BBO Discussion Forums: 5 trumps when partner doubles for takeout - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 trumps when partner doubles for takeout

#21 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-04, 06:02

View Postthe hog, on 2014-February-03, 22:05, said:

I would not be surprised to see it make.

Noone would, but the point is taking the percentage action.
Michael Askgaard

#22 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-04, 15:17

View Postmikeh, on 2014-February-03, 20:18, said:

Maybe just for a change, you should consider whether the fact that some pretty good players opt for pass is a hint that maybe pass is not an 'appalling call'. Note: I am not suggesting that the given result is a reason for you changing your opinion...no one hand ever really proves anything, but when some real life experts express a view contrary to yours, maybe that should mean something.

Agreed with this. I'm not saying pass is a slam dunk--i.e., that bidding is an appalling call. It's not--it's fairly close. But to call a pass an appalling call is... well, kind of appalling.

In my view this hand falls into the majority of hands that appear in this forum--namely, there may be one view that wins consensus, but not by a mile, and there are other opinions that have plenty of merit.

I see the merits of bidding something, I just personally think 1 doubled has a very good chance of being the best spot for our side.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#23 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-February-04, 18:14

View Postmfa1010, on 2014-February-04, 06:02, said:

Noone would, but the point is taking the percentage action.

I wonder if it is even the percentage action, given that on tis hand, for example, the opps have a S fit.
I am glad you say that "no one would", because I find the comments that claim certain 1 or 2 off to be silly. By the way, leaving it in does not do much for partnership confidence when it makes.
Now KQJxx or better and I would leave it in, though it could still make.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users