BBO Discussion Forums: These are the voyages...episode 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

These are the voyages...episode 2

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2013-June-24, 18:38

Khan Noonien Singh spread his hand dramatically on the table. "...And so you see, gentlemen, there is nothing the defense can do. The auction has marked Mr. Spock with the diamond king, so I shall take the ruffing finesse, discarding the losing club if my Vulcan friend declines to cover. Both defenders will then find themselves caught--if you will allow a man out of time to use an even older metaphor--between Scylla and Charybdis, on the run of the hearts. Mr. Scott will be unable to give up his guard in clubs, and Mr. Spock will be unable to surrender his master diamond; neither will be able to maintain a guard in spades. The double squeeze will eventually lead to twelve tricks." He bowed his head gravely in acknowledgment of the smattering of applause from the kibitzers gathered around the table. His partner, the lovely historian Lt. McGivers, gazed at Khan devotedly.

Montgomery Scott, the defender to Khan's left, whistled appreciatively. Mr. Spock, however, raised an eyebrow and said, "An admirable plan, Khan. Were I in possession of the diamond king, you would indeed have twelve tricks; as I am not, your stated line of play leads to nine. Down one."

The galley was the scene for the final of the Enterprise's Knockout Teams competition. The last remaining teams were captained by Ensign Chekov and Captain Kirk. One of Chekov's players--a burly young officer whose name nobody seemed able to remember--had perished unexpectedly on an away mission. Fortunately, the Enterprise had recently discovered Khan's ship floating in space, and he had been revived from suspended animation. He had been prevailed upon to complete Chekov's team for the final.

Khan pulled the last hand from the board. By his estimation, his team was slightly ahead with one board to play; he had played brilliantly, of course, but he had been hampered by the play of his doe-eyed partner. Compounding that, the Vulcan and the Chief Engineer made a strangely effective pair; Spock's declarer play was flawless if uninspired, and Scott often made inventive bids on the fly, especially under time pressure. Khan hoped his teammates, Chekov and Dr. McCoy, were having a reasonable set against Hikaru Sulu and the Captain himself, who was Khan's counterpart at the other table.

Khan sorted his cards with flair. Naturally, he didn't need to do this for his own benefit, but there was a swelling crowd of kibitzers behind him, and he wanted them to be able to follow his plays easily. Looking across the room, he noted with some irritation that the crowd around Kirk's table was nearly as large as that around his own. He glanced at his hand, which proved to be -- AQT63 87632 J82.

He was the dealer and passed. Mr. Scott opened 1C; Spock alerted. McGivers stopped looking at Khan's chest long enough to overcall 1S. Spock placed the "Stop" card card on the table, followed by 4H.

Khan blinked. Was the Vulcan really offering up a chance for a huge vulnerable penalty at this late stage? Perhaps Spock's estimation of the state of the match was in line with Khan's, and he was making a desperation bid in the hope of gaining a swing. Well, Khan would have something to say about that! He waited precisely ten seconds, and then slammed the red "Double" card on the table. He then detached a card from his hand, and waited for everyone to pass.

Spock turned to Khan. "Before you lead, Khan, allow me to explain--"

Khan waved a hand impatiently. "Yes, yes, your alert. Thank you, my friend. I am aware that you are playing Precision. Unfortunately for you, you have chosen the wrong moment to shed your Vulcan inhibitions and act impulsively. I salute your bravery, sir--but the honorable hunter should always salute his worthy prey." He flicked the diamond seven onto the table. Dummy was KJ96 -- AKQJT K763.

Spock studied the dummy briefly, and said, "Thank you, Mr. Scott." He then quickly played five rounds of diamonds, pitching five black cards from his hand, and conceded three trump tricks to Khan. The full hand was:

"Khaaaaaaaaaan!" This reproachful cry was from McGivers, whose normally adoring countenance was now twisted in frustration. Khan himself ground his teeth, then said philosophically, "Not to worry, my dear. Our teammates at the other table are also playing Precision, so Kirk will have nothing to guide his opening lead. He may choose a diamond as well. Even if he somehow finds the club lead, we still have a useful lead in the match. We shall prevail."

As Spock and Scotty left the table, the engineer clapped the Vulcan on the shoulder and said, "A bonny overcall on the next-to-last, that was, Mr. Spock. I'd have never guessed you had it in you..."

McCoy and Chekov joined the table to compare results; Chekov was earnestly defending himself to the doctor, and McCoy himself was rubbing his forehead and muttering something about needing a drink. Khan was astonished to discover that Kirk had matched him bid for bid and play for play at the other table, and the match was tied going into the penultimate board.

"I assume Kirk also took the percentage play in diamonds, and went down in four hearts?" demanded Khan.

"Percentage play? We weren't in the auction at all. He played safely for ten tricks," replied McCoy. "Don't tell me Spock actually overcalled on that garbage? That wily Vulcan..." He chuckled wryly.

Khan could feel the blood thundering in his ears. There was no way they could earn a swing on the last board, was there? But his honor demanded satisfaction; win or lose, he simply had to know that Kirk hadn't outplayed him. "...And the last board?" he asked with menacing softness.

Chekov looked down at his shoes. "Declarer made eight tricks in hearts," growled McCoy.

"Kirk found the club lead? Lady Luck certainly smiles on that man more often than she ought. There was no way for me to know..." Khan began, but McCoy unexpectedly cut him off.

"What in blazes are you talking about? Jim was the declarer!"

Khan's eyes narrowed. "Doctor, your attempt at humor is dangerously misguided."

McCoy shook his head impatiently. "Damn it, Khan, I'm a doctor, not a comedian. Kirk opened 2H as South. I doubled, of course. Sulu passed, and so did Chekov. I suppose you can hardly blame him, holding eight trumps and all."

"That undisciplined fool," muttered Khan bitterly. Then he demanded, "How did Kirk make the contract? Surely you led a diamond?"

"I would have," barked McCoy, glaring poisonously at the shamefaced ensign. "But Chekov was so bloody excited to defend 2H that he led a club out of turn! Jim required a club lead, and let it run to his jack. He took three clubs, the ace of spades, and a spade ruff. He still had the AQT of trumps, and Chekov was endplayed at every trick."

Kirk and Spock walked up to the table. "Well, Khan, it was a good match. Better luck next time." He turned his first officer and said, "Spock, how about a game of chess?" Spock readily agreed, and the two of them turned to depart. Then Spock paused, and turned back to Khan.

"It seems, Khan, my decision to act impulsively was not as ill-timed as you presumed. I must say, I found the match...enlightening."

Kirk and Spock wandered away, followed by McCoy and Chekov. Even Lt. McGivers had disappeared, leaving Khan alone at the table except for the kibitzers, who sat watching him from behind. One of the kibitzers whispered, "I hear he wears a prosthetic chest!" Khan whirled in fury; the throng quickly stood and scattered.

The galley soon emptied, and Khan stood alone in the darkened room, gazing out upon the stars. He was still there some time later, muttering darkly to himself, "Kirk...Kirk...to the last, I grapple with thee...from Hell's heart, I stab at thee...for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee..." He turned away from the window at last and looked at the thirteen cards clutched in his hands. He shook his head in disbelief and sighed, "A vulnerable weak two on Ace-Queen-Ten fifth..."
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users