BBO Discussion Forums: UNDO during misplay/mis bid in BBO matches/tournament/events - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UNDO during misplay/mis bid in BBO matches/tournament/events

#1 User is offline   Arudra 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-May-07, 08:11

I wish there should not be any UNDO for any misplayed card during play in the BBO/other matches/and any bridge-playing events in tournaments/matches on BBO.

#2 User is offline   Fujiko 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-May-07, 08:26

View PostArudra, on 2013-May-07, 08:11, said:

I wish there should not be any UNDO for any misplayed card during play in the BBO/other matches/and any bridge-playing events in tournaments/matches on BBO.

Why? I use it rarely, but when I do, it's a genuine misclick. Similar to a mechanical error when pulling a card from the bidding box or my hand.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-07, 10:06

This debate comes up every few months, there's never likely to be enough demand to change it. The choice whether to enable undoes is up to the table or tournament host, that seems to be the most fair situation.

#4 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-08, 15:49

But maybe it would be a good idea to have three options: undo enabled, undo disabled, and undo enabled for bidding only, but not for the cards, because at a real table Law 25A allows an "undo" for calls. For the play of the cards there is nothing like an undo in the Laws.

Karl

#5 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-09, 18:45

No, 25A absolutely does not. It always a substituted call to made IF AND ONLY IF the original call was unintended AND the substition was made, or attempted to be made, without pause for thought AND the player's partner has not made a call.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-10, 06:39

View Postmink, on 2013-May-08, 15:49, said:

For the play of the cards there is nothing like an undo in the Laws.

For declarer 48A seems to be the equivalent of an undo for a misclick. For a defender, the laws on minor penalty cards (50B, et al) cover this, if the undo is for a non-honour. It is true that there is no equivalent for an undo of an honour card for a defender though. Perhaps we should have an option that creates a minor penalty card for defenders when appropriate too then(?) Or we could just assume that the online environment is somewhat different and accept either friendly (undo allowed) or strict (no undos) according to taste.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-11, 06:43

Is a misclick something like a card that is accidentally exposed, or is it like a card played? I would say, the latter. The former would be hitting the mouse button with your coffee pot, but this is not very likely. If we assume that a click on a card expresses the will to play a card, there is no undo in the laws. If I have real cards and I grab the wrong one, it will have been played as soon as my partner can see it (defender) or it has nearly touched the table (declarer).

Karl

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-11, 11:53

Misclicks are supposed to be like accidents, analogous to reaching for one card with your thumb and forefinger, but your middle finger hitting another card and knocking it out of your hand. Pointing with the mouse is simply not as easy for many people as grasping, and it can be even harder to be precise when using a trackpad or tapping on a tablet screen.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be what UNDO is requested for much of the time. I think it's too often used when the player wasn't paying attention (e.g. they were going to finesse and didn't notice that 2nd-hand played high before they clicked on the finessing card). Which is why people object to it on basic principles.

#9 User is offline   aurora 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-May-19, 06:49

When you play in real tournament sometime it happens to pull 2 cards, IF opponents dont call TD, they will accept you to play right cards, second card is an exposed card.

In live tournament till we take the card we want to play , we pull it from other cards and put the card on the table ... pass few seconds.
When we play on BBO we play from PC, tablet or IPhone is very easy to misclick. To click on the card you want to play take 1 sec and need to be very careful to check where the arrow of the mouse is.

Each host can set the table, team match or tournament how she/he wish - with or without "undo".
In 90% of the tournaments "undo" is not accepted(no undo), At table and in team match undo is set it in 90%. Is accepted because are playing between friends.

Accepting an "undo" you cannot lose so much but you can make a new friend.
"Undo" for misplay depend of each player. (i accept "undo" even for misplay).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users