BBO Discussion Forums: Upgrade? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Upgrade? And Other Questions

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-December-02, 19:31

Firstly, playing 12-14 NT is the South hand worth an upgrade? Secondly, what do you bid as South now (if u passed first time)

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-02, 19:37

I don't think that the South hand is an upgrade.

As for the second part, if 2NT is the standard 18-19, it is difficult to see how we can have a slam on. So I will just raise to 3NT.

However, the note implies that the 2NT bid is stronger than that; without knowing how strong, I cannot answer further.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-02, 20:07

Don't upgrade this. Bid 3NT now.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-02, 20:29

I would probably upgrade this one: the hand is significantly better than a typical 11-count, while 1NT gets in their way if it is their hand and is easy to bid if it is ours--I simply decline all invitations and refuse to co-operate in any slam investigations.

In the actual auction, 3NT.

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-December-02, 20:34

I tend not to upgrade 4333's, but this is close.

I bid 3N now.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-December-03, 06:00

I would not upgrade in second seat but would open 1 in third. As others have already given, 3NT seems clear now as we do not have enough combined assets to go beyond this and there is no call we can make at the 3 level to show this hand that might allow partner to make such a move. Give Opener Jx KJx Axx AKQJx, if this is a 2NT rebid for you, and there is a decent slam. Meanwhile we might even be down from 5 diamond tricks off the top! Jxx AKJ Jxx AKQx and 3NT is usually down on a 5-2 diamond split with 4 making. There is no way of finding out either way so just bid the most likely game.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-03, 06:18

Playing weak NT this is exactly the wrong conditions to upgrade, reverse the colors and you have good reasons to open 1NT.

I can see any reason to look for slam with this hand and end it with 3NT.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-December-03, 06:22

You say 2N is GF, are you playing a normal 2N opener ? and is the 2N rebid always balanced ?

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-03, 07:00

2NT as 19-20 balanced, right?

3NT then. Only if p can have a singleton diamonds, and I have a tool to locate it, will I think of slam.

I think it would be reasonable to upgrade this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-03, 10:13

Second seat is the wrong spot to upgrade anything close, the colors are wrong and so is the shape.

3nt. Slam can't possibly be better than winning 2 of 3 hooks can it?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 14:11

Thanks folks, the whole hand:

should anyone have done more or just one of those hands?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-05, 14:19

eagles123, on 2013-December-05, 14:11, said:

Thanks folks, the whole hand:

Thanks,

Eagles

The upgrading issue is with North. Obviously, he has precisely 19 HCP. However:

1. The control count is 7. Using the three-and-a-third method of re-evaluation, he has 23-and-a-third, minus 19 is 4-and-a-third, which is a +1 upgrade already

2. He has a great quality 6-card suit. I would upgrade +1 or even +2 on this basis alone.

So far, you get to about a 21-22 count for notrump purposes.

For suit contract purposes, North has a 3-loser hand, which is sufficient in the abstract to open 2 and then rebid 3.

Thus, the hand is strong enough for a strong forcing 2 opening (even if that is not the best option) or for a 2NT opening (which I assume shows this range), and perhaps even a 2 opening followed by 2NT (23 HCP equivalence is not far off).

FWIW, I would have opened 2NT.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 15:22

eagles123, on 2013-December-05, 14:11, said:

Thanks,

Eagles

It seems odd that you play 2NT as forcing, but do not have any means of asking partner why he has bid it. Should there not be some way of finding out?

I don't want to get into methods, but I play something similar and would have been able to ascertain that pard had circa 19-20 points, six clubs and red stops after this start. There's not really much point playing it otherwise!

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-December-05, 15:34

While North has a very nice hand, and, as mentioned by Ken two posts above, a 2NT opening might be appropriate, it is still hard to get to slam on these hands. It is a perfect fit, with the 10 and 9 of clubs carrying full weight. Even then, slam is not cold (although it is very good).

Someone is going to have to overbid to get to a slam on these cards.I think Ken is overstating the case to call the North hand a 2 opener. I would never open the North hand 2. 2NT is not unreasonable.

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2013-December-05, 16:09

ArtK78, on 2013-December-05, 15:34, said:

While North has a very nice hand, and, as mentioned by Ken two posts above, a 2NT opening might be appropriate, it is still hard to get to slam on these hands. It is a perfect fit, with the 10 and 9 of clubs carrying full weight. Even then, slam is not cold (although it is very good).

Someone is going to have to overbid to get to a slam on these cards.I think Ken is overstating the case to call the North hand a 2 opener. I would never open the North hand 2. 2NT is not unreasonable.

Responder doesn't just luckily have the 10-9 in clubs. He has ALL the 10's (except in his A-K-Q suit). If a Jack is worth one point, then 10+10+109 seems worth something.

All Responder needs to do is a simple Puppet Stayman bid, finding out that partner does not have a 4+ major, and then bid 4NT. From there, North should have no problem accepting. If partner hedges with a 5 call, the 109x looks better.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-December-05, 16:55

kenrexford, on 2013-December-05, 16:09, said:

Responder doesn't just luckily have the 10-9 in clubs. He has ALL the 10's (except in his A-K-Q suit). If a Jack is worth one point, then 10+10+109 seems worth something.

All Responder needs to do is a simple Puppet Stayman bid, finding out that partner does not have a 4+ major, and then bid 4NT. From there, North should have no problem accepting. If partner hedges with a 5 call, the 109x looks better.

And why would responder be looking for slam with his 11 count (admittedly with lots of 10s and 9s) opposite a 20-21 HCP 2NT opener?

#17 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 17:09

PhilKing, on 2013-December-05, 15:22, said:

It seems odd that you play 2NT as forcing, but do not have any means of asking partner why he has bid it. Should there not be some way of finding out?

I don't want to get into methods, but I play something similar and would have been able to ascertain that pard had circa 19-20 points, six clubs and red stops after this start. There's not really much point playing it otherwise!

I play what the teacher tells me lol, it's only kinda basic system, so your methods might be useful pls

thanks,

Eagles

#18 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2013-December-05, 18:25

ArtK78, on 2013-December-05, 16:55, said:

And why would responder be looking for slam with his 11 count (admittedly with lots of 10s and 9s) opposite a 20-21 HCP 2NT opener?

31-32 with lots of 10's and 9's looks pretty good for inviting to me, especially if my partner can have a hand with playing strength of this nature.

-P.J. Painter.

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-December-05, 22:42

kenrexford, on 2013-December-05, 18:25, said:

31-32 with lots of 10's and 9's looks pretty good for inviting to me, especially if my partner can have a hand with playing strength of this nature.

And if a passed hand issues a 4NT invite, the hand with the 6 clubs, that already upgraded itself to a 2NT opener, is going to take another call?

#20 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2013-December-05, 23:32

ArtK78, on 2013-December-05, 22:42, said:

And if a passed hand issues a 4NT invite, the hand with the 6 clubs, that already upgraded itself to a 2NT opener, is going to take another call?

Obviously?

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users