BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#19541 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-March-04, 13:21

View PostChas_P, on 2022-March-02, 19:54, said:

As previously stated, those like you Arend are really amusing to some extent and to be pitied to another extent. Anyone who disagrees with you is judged to be "racist", "misogynistic", "homophobic",
"islamophobic" or numerous other "phobics".

You know, reading comprehension helps when you want to win an argument. I didn't even call Trump racist in my post. I've never used the work phobic with prefix islamo on this forum, and I've only used it once with the prefix homo, accurately describing a common cliche, not a poster or person.

Anyway, this shall be the last time I've clicked on that plus to see a hidden reply from someone I've blocked. Enjoy your life, hopefully away from BBF, it doesn't do you any good.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19542 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-04, 20:07

View Posthrothgar, on 2022-March-04, 05:37, said:

But that's OK, as long as Daddy is yelling into the camera, little Chas can pretend that it's still 1950 and that his dick might someday get hard once again...

LOL. I wish you happiness Richard. This is only an internet message board and I seriously doubt any of the world's great problems will be solved here. Nonetheless, you just come across as an arrogant, foul-mouthed, greasy little turd who is mighty proud of the way he turned out. Your obsession with my (now infrequent) erections is really unhealthy. Please seek help soon.

Your friend in cyberspace,

Charles

#19543 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-05, 03:55

View Postcherdano, on 2022-March-04, 13:21, said:

I didn't even call Trump racist in my post.

Don't worry, I've called Manchurian President Trump a racist many times in my posts. The worst thing about Trump's racism is that he made is fashionably QOP to be openly racist and to flaunt their white nationalism. After all, if the president is openly a racist, it empowers his stooges to be opening racist since they were already at the limits of their self control to avoid being openly racist.

#19544 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-March-08, 10:38

Joe Biden has more courage in his fingernail than the entire klan of Trump.

Courage is saying no to Russian oil, not sabotaging Ukraine in exchange for a Trump tower Moscow.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19545 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-08, 14:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-March-08, 10:38, said:

... has more courage in his fingernail than the entire klan of Trump.

Not a high bar. Most people have a fingernail.

#19546 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-08, 18:49

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-March-08, 10:38, said:

Joe Biden has more courage in his fingernail than the entire klan of Trump.

Courage is saying no to Russian oil, not sabotaging Ukraine in exchange for a Trump tower Moscow.

In fairness to the Manchurian President Trump, he was hoping for a chain of hotels in Russia.

#19547 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-10, 09:20

You hate to see it ...

Another person pushing the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, Fox News Channel personality Tucker Carlson, paradoxically strengthened a lawsuit against the network. Smartmatic, a company that makes voting machines, has sued FNC over the many instances of FNC personalities falsely claiming that the voting machines had been part of a massive voter fraud in 2020. FNC says the lawsuit is “baseless” and an assault upon the First Amendment.

Today, New York Supreme Court Judge David B. Cohen ruled that the case against FNC can go forward because the statements of its personalities were baseless and reckless. One of the key points in the decision was Carlson’s own initial dismissal of Powell’s outrageous claims. Carlson’s repeated demands for proof of her claims and her inability to provide any suggest that FNC knew, or should have known, that Powell was lying.

https://heathercoxri...arch-9-2022?s=r

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#19548 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-March-11, 03:56

View PostChas_P, on 2022-February-28, 19:05, said:

Agreed.
Yes, Trump is a jerk. I truly hope the Republicans will pick DeSantis in 2024 (should he choose to run). But Trump is not dangerously incompetent. Biden is. (in my opinion)

Trump has recently suggested that we could help Ukraine by sending our bombers, but dress them up to look like Chinese planes, so Putin wouldn't blame us. Imagine if he were still in a position to implement such an insane strategy.

And Trump's incompetence in reacting to the pandemic caused thousands of people to die.

What is your definition of "dangerously incompetent"?

#19549 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-March-11, 08:16

View Postbarmar, on 2022-March-11, 03:56, said:

Trump has recently suggested that we could help Ukraine by sending our bombers, but dress them up to look like Chinese planes, so Putin wouldn't blame us. Imagine if he were still in a position to implement such an insane strategy.

And Trump's incompetence in reacting to the pandemic caused thousands of people to die.

What is your definition of "dangerously incompetent"?

Democrat
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19550 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-March-11, 10:29

Matt Yglesias said:

This was a tragic consequence of early-1990 deficit politics.

John Aziz said:

The more I look into what went wrong in Russia to lead to the rise of Putin, the more annoyed I become with the West, America, and Bush Sr’s failure to assist Gorbachev in making Glasnost and Perestroika into a success. There should have been a Soviet Marshall plan.

Richard Nixon, joined by a group of academics, called for a Marshall Plan approach.

It was criticized by conservative economists and the Bush administration rejected it due to “constrained resources.” Some guy named Joe Biden said Bush was being short-sighted.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#19551 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-March-12, 10:51

Zeynep Tufekci said:

https://www.theinsig...s-of-august?s=r

For the second anniversary of the pandemic, I write a counterfactual history of some of the key early turning points: accepting transmission without symptoms, recognizing airborne spread, the importance of clusters, and the need to increase vaccine supply and distribute it equitably.There is, obviously, more, but it’s already a lengthy article. Plus, early action obviously is crucial, as well as vaccination as fast and as widely as possible.

...On the political dysfunction: much has been written about it already, by many others. Occasionally, I do too. How to move forward despite it, and also while addressing it, is not an easy question whatsoever—and that is an understatement, obviously, to the depth of the challenge.

But there are two things to add here. One, Trump’s massive, negative impact on the first year of the pandemic in the United States is obvious. But it wasn’t just the United States that failed in ways, say, South Korea which was quite unlucky with early major superspreading events did not. Many countries, including many in Western Europe not ruled by incompetent wanna-be authoritarians failed in similar ways.

Plus, even in the United States, it wasn’t just Trump, as terrible as his administration was. It is a difficult truth, but many of our liberal institutions and key public health officials, many of whom did not work for Trump and thus were free to say what they wanted, made pronouncements and gave and promoted advice that turned out to be very wrong, and contrary to evidence. Were they well-meaning? I don’t doubt that part. We still need to do better, though. (Free article idea: tracing the first three-four months of the United States response, but not just Trump.)

Back to the counterfactual: the point is to figure out what was possible so that we can have a broader view of why those roads weren’t taken, exactly so that maybe, just maybe, we can learn and do better next time—not just for a pandemic, but clearly, the broad degradation of how our societies function. It’s so apparent over the past few decades: many things that became even more possible thanks to wealth, technology and science have become worse in their functioning. But that exact wealth, technology and science make it possible to turn this around.

Meanwhile, on a related note to this moment, I’m going to recommend two amazing books for this moment, both by the great historian Barbara Tuchman.

First is "Guns of August: The Outbreak of World War I", tracing the initial month of World War One, setting in place dynamics that would define the first half of the 20th century, arguably also the 1918 pandemic. (Non-affiliate links).

The second one "March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam", a history of societies that failed because the elites did not take actions that were plausible, available, rational and even in their self-interest.

My most sincere wish is that we stop writing an additional chapter to that book.

#19552 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-March-16, 13:20

Maggie Haberman said:

The breakaway Saudi-backed golf league is scheduled to play at Trump’s NJ club [June 29-31]

Bob Harig at Sports Illustrated said:

Trump's club was originally set to host this year’s PGA Championship but the tournament was moved to Southern Hills in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the aftermath of the Jan. 6, 2021 violence in Washington, D.C.

https://www.si.com/g...-four-us-events

#19553 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-16, 18:23

What a great comfort to know that, while the world is going to hell in a handbasket, at least this year's PGA Championship won't be played at a Trump golf club. I had really been worried about that. But I will definitely sleep better tonight knowing that it's been moved to WinstonM's home town. That should fix everything. Really. I'm enthused.

#19554 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-17, 08:10

View PostChas_P, on 2022-March-16, 18:23, said:

What a great comfort to know that, while the world is going to hell in a handbasket, at least this year's PGA Championship won't be played at a Trump golf club. I had really been worried about that. But I will definitely sleep better tonight knowing that it's been moved to WinstonM's home town. That should fix everything. Really. I'm enthused.

Sarcasm aside, putting Trump behind us is a very good thing. Not long ago some kowtowed to Trump out of fear, some out of greed, and others, for reasons that are totally beyond me, actually supported him. Perhaps, finally, we have reached a point where he is seen as the scum merchant that he is, as someone to be avoided. His presidency was very harmful to the country. We cannot undo the fact of Trump, we have to live with it as a national embarrassment. But we can say no more, it ends here, so no more. Every such action is important in recovering our national sanity.
Ken

#19555 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-March-17, 08:38

View PostChas_P, on 2022-March-16, 18:23, said:

It might seem that nothing any of us "normal" people do will ever make any difference. Rather it is that we never know what is going to make a difference. Not sitting in the seat assigned to us might seem like a small thing but in the right circumstances it can inspire a movement that changes a country and eventually leads to an "impossible" POTUS. Maybe such a small step will, as Ken puts it, put Trump behind us. Maybe the GOP will now come back from its authoritarian trajectory and allow the currently extremely fragile American democracy to re-establish itself. You never know where a small step might take a nation.

#19556 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-March-17, 09:31

All of the corporate events are BYOB (bring your own bone-saw).

#19557 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-March-17, 17:35

60,000,000 voted for Trump. They didn’t materialize overnight so that means that they have always been here and that is the most frightening realization of all.

#19558 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-17, 18:01

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-March-17, 17:35, said:

60,000,000 voted for Trump. They didn't materialize overnight so that means that they have always been here and that is the most frightening realization of all.

https://en.wikipedia...llion_Frenchmen

Ken

#19559 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-March-17, 18:21

You can tell a country has lost its way when the world’s concern is what will he do instead of what will they do.

#19560 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-17, 18:35

View PostGilithin, on 2022-March-17, 08:38, said:

It might seem that nothing any of us "normal" people do will ever make any difference. Rather it is that we never know what is going to make a difference. Not sitting in the seat assigned to us might seem like a small thing but in the right circumstances it can inspire a movement that changes a country and eventually leads to an "impossible" POTUS. Maybe such a small step will, as Ken puts it, put Trump behind us. Maybe the GOP will now come back from its authoritarian trajectory and allow the currently extremely fragile American democracy to re-establish itself. You never know where a small step might take a nation.

Yes. Things are definitely a lot better. I'm pumped.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

97 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 97 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google