BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#17001 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-18, 03:57

View Postawm, on 2020-November-17, 12:15, said:

One thing we've learned over the past nine months of Covid is the number of white collar jobs that can be effectively done remotely. Many businesses have actually found that "work from home" has increased productivity!

If we double-down on this by having the government provide tax incentives for firms to allow working remotely, we might find that a lot of city dwellers actually prefer to move out into small towns or rural areas. The same 100k/year salary that seems meager in Manhattan or San Francisco goes a long way in the mid-west!

Such movement could help improve our democracy by reducing the concentration of Democratic voters in the coastal cities, and the influx of spending from new, more affluent residents in some parts of the country could revitalize their economies as well. At the same time, this could reduce pressure on the sky-high housing prices in major cities, allowing the people who really want/need to live there a little breathing room.

I am really not sure about this. Last time I checked, most of my high-tech friends living in San Francisco didn't actually work in San Francisco, they worked in Palo Alto. Which (as awm of course knows) is a serious commute. Remote working post-pandemic means they can enjoy San Francisco coffee shops and bars without having to commute.

However, I also know plenty of people who moved out of San Francisco - to find a place where they can afford a slightly bigger apartment or house once they have a family.

As long as San Francisco zoning doesn't change - at first approximation it's illegal to build additional housing anywhere in the city - it's population essentially won't change. There is essentially a fixed amount of housing, and demand will only determine the price at which you can get it, not the number of people who will get it.

The same applies more or less to all major US cities.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17002 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-18, 09:33

The Onion said:

Governors Call On Gretchen Whitmer To Shut Down Their States So Residents Won’t Get Mad At Them.

Seth Meyers said:

Georgia secretary of state Brad Raffensperger said yesterday that Republican Senator Lindsey Graham pressured him to find a way to toss legally cast absentee ballots to reverse President Trump’s loss in the state. Man, just when you think Lindsey Graham couldn’t sink any lower — why would you think that?

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#17003 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-November-18, 10:57

Jonathan Bernstein at Bloomberg said:

On Tuesday, the Senate defeated President Donald Trump’s latest unqualified pick for the Federal Reserve Board — for now, at least.

The chamber is split 50-50 at this point over the nominee, Judy Shelton, but two Republicans who support her, Florida’s Rick Scott and Iowa’s Chuck Grassley, were absent; so was one Republican who opposes her, Tennessee’s Lamar Alexander. With Vice President-elect (and current Senator) Kamala Harris flying in to join the unanimously opposed Democrats, Republicans didn’t have the numbers on a procedural vote to get to a tie and allow outgoing Vice President Mike Pence to cast the deciding vote.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will be able to try again, but it’s not clear if he’ll prevail. The problem is that with three Republicans opposed, McConnell has a deadline — because new Arizona Senator Mark Kelly, who won a special election to fill the remainder of the late John McCain’s term, is scheduled to be sworn in when the Senate returns after Thanksgiving. That will reduce the Republican majority to 52-48 for the rest of the session, and provide the 51st vote against Shelton.

Meanwhile, Grassley announced on Tuesday that he has tested positive for the virus, so he’s unlikely to return from Iowa in the next week. McConnell will thus need for Scott to return, Alexander to stay out and everyone else to stick around in the run-up to Thanksgiving in order to get a 49-49 tie that Pence can break.

The fight is important because the Fed is important, although political scientist Sarah Binder is surely correct in thinking that Shelton, who holds highly unorthodox views on monetary policy, would be unlikely to have much influence at the Fed. But aside from its substantive importance, this conflict confirms again what we already knew about Trump and his party.

The president first announced that he’d propose Shelton in July of last year, and her nomination was going nowhere until the election. Throughout Trump’s term, Senate Republicans have repeatedly resisted nominees who deviate too far from party orthodoxy. When it comes to the Fed, that has included conservatives such as Stephen Moore and Herman Cain. They didn’t have standard Republican views (or conventional qualifications for the job), and Republican senators had no difficulty pushing back against Trump’s preferences. It’s a good reminder that when it comes to policy, Trump’s clout within the party has been meager at best — partly because he never really learned how to use his office to build influence.

After he lost the election to Joe Biden, however, the calculus changed. Instead of comparing Shelton to an alternative Republican nominee, the Senate majority now faced a very difference choice — as Binder puts it, “her confirmation would serve GOP interests by limiting Biden’s ability to make inroads in (re)shaping the Board.” So better a Republican they don’t like than taking their chances on a Democratic nominee.

That may offer a good preview of what’s in store if Republicans win one or both of the Senate runoffs and retain their majority. Just as they’re willing to sit back and allow Trump to prevent the presidential transition to begin, presumably because they’re willing to accept some risks to the nation in order to undermine Biden, it’s possible that a Republican majority in 2021 would simply refuse to consider many of Biden’s nominations. McConnell will probably have to confirm most of the new president’s cabinet, but he may attempt to simply blockade many other key posts. Even with a 52-48 majority, he’d still need to keep almost his entire conference on board to succeed. But the strength of a blockade strategy is that it prevents two or three Republicans from just joining Democrats in a floor vote; they’d have to find ways to get the nominations to the floor in the first place.

Of course, an extensive blockade would also harm the nation by leaving the executive branch without confirmed officials in key positions, and it would continue McConnell’s assault on democratic norms and values. There’s nothing at all wrong with a Senate majority defeating some presidential nominees, and bargaining hard to find acceptable compromises; executive-branch departments and agencies, after all, respond to both Congress and the president. Perhaps that’s all McConnell will do. But his track record suggests that he’d prefer slash-and-burn to negotiate-and-compromise, with most Republicans happy to go along. His (and their) sudden embrace of a nominee for the Fed Board whom they previously regarded as a kook — just in order to prevent Biden from having a vacancy — suggests that’s the direction we’re headed if McConnell is still the majority leader in the next Congress.

Welcome to the next four years.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#17004 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-November-18, 11:17

Jodi Derling, ER nurse in South Dakota said:

I am going to hold out hope that @govkristinoem can do the right thing and provide COVID leadership at a state level. Healthcare, education, the business sector - everyone needs you to surround yourself with the smartest people in the room and lead.

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a f#cking horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.

The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.

#17005 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-November-18, 12:28

This is why it is difficult to try to reason with the right wing - people in leadership positions who show who they are continue to be re-elected on their actions of placing America inferior to their own raw power.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17006 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-18, 12:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-November-18, 12:28, said:

This is why it is difficult to try to reason with the right wing - people in leadership positions who show who they are continue to be re-elected on their actions of placing America inferior to their own raw power.

You must be joking. You're a bridge player. How can you seriously ask a question like that on a forum like this? I'm still waiting to see anyone agree about anything at all in response to any sort of argument, rational, reasonable or otherwise.

#17007 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-18, 14:12

Even in today's political climate, I'm certain that statements and questions are not the same thing; direct questions end with (?).
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17008 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-18, 14:51

View Postkenberg, on 2020-November-17, 19:38, said:

No, but it's a good point. I have a long standing opinion that when the defense fails to set a contract that should have gone down, the first person who starts yelling is the person who made the error.

Unless they're a married couple, then it's always the same person's fault according to the other one, regardless of who made the actual mistake.

#17009 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-18, 15:04

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-November-18, 14:12, said:

Even in today's political climate, I'm certain that statements and questions are not the same thing; direct questions end with (?).

Implied (?)

#17010 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-18, 17:12

https://www.grammarb...tion/qMarks.asp

#17011 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-18, 22:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-November-18, 17:12, said:

where's smerriman when we need himPosted Image?

#17012 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-November-19, 00:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-November-17, 09:07, said:

Ken, I don't think your example story fits the circumstances. To make your story work, the husband and wife could still visit the marriage counselor but the problem would be that the wife has announced that she is moving to Guyana with Jim Jones because he is the true messenger of god and her husband is the enemy of Jim Jones and the only possible solution is for her husband to abandon his own views and join her.

Unless her husband is a trained deprogrammer, there is not much for him to accomplish, regardless of how much self-examination he does.

PS: I agree in principle with conversation and willingness to change - but there comes a time when that is ineffective - like when dealing with a schizophrenic in full-blown crisis.

I think the point of Ken's story is that the husband doesn't think he's doing anything wrong, so he doesn't need to change.

The relevancy is that both sides of our divided society think that they're right. So they each think to themselves "There's nothing I can do to solve this problem peacefully, because I'm OK and those folks just won't listen to reason", so nothing gets done except lots of arguing. If any progress is to be made, it must be by getting rid of the other side, or at least suppressing their influence.

#17013 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-19, 01:25

Unfortunately, the 2nd law of thermodynamics cannot be applied to countries, unless anarchy is a preferred form of government.
A couple can be advised to go their separate ways - this happens quite commonly after marriage guidance fails.
After the American civil war, there was an uneasy union. The two parties are yet to resolve their differences.

Perhaps, in the end, that's why Rhett left and didn't give a damn. Of course, It was a little before my time but it makes you wonder.

#17014 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-November-19, 08:12

View Postbarmar, on 2020-November-19, 00:58, said:

I think the point of Ken's story is that the husband doesn't think he's doing anything wrong, so he doesn't need to change.

The relevancy is that both sides of our divided society think that they're right. So they each think to themselves "There's nothing I can do to solve this problem peacefully, because I'm OK and those folks just won't listen to reason", so nothing gets done except lots of arguing. If any progress is to be made, it must be by getting rid of the other side, or at least suppressing their influence.

Yes, that was my point, plus a little more. I think that many, many, many people do not think all that much about politics. Even in this time of high voter turnout, many didn't vote. There are various reasons why this is so, but at any rate it is so,. Compare with sports. As a youngster, I was very interested in baseball. The St. Paup Saints were a Brooklyn Dodgers farm club, the Minneapolis Millers were a New York Giants farm club, I still recall a short time when a guy named Willie Mays was playing for the millers. Today, I can't name a single player on the Ravens (oops, baseball, so Orioles. But that emphasizes my point) team (we live close to Baltimore). People are interested in some things, not in other things

And so back to politics, I'll give a story (told recently in another context) about my childhood. I was 11 when the Korean War started in June of 1950, and that fall the teacher was explaining about the Red Menace. I had been closely following the war (for example I recall the Inchon landing and the diagrams showing how it was carried out). . My mother was infuriated about what she saw as the teacher trying to get us kids all in a frenzy. I wasn't in a frenzy but it still led to an argument with my mother claiming that all wars are about oil, me claiming that there was no oil in Korea or at least not enough to fight over. The point is that I was 11, my mother's education included about a year of high school, neither of us knew a hell of a lot. Many people are of this sort. In 152, Eisenhower said "I will go to Korea". That sufficed for many, it meant he would take care of it. How? Nobody asked.

People don't fundamentally change. We have social media to make a mess of things but we are still the same species. Some people are open to discussion, some aren't. But for most of us, that discussion has to be in short sentences or at least in short paragraphs. "I will go to Korea", by the guy who had been in charge of D-Day, sufficed for many.

Short version: We don't succeed by writing people off. Some maybe have to be written off, too bad but true, but not wholesale. That's a mistake. It misjudges people and it loses votes.
Ken

#17015 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-19, 12:56

View Postbarmar, on 2020-November-19, 00:58, said:

Obviously, I understood Ken's point - it wasn't subtle. Posted Image

But it is wrong to claim each side thinks they are right. Only one side is open to change, new ideas, admitting error, on and on.

#17016 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-November-19, 13:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-November-19, 12:56, said:

Obviously, I understood Ken's point - it wasn't subtle. Posted Image

But it is wrong to claim each side thinks they are right. Only one side is open to change, new ideas, admitting error, on and on.

Maybe in the US. Here there are still a load of people on the left who are convinced Jeremy Corbyn is the messiah rather than a naughty boy, despite the results of the Labour anti-Semitism enquiry (which was obviously some sort of plot).

#17017 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-19, 13:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-November-19, 13:12, said:

Maybe in the US. Here there are still a load of people on the left who are convinced Jeremy Corbyn is the messiah rather than a naughty boy, despite the results of the Labour anti-Semitism enquiry (which was obviously some sort of plot).

Just the Labour Party?
As opposed to the rest of the famously pro-Semitic aristocrats in the UK!

#17018 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-19, 17:05

At what point does this become attempted sedition and a felony with a penalty of 20 years?

DETROIT (AP) — President Donald Trump summoned Michigan's Republican legislative leaders to the White House for an extraordinary meeting Friday amid a longshot GOP push to subvert the democratic process that handed the battleground state to Democrat Joe Biden.

Two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press that Trump invited Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey and House Speaker Lee Chatfield. They agreed to go, according to a state official aware of the leaders' plans. The two officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were discussing private conversations.

#17019 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2020-November-19, 17:19

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-November-19, 13:44, said:

Just the Labour Party?
As opposed to the rest of the famously pro-Semitic aristocrats in the UK!

The problem with the Labour Party is that they are not generally hostile to specific ethnic, racial or religious groups, so the fact that the party if full of anti-semites stands out.

That BoJo insults Jewish people, too, is not remarkable since he insults many other groups also so people assume that bigotry is just his way of talking and it doesn't mean anything.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17020 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-19, 17:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-November-19, 17:19, said:

The problem with the Labour Party is that they are not generally hostile to specific ethnic, racial or religious groups, so the fact that the party if full of anti-semites stands out.

That BoJo insults Jewish people, too, is not remarkable since he insults many other groups also so people assume that bigotry is just his way of talking and it doesn't mean anything.

I know what you mean just like Dirty Harry - Hates everyone - still, everyone needs a partner...Posted Image

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

91 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 91 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google