• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

books reviews

#1 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-11, 04:09

Hi,

When Ben closed the book review and wrote that from now each book will have an individual thread i thought it make sense with the new forum, but the results are very clear, the wonderful thread of book died and nothing took its place. I think it will be a good idea to go back to one thread for the books as it used to be.

#2 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-March-18, 15:41

View PostWGF_Flame, on 2013-March-11, 04:09, said:

Hi,

When Ben closed the book review and wrote that from now each book will have an individual thread i thought it make sense with the new forum, but the results are very clear, the wonderful thread of book died and nothing took its place. I think it will be a good idea to go back to one thread for the books as it used to be.

Agree, should be software review and book review in separate forums.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-01, 22:12

View Postdustinst22, on 2013-March-18, 15:41, said:

Agree, should be software review and book review in separate forums.

The totally unreadable 25 page long thread- the problem was that the thread should have been book reviews only- discussions on the book reviews should be separate threads. We should work together to get the essential content into one thread.

#4 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-03, 01:17

View Postcloa513, on 2013-June-01, 22:12, said:

The totally unreadable 25 page long thread- the problem was that the thread should have been book reviews only- discussions on the book reviews should be separate threads. We should work together to get the essential content into one thread.

I read it few times, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-03, 21:57

View Postcloa513, on 2013-June-01, 22:12, said:

25 pages unreadable?

try one a day for a month. think of it as a book.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-June-03, 23:43

The problem I was trying to solve was that a book might be mentioned of page three.. then again on page 14 and someone who had not read the entire thread comes in on page 20 and ask about it again when the info was already there. The thought was with advance search, you could search the review thread for book review based on title or author... and find thread(s) dealing only with the book you are interested in. Now if you search almost any title, you will find the one long thread without an idea of what page (out of the many) that needs to be looked at. You might be willing to dig through all the pages to find all the info on the book, but as a resource, I think it was about as useful as our water cooler thread on global warming (that is, if you want info on it, you don' go to that thread to find it) :).

Perhaps we could have more general threads on books.. LIKE a thread on books for beginners, and on defensive carding, etc.. that is, break it up so at least the topics would be minimized. I know we (read me) are willing to change it however the community thinks is best.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-04, 10:03

Perhaps, a forum for reviews, with:

PINNED review thread - ONLY REVIEWS
(perhaps one for books, one for software)
For each review, a link to another thread for discussion (maybe headed by the review as a repost).

I know, lots of work for everybody - including people who have to go in and clean up after people who didn't follow the instructions. But if the link is in the original review, with "discussion <here>" that should cut down on discussion in the review thread, while still meaning that someone interested in reading reviews has only one thread to read - and can go down the rabbit hole if they wish.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   r_prah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 09:12

I enjoyed the 25 page book review thread, and agree with the problem that inquiry mentions, i.e. lack of indexing. The crux of the matter is, for reasons that appear unclear to me, posting in a single thread was psychologically more appealing than creating one thread per book review. Inquiry cut and paste few of the reviews from the original thread to this one, if someone could take the time (and yes, it is a time consuming task) of creating one thread per book here from the original thread that might help.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-12, 09:45

View PostWGF_Flame, on 2013-March-11, 04:09, said:

Please would WGF_Flame add a poll to his post, to test BBF opinion. (FWIW I prefer a separate thread for each book).

#10 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-16, 05:41

I can add a poll, but funny i feel that its correct to have 1 post per book (and it will gain majority of the votes) but for some strange reason it doesn't work.
Maybe people are just too shy to post a new topic while replying seems easier.

#11 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-15, 12:41

The present format of one post per book stifles discussion. Why close discussion after one review? Other people might want to comment or dissent. Perhaps a good review will rate an "attaboy." Personally, I now prefer to write reviews for Amazon, because I expect more feedback. Please change the present format of closing comments after a review.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-17, 12:02

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-15, 12:41, said:

The present format of one post per book stifles discussion. Why close discussion after one review? Other people might want to comment or dissent. Perhaps a good review will rate an "attaboy." Personally, I now prefer to write reviews for Amazon, because I expect more feedback. Please change the present format of closing comments after a review.

The recommendation was to have a separate thread for each book, not just one post. No one is closing discussions.

#13 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-18, 12:23

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-17, 12:02, said:

The recommendation was to have a separate thread for each book, not just one post. No one is closing discussions.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I will write more here in this forum in the future, and try to keep the discussion shorter and more open-ended to attract more replies.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users