BBO Discussion Forums: The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread Hint: I did not like Mad Men

#61 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 14:52

We stumbled on "My Octopus Teacher" on Netflix a few days ago and were blown away. The story and the photography are hard to beat. The octopus is unforgettable.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#62 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-April-04, 05:55

I watched American Factory on Netflix, a documentary about a Chinese owned auto glass factory in Ohio and the conflicts that arise as workers and managers strive to meet goals for efficiency, quality, profitability and decent working conditions in this surreal outpost of the new economy.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#63 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-April-07, 15:24

We watched Never Rarely Sometimes Always on HBO. This is Sidney Flanigan's first movie. She nailed the key scene on her first take. Wow.

#64 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-April-12, 08:30

After watching "Gardeners' World" for a few months (streaming on Amazon Prime), I'm spending more time in the garden and thoroughly enjoying it. The show is addictive. Yesterday, we rescued some hydrangea plants and gladiolas from the yard of a former neighbor whose house is being torn down. The hydrangeas showed clear signs of distress after the operation but today their leaves have perked up and they appear to be thriving in their new location.

#65 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-April-15, 07:15

We watched Thomas Vinterberg's Another Round starring Mads Mikkelsen. It feels like a semi-goofy, semi-poignant take on the problem of anxiety and the possibility of using mind altering substances to at least glimpse other ways of being and maybe even opt for one. Mikkelsen fans will not be disappointed by his performance.

#66 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-July-01, 12:37

Middle of Nowhere is very good. On Netflix.

Kate Winslet is very good in Mare of Easttown. I enjoyed the hometown feel. I would have enjoyed it more if they'd cut the running time in half. On HBO

Jean Smart is very good in Hacks. So is her co-star Hannah Einbinder. On HBO.

#67 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-August-07, 17:50

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-June-04, 19:14, said:

IMO, Better Call Saul keeps getting better and better - now through season 5 with a final season ready to film.

We started watching "Better Call Saul" a few weeks ago. Just finished season 4. Wow. So good.

#68 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-07, 19:11

View Posty66, on 2021-August-07, 17:50, said:

We started watching "Better Call Saul" a few weeks ago. Just finished season 4. Wow. So good.

Yes, and now Bob Odenkirk has suffered a mild heart attack and filming for the last season is on hold 😖
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#69 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-August-07, 19:15

Watched season 1 of Evil on CBS and now am engrossed in season 2 on Paramount Plus. It is entertaining if nothing else.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#70 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-September-07, 11:59

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-August-07, 19:15, said:

Watched season 1 of Evil on CBS and now am engrossed in season 2 on Paramount Plus. It is entertaining if nothing else.

Season 2 of Evil is on Paramount Plus at $4.99 month. That plus 5 seasons of The Good Fight make the price worthwhile.

#71 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-September-12, 20:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-September-07, 11:59, said:

Season 2 of Evil is on Paramount Plus at $4.99 month. That plus 5 seasons of The Good Fight make the price worthwhile.

Not to mention Star Trek: Lower Decks as a guilty pleasure.

#72 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-15, 02:54

Before they were famous - who were they?

#73 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-September-26, 11:52

'Fauda' (2017) - review by Mike Hale at NYT

The grittiest, tightest, most lived-in thrillers come from Israel, and “Fauda,” which came out here at the end of 2016 before breaking out this year, is the current standard-bearer. A crack counterterrorist team, outfitted in T-shirts and sandals and driving a beat-up van, chases a Hamas member around a hilly Arab-Israeli town, and while the outcome is predictable, the story ventures into the lives and minds of characters on all sides of the conflict.

https://www.nytimes....t-tv-shows.html

#74 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-29, 16:51

With the memory of the January 6 domestic terrorist insurrection still fresh, I recently watched Seven Days in May, a 5 star movie from 1964.

Wikipedia - Seven Days in May

This movie features an all star cast, famous director and writer. The plot is that the US President is planning to sign a treaty with the USSR to reduce nuclear weapons that is opposed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A cabal in the Joint Chiefs of Staff led by the Chairman played by Burt Lancaster develop a plot to stage a military coup to stop the treaty from being signed.

Lancaster's character General Scott fails to see that by trying to save America by staging a military coup he will destroy America just as certainly as the Soviets would have if they attacked with nuclear weapons.

The difference between General Scott and criminal Trump is that General Scott believed he was trying to save the country while Trump was only trying to hold on to power by any means possible.

#75 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-30, 22:29

Important Netflix documentary.
Don't miss the bit in the middle.

#76 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-October-01, 12:39

I just finished watching the 7 part series on Netflix Midnight Mass. I was really impressed by the inventiveness of the story and how the writer weaved together legend with legend. It starts really slowly, but if you hang in there it gets better.

#77 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-October-18, 18:48

"Pain and Glory" directed by Pedro Almodóvar. I rented it. I highly recommend it. Reviewed here by Manohla Dargis.

#78 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-December-04, 11:14

"The Power of the Dog" reviewed here by Manohla Dargis at NYT. A powerful story that Campion isn't up to telling IMO.

#79 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-December-24, 18:52

Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold is an intimate and fascinating documentary.

#80 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-January-08, 08:44

Nicolas Cage is getting rave reviews for his performance in "Pig" which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Edit: The Portland Oregon scenes are a plus.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users