laws and policies for years, and he's their nominal leader.

#15537 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-02, 10:38

America first? Guess again: 100% foreign ownership of.....

CUMULUS MEDIA is a leading audio-first media and entertainment company delivering premium content to over a quarter billion people every month ...

#15538 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-June-02, 12:26

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-June-02, 09:38, said:

It's a decent speech, I somehow had portions of the text, already. I will try to find the full text and read the rest later.

As to the way of getting this speech, I regret opening the link. I am somewhere between tech savvy and tech hopeless. I am cautious. Not as cautious as Zel has sometimes suggested, but cautious.

Here is what happened. I clicked on the link and something came up, partly a stationary screen, partly as some stuff coming on and off, and a note saying that I need an App. When I saw "need an App" I closed it. That's me being cautious. But then I heard something through the speakers. So I only thought that I had closed the link. It is still going on although the volume has dropped.

Added: I have since succeeded in closing it, but I hope to delete any trace of it. I don't trust anything that does things that I had no intention of having it do. If it was my error, so be it. I don't trust it. And no, I am not sure just what "it" is. I am hoping it did not download an un-asked for App.

Added: If this is what is needed to listen to Biden, he has a problem that needs a solution. I am sure I am not the only person out there who is cautious about computer Apps and such.
Ken

#15539 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-June-02, 12:58

If you click on the play button, the video will play

You can also download an app if you want
this is not required to play the video
Alderaan delenda est

#15540 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-June-02, 13:53

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-02, 10:07, said:

I really don't take anything McConnell says about this seriously. The GOP has been systematically dismantling many civil rights laws and policies for years, and he's their nominal leader.

Me neither. McConnell said what he had to say to keep from losing votes in his upcoming election where this will definitely be an issue.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

89 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 89 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google