BBO Discussion Forums: Declarer claims, defenders call the Director... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declarer claims, defenders call the Director... ...And dummy does not agree

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-February-05, 19:57

Declarer tables the hand and says 'My hand is good'. A defender says, 'No way, I have an ace of one of your suits' and calls the Director. The defender holds the aforementioned ace but also cashable AK in a side suit (No Trump was being played). Director says 'All right you lose three tricks and the rest is yours'. Dummy says 'You can't make my partner play the club first! She'd play the red ones and only lose the last trick!' (But that is nowhere near what Declarer had said...) 'Where in the law does it say that?'

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-05, 20:10

Law 70D1 says:

The Director shall not accept from claimer any successful line of play not embraced in the original clarification statement if there is an alternative normal line of play that would be less successful.

It's up to the Director to judge whether playing the club first is "normal", which includes "careless or inferior for the class of player involved". If he thought all his cards were high, he might choose to play the clubs first.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 22:04

Yes, he might, and that leads to the ruling the director at the table made, dummy's indignant objection notwithstanding.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-06, 07:31

Agree with three tricks to the defense, and glad to see a declarer get what he deserves in such a situation. Cheers to the director.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2014-February-20, 22:30

Totally agree with the Director. In fact this sounds so familiar coming from over zealous club players who really want to win but do not know the proper way. Club players just find it hard to accept that we are to assume the worst reasonable case, they think we are treating them like idiots.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users