• This topic is locked

Kelsey: more killing defence

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-03, 07:50

The word "intermediate" on the front cover is a joke, right? I went through KDIB a couple of times and I found that if I do concentrate and think the hands through, I get most of them right, but the sequel is much tougher from what I see. If this is an intermediate book, what is an advanced/expert book on defence? (Just asking to know which books I have to avoid for the next few years.)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-30, 02:16

I believe the only two expert/advanced books in that series are Bridge with the Blue Team and Adventures in Card Play. So yeah - when you're at Forquet's level, you're allowed to stop calling yourself an intermediate.

Someone should notify the BBO population.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-August-17, 12:27

This book has seemed difficult to find here in the USA, but finally Bridge World has it so I ordered it today, along with a few Krzysztof Martens' defense books. I have no doubt I'll have some mind boggling reading and studying from some adv/exp books :).

EDIT: My books arrived and I have to say that I am impressed with the sequel to KDaB and it is not an intermediate book!

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-18, 09:55

View PostJinksy, on 2014-August-30, 02:16, said:

I believe the only two expert/advanced books in that series are Bridge with the Blue Team and Adventures in Card Play. So yeah - when you're at Forquet's level, you're allowed to stop calling yourself an intermediate.

Someone should notify the BBO population.

Yes, BBO has a serious problem with theblarge number of lesser world class players describing themselves as intermediates.

#5 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-10, 19:04

View Postneilkaz, on 2015-August-17, 12:27, said:

This book has seemed difficult to find here in the USA, but finally Bridge World has it so I ordered it today, along with a few Krzysztof Martens' defense books. I have no doubt I'll have some mind boggling reading and studying from some adv/exp books :).

EDIT: My books arrived and I have to say that I am impressed with the sequel to KDaB and it is not an intermediate book!

I think Martens' defence books are significantly tougher. I didn't think that "More Killing Defence" was that tough, but to describe it as intermediate is obviously a joke. On "Adventures in Card Play" it says intermediate/expert, which is even more stupid, only God can play like that.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-November-11, 09:39

It's probably easier to sell a bridge book labeled for intermediate players than adv/exp.

I've never read a bad Kelsey book. Had a copy of MKDAB but cant seem to locate it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-11, 12:42

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-November-10, 19:04, said:

I think Martens' defence books are significantly tougher. I didn't think that "More Killing Defence" was that tough, but to describe it as intermediate is obviously a joke. On "Adventures in Card Play" it says intermediate/expert, which is even more stupid, only God can play like that.

#humblebrag ;)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-11, 12:45

FWIW on defence books I would recommend Masterpieces of Defense. Thats another not really intermediate book by Julian Pottage.

I thought MKDaB was pretty hard, I could do only about half of all the problems in the book. I like the kelsey books because his hands are very carefully prepared to have only one right solution, and you can usually figure it out if you take 20 minutes per hand. They are in that sense, very pure hands.

Other defence books seem to have more "real world" type hands where there are several viable alternatives and there is usually some quite subtle piece of card reading involved to decide. I find those books really hard as solutions are so dependent on partners carding.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-November-11, 14:36

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-November-11, 12:45, said:

FWIW on defence books I would recommend Masterpieces of Defense. Thats another not really intermediate book by Julian Pottage.

I thought MKDaB was pretty hard, I could do only about half of all the problems in the book. I like the kelsey books because his hands are very carefully prepared to have only one right solution, and you can usually figure it out if you take 20 minutes per hand. They are in that sense, very pure hands.

Other defence books seem to have more "real world" type hands where there are several viable alternatives and there is usually some quite subtle piece of card reading involved to decide. I find those books really hard as solutions are so dependent on partners carding.

This book is currently on my nightstand. Even after a long tiring day I always manage to do a few sets of problems.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-November-23, 08:08

This book had an odd effect on me. I was awarded it as a prize aged about 14 (they had a load of Kelsey books to give away, I happened to get that one). I realised I knew even less than I thought I did (had been playing "proper bridge" for about 3 years by then), and strove to work much harder to improve. No way is it an intermediate book.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-December-09, 18:08

The key with Kelsey is to take your time and try to completely think through each hand. It's not about how fast you can get through the book, but about developing the analytical thought process required to find the best defense. You probably won't get a majority of the hands right maybe not even many right. But if you diligently do the work, by the end of the process, you'll be a much better defender.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users