Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWIFT: Standard WIth FanTunes Adapting Fantunes

#1 User is offline   RGranville 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-22, 10:41

Has anyone thought about trying the Fantunes system, but been put off by its complexity and the many differences between Fantunes and a standard system?

I've developed a system that I've named SWIFT: Standard WIth Fantunes. It's basically an attempt to make the Fantunes system simpler, and also closer in philosophy to Two over One and other natural systems.

There are two principal differences from Fantunes:

(1) Suit openings at the 2 level show 9-12 points, rather than 10-13. A consequence of this is that a 1 of a suit opening is 13+, instead of 14+.
(2) Transfers are not used over the 1 opening. This allows the use of a 1 negative, meaning that other responses all show some values.

The first of these changes means that you are no longer obliged to open 1NT with 4441 or 5422 shape. There's also no weak option for a 1 or 1 opening, so all responses and continuations can correspond to those in a standard 5 card major system, using "the principle of the transferred queen".

The system seems to work reasonably well at club level, but hasn't yet been tested in higher-level competition.

At present, a 2-page summary is available on the website of my local club: http://www.bridgewebs.com/walton/ - look on the right-hand side of the home page.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-22, 13:23

Gerben did something similar, but I've never been a fan of the 1-1 negative and I also don't like the lower opening range (I played the standard version in the past and worked great, points ranges 14-17, 18-21 and 22+).

I also don't see what's so complicated about their system. You just respond at 1-level with any non GF hand, and at 2-level or higher with a GF (except raises). After a 1-level response you need some bid do distinguish between minimum openers and hands with considerable extras (18+ opposite their standard 14+ openings) and after another negative you need a way to force to game. After 1M openings you can basically play any 2/1 GF structure you want.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users