BBO Discussion Forums: 1NT or1 Major? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

1NT or1 Major?

#21 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-19, 12:12

Yes, because in Forum D the 2/1 promises a second bid. But your "random partner" has something like a one in five chance of being an old-school ACOLite for whom 1-2m; 2NT shows 12-14 and is passable. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 13:40

<----old school Acolite (but slowly trying to learn Forum D)
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-19, 18:09

1NT certainly. Treat a balanced hand the way it should be treated - like a balanced hand.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#24 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 15:28

I am surprised at the number of 1NT bidders. With a strong 5 card major I like 1. Especially with weakness in , I am inclined to open 1. Anything I am missing? Thanks!
Suleiman
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-23, 15:35

View Postsuleiman22, on 2013-September-23, 15:28, said:

I am surprised at the number of 1NT bidders. With a strong 5 card major I like 1. Especially with weakness in , I am inclined to open 1. Anything I am missing? Thanks!
Suleiman

Rebid problems occur when one is balanced within the NT range.

When the suit is Hearts, and partner responds 1S or 1N, you are in between and must reinvent the wheel each time (at the club level this is often "solved" with a break in tempo) :rolleyes: .

When the suit is Spades and partner responds 1NT (forcing or not), you have nowhere to go.

With the good 17's, however, you can survive by rebidding 2nt which shows 18-19.

Those are the considerations, anyway. People either are or are not concerned about them..and choose accordingly. Some pairs have toys to use after 1S-1N, 1H-1N, or 1H-1S to handle the dilemma without a break in tempo; but there are risks. They lose when the hand belonged in 1NT and no higher.

Others will rebid 2NT with the 15-17 and rebid 3NT with 18-19. They lose the ability to use the 3NT jump for something else. Again, at the club level the slow jump or raise to 2NT is effective and rarely are the cops called.

Finally, there is the matter of competition by the opponents, after which the partnership is totally in a guess mode when opener has failed to open 1NT with a NT opener.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-23, 17:57

View Postsuleiman22, on 2013-September-23, 15:28, said:

Suleiman

Yes, there is a lot you are missing. What is your rebid over 1S 1NT or 1S 2m ? Any bid you make will misrepresent your hand strength.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   suleiman22 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Tennis, Chess, Math, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Just about everything!

Posted 2013-September-23, 17:57

Thanks a lot aguahombre and the hog! I now see that in situations like 1 1NT that whatever bid I make does not show my strength. Thanks guys! :)
“I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'.” - Maya Angelou

#28 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-23, 18:52

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-19, 05:46, said:

The OP didn't mention 1NTF. Anyway are you suggesting that you would open differently playing a standard 1NT response?
No, I don't think so - well, yes, I'm more likely to bid 2NT if partner's not going to have a decent (9)10-12-and-a-suit.

There's an argument (which doesn't matter for the 1NT discussion) that opening NT is good here because of the kings-to-protect. Maybe that's more important if 1NT isn't forcing.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users