• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Geoguessr

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-15, 07:12

Geoguessr

This is SO much fun. Basically Google maps drops you somewhere in the world and you have to work out where you are! Try it out. Click around for 3 or 4 minutes at each of the 5 locations and then take a guess. One rule I would say: NO googling place names!!

Useful skills include language, knowledge of various country's highway codes, botany, and knowing which side of the road various countries drive on. It reminded me of how in WW2 Great Britain they took down nearly all of the road signs so the German spies/paratroopers would have no idea where they were.

I scored 12,000ish on my first try with a bit of clicking. Click here to challenge my game directly.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 07:22

View Postbroze, on 2013-May-15, 07:12, said:

Geoguessr

This is SO much fun. Basically Google maps drops you somewhere in the world and you have to work out where you are! Try it out. Click around for 3 or 4 minutes at each of the 5 locations and then take a guess. One rule I would say: NO googling place names!!

Useful skills include language, knowledge of various country's highway codes, botany, and knowing which side of the road various countries drive on. It reminded me of how in WW2 Great Britain they took down nearly all of the road signs so the German spies/paratroopers would have no idea where they were.

I scored 12,000ish on my first try with a bit of clicking. Click here to challenge my game directly.

I scored, well, not 12,000. It would have helped if I recognized the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.
Maybe I'll improve with practice.
Thanks for the link. I think.
Ken

#3 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2013-May-15, 07:48

I don't think I'm able to play it without Googling.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 08:13

My best so far is 15,000ish, including 2 off by less than 20km.

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-May-15, 08:25

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2013-May-15, 07:48, said:

I don't think I'm able to play it without Googling.

I think this is totally fine btw. I mean everyone should make his own rules for the game, but we should be honest about the tools we used.

I think trying to maximize score with no restrictions is still an awesome challenge, for example.

I got 14778 on my first shot, no googling and not much "exploring" in the pictures provided, but I had a relatively easy set. Also, street signs really help, and I don't think it's cheating to scroll around the map that the game provides to locate cities that the signs indicate are nearby.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 09:42

27643 on yours broze using all resources. Dude you crushed me on the 3rd photo though (the snowy one); I had no idea. I'm interested in whether I just missed a clue or what...
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 10:25

View Postwyman, on 2013-May-15, 09:42, said:

27643 on yours broze using all resources. Dude you crushed me on the 3rd photo though (the snowy one); I had no idea. I'm interested in whether I just missed a clue or what...

Wow - nice! Yeah, that one was very tough. Beautiful scenery though. My instinct was Europe and about 2 minutes clicking down one of the roads there was a French sign beginning "St." something I think. So I plumped for French Alps. Not much detective work involved - I tried again and couldn't find any sign... Where did you go for btw?

Another fun rule might be no lateral movement and no external resources. I.e. you can only rotate and then make a judgement call! I used that rule for this set, did surprisingly well (11k) but got very lucky on one turn.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 10:33

Damn, thought I recognized the location instantly. Wasn't close. fuuuuuuuu
OK
bed

#9 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 10:53

View Postbroze, on 2013-May-15, 10:25, said:

Another fun rule might be no lateral movement and no external resources. I.e. you can only rotate and then make a judgement call! I used that rule for this set, did surprisingly well (11k) but got very lucky on one turn.

Using this rule I just binked this

Posted Image
OK
bed

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-May-15, 11:36

How come sometimes you can't go anywhere? I want my money back (9800 :( ). I was in some forest or golf course somewhere and missed by 10000 km :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 13:43

View Postbroze, on 2013-May-15, 10:25, said:

Wow - nice! Yeah, that one was very tough. Beautiful scenery though. My instinct was Europe and about 2 minutes clicking down one of the roads there was a French sign beginning "St." something I think. So I plumped for French Alps. Not much detective work involved - I tried again and couldn't find any sign... Where did you go for btw?

I got a 7875 on that set using those rules.

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 14:13

Here are a few of my sets... all done no "cheating" - no moving and no searching the web

These are "challange" links that will let you play the same set without spoliers

http://www.geoguessr...DYyNV1dfQ%3D%3D

http://www.geoguessr...yMzQzNzVdXX0%3D

#13 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 14:36

Links broken Tyler

#14 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 15:14

itt saskatchewan and alberta are completely indistinguishable from pretty much everywhere in the world
OK
bed

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 15:35

View Postgwnn, on 2013-May-15, 11:36, said:

How come sometimes you can't go anywhere? I want my money back (9800 :( ). I was in some forest or golf course somewhere and missed by 10000 km :)

I had a funny one where I was trapped in a house in which everything was destroyed, and through the windows you could see empty space except for some bulldozers... I "guessed" correctly that it was in the Japanese 2009 earthquake zone. (Not such a hard guess given that there were still some signs with Kanji lying around in the mess.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#16 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-15, 16:23

Sometimes you have to use the signs when you're in the middle of a bunch of trees with nothing else in sight!
I couldn't figure out how to make the guess map icon work properly until the last one -it wouldn't let me zoom into anything but southern Europe/North Africa and that doesn't help if you're looking for New Mexico! Then put the last one on the wrong side of the Atlantic in Portugal rather than Brazil. B-) Nevertheless 11,400 ish Fun way to spend some time

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-May-16, 07:00

15200 on a REALLY easy one:
http://www.geoguessr...TYuMzI4MTI1XV19
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 07:22

View Postgwnn, on 2013-May-16, 07:00, said:

15200 on a REALLY easy one:
http://www.geoguessr...TYuMzI4MTI1XV19

Link broken too. :( If you use the BBF hyperlink feature it seems to work.

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-May-16, 07:37

At least the broken link means my score will stay unbroken :) There was a Belgian one which I missed by 2.4 km and got I think 7000 points.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 08:29

I wish it were more random. It's obviously clustered around certain areas. In 25 or so rounds I've had points in the Florida Keys 3 times. Considering the entire keys is maybe 10 square miles, the odds of that happening at random are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1. New Zealnd, and Australia also seem to come up WAY more often than you would expect. The Norwegian coast too, come to think of it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users