BBO Discussion Forums: Our turn to bid again 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Our turn to bid again 2 This time human pd...

Poll: Our turn to bid again 2 (25 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid

1. 2 Cl (9 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. 2 Sp (4 votes [16.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

3. 3 Sp (9 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

4. 4 Sp (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 2NT (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

6. 3NT (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

7. PASS (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 06:46

IMP pairs, 1 being forcing 1 round what would you bid ? I believe i made a very bad bid w/o thinking much.

New pd, 1NT means what you think it logically means w/o a discussion. Pd is our very own Diana Eva from forums.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-14, 06:59

I see no particular reason to bid again so I pass.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-14, 07:10

View PostWinstonm, on 2013-July-14, 06:59, said:

I see no particular reason to bid again so I pass.

Ok, my bad probably, i will add pass in poll options. I forgot this is BBF.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 08:49

For us, 1N is probably 12-14 with 1-2 spades, but our overcalls are sounder than most, particularly the non space consuming 1 over 1. x, KJx, AKxxx, Qxxx would be reasonably normal for us. 3N is the most probable game if there is one, I'd probably bid 2N, partner may well contribute 3 possibly after 3m with Qx.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:46

I could have 8 pts 4S and something wasted in club and still advance to 1S. So pass is clearly not an option for me. I dont see anything wrong with 2C (wich is not GF by the way)
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-July-14, 11:38

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-July-14, 08:49, said:

For us, 1N is probably 12-14 with 1-2 spades, but our overcalls are sounder than most, particularly the non space consuming 1 over 1. x, KJx, AKxxx, Qxxx would be reasonably normal for us. 3N is the most probable game if there is one, I'd probably bid 2N, partner may well contribute 3 possibly after 3m with Qx.

If 1S is forcing then why is 1N 12-14? Are you saying you would not overcall a 5 card suit and less than 12, or just that you'd rebid 2D on a 5 card suit or something?

FWIW this is why NF 1S bids are helpful imo, partner can limit his hand by passing 1S. I can't really imagine not overcalling xx xxx KQTxx Axx or not bidding 1S over 1D with AKxxx xxx xx xxx so the ranges are unmanageably wide if everyone has to keep bidding.

I would bid 2C then 2S I guess playing this system.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-14, 12:40

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-July-14, 11:38, said:

If 1S is forcing then why is 1N 12-14? Are you saying you would not overcall a 5 card suit and less than 12, or just that you'd rebid 2D on a 5 card suit or something?

FWIW this is why NF 1S bids are helpful imo, partner can limit his hand by passing 1S. I can't really imagine not overcalling xx xxx KQTxx Axx or not bidding 1S over 1D with AKxxx xxx xx xxx so the ranges are unmanageably wide if everyone has to keep bidding.

I would bid 2C then 2S I guess playing this system.

We jump overcall with crap (sometimes, particularly over a 2 card club with 5 or on odd occasions 4 card suits), your first hand is the problem hand for us, I might overcall 1 over 1 with the pointies reversed but am nowhere close to 1, so it's pass or 2 and I'm a bit good/shapeless for 2.

We respond to overcalls as if they were opened except for the added flexibility given by the cue bid.

If we have overcalled at the 1 level with <12, we don't rebid in NT (unless we decide it's worth an upgrade), so we consider that before making the overcall.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-14, 12:51

I'd bid 3, invitational.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-14, 13:13

View Postmikeh, on 2013-July-14, 12:51, said:

I'd bid 3, invitational.

I would, too. But even though I would have bid 1S the first time as did the OP, I don't believe it should be forcing upon a minimum overcall. 2S should be forcing/1D.

Anyway, we are at the same place. The OP system seems to assume 1 shows opening bid strength, so 3 invitation at this point seems to mean the same thing as if overcaller opened 1 and rebid 1NT.

If you really are going to have those agreements about the 1D overcall and a 1-level forcing advance, you might as well go all the way with it. NMF, 1NT rebid might have three spades, etc....although this hand would still rebid 3S.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 14:04

2. Easy if it is a cuebid. And I think it should be. But it worries me that it is undisscussed in my partnership. But we play 1 as NF but still it is wide-ranging.

I have heard the interesting suggestion that (1)-1-(p)-1,(p)-2 should show a crappy overcall with other bids (1N, 2...) being full strength. Or rather, two-way, either crappy or strong without a direction.

I think that idea has a lot going for it. A crappy overcall tends strongly to be only 5, and advancer should be in a decent position to bid over such a 2 bid.

With such a system advancer has a gameforce over 1N or very close to.
Michael Askgaard

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-14, 14:22

FWIW I didn't think 1!S was forcing :) So I assumed 1NT would be ongoing there, not just a forced call.

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-14, 14:41

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-14, 06:46, said:

IMP pairs, 1 being forcing 1 round what would you bid ? I believe i made a very bad bid w/o thinking much.

New pd, 1NT means what you think it logically means w/o a discussion. Pd is our very own Diana Eva from forums.
IMO 2N = 10, 3N = 9, 3 = 8, 2 = 7, 2 = 6, Pass = 5, 4 = 4.
My cards, especially Q, seem to be worth more in notump

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-15, 06:33

As someone who has always played new suits forcing after an overcall, I think 1NT shows about 9-12 here. If you have overcalled on less than 9 then you are certain to have a good enough suit to rebid 2 happily.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-15, 07:39

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-15, 06:33, said:

If you have overcalled on less than 9 then you are certain to have a good enough suit to rebid 2 happily.

I will never be happy about rebidding a 5 card suit. With a 6 card suit and less than 9 the first bid would have been 2, not 1.
Michael Askgaard

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-15, 09:12

View Postmfa1010, on 2013-July-14, 14:04, said:

With such a system advancer has a gameforce over 1N or very close to.

Help me to understand this part please. Which part of 1 being forcing, thus 1NT is forced (or any other bid) makes this hand a gf hand while not when 1 is nf ?

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-15, 06:33, said:

As someone who has always played new suits forcing after an overcall, I think 1NT shows about 9-12 here.

This is what i thought also, when i bid 3. But i am ready to hear opinions and ready to be convinced otherwise if pd can not have 9-10 balanced, when 1 is F1 . Without you i was feeling very lonely about my same range expectation :) But i am still not feeling satisfied with my 3 bid for some reason.

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-15, 09:27

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-15, 09:12, said:

Help me to understand this part please. Which part of 1 being forcing, thus 1NT is forced (or any other bid) makes this hand a gf hand while not when 1 is nf ?

He was talking about the method where
1 1 pass 1
shows a bad hand, and any other rebid by the overcaller shows something better.

I think that's a really good idea, btw.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-15, 09:30

View Postgnasher, on 2013-July-15, 09:27, said:

He was talking about the method where
1 1 pass 1
shows a bad hand, and any other rebid by the overcaller shows something better.

I think that's a really good idea, btw.

Oh my bad then, i totally understood something else. And yes it is a very good method.

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2013-July-15, 10:26

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-14, 07:10, said:

Ok, my bad probably, i will add pass in poll options. I forgot this is BBF.

If forced to bid again by system, I can't imagine a more negative bid in this sequence than 1NT. This sounds like xx, xxx, KJ10xx, Kxx on a good day. Unless the overcall system has really high requirements for 1D over 1C, I can't imagine that my balanced 12-count (balanced now that a 5-1 diamonds fit is known) will produce game, and I see no reason to disturb NT.

Then, again, I've never played this 1S bid as forcing and don't see the value of that treatment. Trying to emulate opening bidding systems in overcall structures is, IMO, a losing proposition.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 11:41

This amount of power is normally more than sufficient to force to
game but there are enough flaws where I prefer to make a NF
3s call here asking p to have something other than a regular
minimum overcall to go to game.

This bid also lets p know where I live and will allow them to make a
better decision on how to proceed.

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2013-July-15, 12:14

View Postgszes, on 2013-July-15, 11:41, said:

This amount of power is normally more than sufficient to force to
game but there are enough flaws where I prefer to make a NF
3s call here asking p to have something other than a regular
minimum overcall to go to game.

This bid also lets p know where I live and will allow them to make a
better decision on how to proceed.

Question: Do you pass over 1C with x, xxx, AK10xx, Jxxx or overcall 1D?

I'm just trying to figure out why everyone is so aggressive with the spade hand after partner shows no encouragement.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users