BBO Discussion Forums: Invite to a Grand? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invite to a Grand?

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-15, 09:11

ACBL BBO Robot Game. Matchpoints.

GIB held:

AJ752
K72
AJ4

The auction:

..Me.......GIB
..2NT.....3*
..3NT.....5NT**

*explained as New Minor Forcing
** explained as Quantitative Invite to 7NT - 5+ spades, 16-18 HCP

The explanations seem reasonable. Only the last bid doesn't match the hand. Please explain.

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-October-15, 13:34

Funny, normally the bot never invites ME to a grand slam, *grumble*
usually it blasts 7 without checking for aces or uses blackwood, asks for kings, finds the king it needs, and STILL bids 6.
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-October-26, 14:57

Thanks for reporting.

Fix added in v29.

GIB will be able to use only 4NT which is 12-13HCP and will not mislead with 5NT.

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-October-26, 22:18

View Postgeorgi, on 2013-October-26, 14:57, said:

Thanks for reporting.

Fix added in v29.

GIB will be able to use only 4NT which is 12-13HCP and will not mislead with 5NT.

Why would GIB bid 4NT with 12-13 hcp?? Even with 13 hcp, we would have 31-32hcp combined with no fit.

GIB is always too aggressive inviting slam on these auctions, but I thought it was based on tricky issues with simulations, not just explicitly horrible rules...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 00:30

View Postgeorgi, on 2013-October-26, 14:57, said:

I gather that English is not your first language, so I hope you meant to say "With 12-13 points GIB will [only] bid 4NT"
When I first read it I had the impression that GIB would never bid 5NT, even if it held 17 HCP (which it could still hold).That would be unfortunate. Artk78 was not objecting to GIB having the power to bid 5NT; only insisting that he have the suitable cards.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-October-27, 04:25

My first is bulgarian :)

It will use either 4NT or sometimes ( not often ) after simulation 6NT as it has border range of points.

I am talking (usually) for the displayed hand only. 5NT is not locked/discarded bid for sure.

With 13HCP and 19 in partner is good that to be known and not outpassed on 3NT.

What's wrong to play 4NT with 32 points? There is no obligation to accept. Supposedly you will make +1 with these points and there could be a reserves in partner's hand making him to accept like another 5332 and 19HCP or even 6322.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-October-27, 09:17

View Postgeorgi, on 2013-October-27, 04:25, said:

What's wrong to play 4NT with 32 points? There is no obligation to accept. Supposedly you will make +1 with these points and there could be a reserves in partner's hand making him to accept like another 5332 and 19HCP or even 6322.

So GIB is bidding 4NT so that we can play 4NT rather than 3NT, or occasionally 6NT in case partner had a hand worth opening 2NT originally? Partner is supposed to accept with a maximum, not only with a supermax. Playing 6NT on a combined 32hcp with two balanced hands and no fit is basically a disaster.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-October-27, 09:33

Just for the record, everyone I have talked to who is good and who is used to playing with GIB automatically passes 4NT on this auction. It's really a clear and substantial flaw.

#9 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-October-28, 14:54

View Postcherdano, on 2013-October-27, 09:33, said:

Just for the record, everyone I have talked to who is good and who is used to playing with GIB automatically passes 4NT on this auction. It's really a clear and substantial flaw.

I never, ever pass 4NT, or any invite to anything, unless I've misbid, because I'm super aggressive anyway
Become yourself.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users