#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-18, 16:11

mr1303, on 2013-September-17, 05:05, said:

getting up and leaving

gnasher, on 2013-September-18, 12:36, said:

That's definitely not an option.

Well, ordinarily, I would agree. Particularly in the ACBL, where the general CoC specifically prohibit the option. But I can see things getting bad enough that I would get up and leave. If I did so at a club game, I would never return to that club. If I did so at a tournament, I would resign from the ACBL and give up bridge. In fact, I would probably do that if the incident occurred at a club. But things would have to get very, very bad before I took the option.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 12:27

There was a player in my club who was so terrible no one wanted to play with her. She was impervious to reason and persisted with her own curious and ineffective methods of bidding. She also claimed to play a complicated method of signalling that even she didn't understand and was unfair to impose on random partners. It was an act of charity to play with her, and I was willing to take my turn to play with her once in a while. Once I had worked them out, I scrupulously advised the opponents of any curiousity in her methods that merited alerting, etc. I suggest you treat playing with this player an act of charity along similar lines.

I strongly believe in never blaming partner for anything, so long as they keep the agreement (which I make clear to them in words spoken out loud) never to blame me for anything. This is much better for partnership morale than recriminations. Of course, once someone says "what went wrong on that hand" or starts blaming me, then I will politely draw attention to what I consider to be unsuccessful actions by partner.

In this case, if the player in question cannot see for himself that his actions were to blame for the bad scores received, then pointing it out to him isn't going to help. Either he realises, or he will never realise.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 16:15

blackshoe, on 2013-September-18, 16:11, said:

Well, ordinarily, I would agree. Particularly in the ACBL, where the general CoC specifically prohibit the option. But I can see things getting bad enough that I would get up and leave. If I did so at a club game, I would never return to that club. If I did so at a tournament, I would resign from the ACBL and give up bridge. In fact, I would probably do that if the incident occurred at a club. But things would have to get very, very bad before I took the option.

Why would you allow this person to control your life to such a degree?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-19, 21:51

It would take more than a single person.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-September-20, 02:04

blackshoe, on 2013-September-18, 16:11, said:

But I can see things getting bad enough that I would get up and leave.

Really? I have considered getting up an leaving when the atmosphere has got extremely bad due to players accusing each other of cheating or such. But I wouldn't remotely consider it just because someone is playing badly. Maybe if partner started purposely revoking 6 or 7 times per board. But the OP issue doesn't come close to that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-20, 06:22

I don't think blackshoe was talking about bad play - rather, other much more extreme circumstances. Hopefully and probably, none of will witness such an event.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#27 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-20, 06:53

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the ACBL policy on cellphones is well known, but what is their policy on firearms?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#28 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-20, 07:30

gwnn, on 2013-September-20, 06:53, said:

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the ACBL policy on cellphones is well known, but what is their policy on firearms?

I doubt there is one. At our club though, there is one police officer who attends regularly. Occasionally, he has his service weapon with him, holstered in plain view. Nobody seems bothered by it, that I can tell.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-20, 07:56

helene_t, on 2013-September-20, 02:04, said:

Really? I have considered getting up an leaving when the atmosphere has got extremely bad due to players accusing each other of cheating or such. But I wouldn't remotely consider it just because someone is playing badly. Maybe if partner started purposely revoking 6 or 7 times per board. But the OP issue doesn't come close to that.

It was an accusation of cheating that led me to make the comment. In that case, the TD's response was "we're just going to let that slide" (that's verbatim). I didn't leave the game, but I did go for a short walk outside until I cooled off. If that happens again with this TD, I will walk - although I might wait until the end of the session. Depends on how bad the situation is.

billw55, on 2013-September-20, 06:22, said:

I don't think blackshoe was talking about bad play - rather, other much more extreme circumstances. Hopefully and probably, none of will witness such an event.

Precisely.

billw55, on 2013-September-20, 07:30, said:

I doubt there is one. At our club though, there is one police officer who attends regularly. Occasionally, he has his service weapon with him, holstered in plain view. Nobody seems bothered by it, that I can tell.

Heh. Personally I think open carry should be the rule rather than the exception.
--------------------

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-20, 10:35

blackshoe, on 2013-September-20, 07:56, said:

Heh. Personally I think open carry should be the rule rather than the exception.

An armed society is a polite society.

-- Robert A. Heinlein ;)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-20, 10:44

blackshoe, on 2013-September-20, 07:56, said:

Well, that might be the fastest way to get me to walk. I *expect* it would be before the session starts.

A police officer, in uniform, maybe - although I'd feel very uncomfortable. Sure, it's the safest place for it, but I know how much concentration bridge takes, and either his partner is only getting 98% or this is really scary (maybe, for police officers, partner only gets 98% all the time for similar (but more dramatic) reasons as my partner only gets 98% all the time, especially if someone calls "Director!"). Anyone else? "Director, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for my money back. I don't feel comfortable enough to play in this game."

Edit: Just realized I might be too Canadian for my own good. if you're comparing open carry to concealed carry, I understand your point.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-20, 16:21

Vampyr, on 2013-September-20, 10:35, said:

An armed society is a polite society.

-- Robert A. Heinlein ;)

Indeed! B-)
--------------------

#33 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-20, 16:26

mycroft, on 2013-September-20, 10:44, said:

Well, that might be the fastest way to get me to walk. I *expect* it would be before the session starts.

A police officer, in uniform, maybe - although I'd feel very uncomfortable. Sure, it's the safest place for it, but I know how much concentration bridge takes, and either his partner is only getting 98% or this is really scary (maybe, for police officers, partner only gets 98% all the time for similar (but more dramatic) reasons as my partner only gets 98% all the time, especially if someone calls "Director!"). Anyone else? "Director, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for my money back. I don't feel comfortable enough to play in this game."

Edit: Just realized I might be too Canadian for my own good. if you're comparing open carry to concealed carry, I understand your point.

That is what I was doing.
--------------------

#34 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-20, 16:36

blackshoe, on 2013-September-20, 16:21, said:

Indeed! B-)

Hmm...which side are you on if you agree with a sarcastic comment?

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-20, 16:48

Vampyr, on 2013-September-20, 16:36, said:

Hmm...which side are you on if you agree with a sarcastic comment?

Apparently one of us has misunderstood the other. If you were being sarcastic I missed it. If you think I was being sarcastic in agreeing with your quote, you're mistaken.

If you were being sarcastic, then I would suggest that next time you use a different smiley.
--------------------

#36 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-20, 17:32

blackshoe, on 2013-September-20, 16:48, said:

If you were being sarcastic, then I would suggest that next time you use a different smiley.

Oh, come on. Can such a comment (or quote, to be accurate) really be made in earnest?

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-20, 20:22

Not by you, apparently.
--------------------

#38 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-21, 07:04

This thread is in danger of turning into a Water Cooler thread (especially in light of recent events in DC and Chicago). Let's get back to discussing bridge, or I'll shut it down.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users