• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreements after an infraction 40B3

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-26, 07:13

Notation suggestions:

call-(opponent's call)-partner's call-(other opponent's call); call-(opponent's call)-partner's call/partner's changed call-(other opponent's call);

It might be good to put each round of bidding on a new line. Then, after the semi-colon, you could put explanations, separated by hyphens (use "to" instead of a hyphen when specifying ranges) or by some other delimiter (colon? period?)

So
2-(P)-2NT-(3)-3/P; the last pass is DOPI(= step 2 = bad suit, good points);
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-26, 08:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-April-26, 07:13, said:

Notation suggestions:

call-(opponent's call)-partner's call-(other opponent's call); call-(opponent's call)-partner's call/partner's changed call-(other opponent's call);

It might be good to put each round of bidding on a new line. Then, after the semi-colon, you could put explanations, separated by hyphens (use "to" instead of a hyphen when specifying ranges) or by some other delimiter (colon? period?)

So
2-(P)-2NT-(3)-3/P; the last pass is DOPI(= step 2 = bad suit, good points);

Good idea, but I think you should include in your format specification the possibility that you are opening the auction in second, third or fourth seat?

like: (P) - 2-(P)-2NT; (3) (This format is not very good because the posisiton of the semicolon is easily overlooked)

There is also the need for a format making it clear whether you or your partner made the opening bid?

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-26, 09:06

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-April-25, 14:17, said:

Here are some reasons why you might choose to have agreements about things following your own irregularity:
- if partner has a minor penalty card, he will often choose to play it given it's known rather than give an accurate signal
- if partner has a major penalty card, playing it does not give a signal
- if partner has a major penalty card and declarer demands a lead of that suit (say diamonds) then the lead will be suit preference rather than attitude in the suit

Are any of those really "agreements"? The play of a card is only a signal if the player has a choice of cards. If he's required to play a card, and that requirement is AI to you, then you would never consider it to be part of a signal. You don't have to agree to that.

A lot of these might be considered 'just bridge' but if they have come up multiple times (not necessarily a good thing) then you might have developed partnership experience and understandings.

I don't care how many times it's come up, no regulation can reasonably tell me that I must treat a compulsary play as a signal, unless the law says that it's UI that it was compulsary.

#24 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-April-26, 12:59

View Postbarmar, on 2013-April-26, 09:06, said:

I don't care how many times it's come up, no regulation can reasonably tell me that I must treat a compulsary play as a signal, unless the law says that it's UI that it was compulsary.

In fact, explicitly and quite to the contrary

Law 50E1 said:

Knowledge of the requirements for playing a penalty card is authorized information for all players.

#25 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-April-26, 13:34

View Postbarmar, on 2013-April-26, 09:06, said:

Are any of those really "agreements"? The play of a card is only a signal if the player has a choice of cards. If he's required to play a card, and that requirement is AI to you, then you would never consider it to be part of a signal. You don't have to agree to that.

For the first and third of those, you do have a choice of cards.
The second I agree was a poor example.

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-26, 13:57

I use:
  • Abbreviations AP = All pass, N = Notrump, _P = Pass, _X or DB = Double, XX or RD = redouble, (opponents calls in brackets).
  • If West is not the dealer, the bidding diagram starts with "--"s (unless who is dealer doesn't matter).
  • Each round ends with a semicolon.
  • Describe bids separately below.
  • There are only single spaces, so including HTML doesn't destroy the format.
  • This lines up the auction if you specify a fixed width font like Courier
  • For example, if I deal as East and bid 1
-- ---- 1 (_X);
XX (_P) _P (1N);
_X (AP)

#27 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-April-26, 14:24

View Postnige1, on 2013-April-26, 13:57, said:

I use:
  • Abbreviations AP = All pass, N = Notrump, _P = Pass, _X or DB = Double, XX or RD = redouble, (opponents calls in brackets).
  • If West is not the dealer, the bidding diagram starts with "--"s (unless who is dealer doesn't matter).
  • Each round ends with a semicolon.
  • Describe bids separately below.
  • There are only single spaces, so including HTML doesn't destroy the format.
  • This lines up the auction if you specify a fixed width font like Courier
  • For example, if I deal as East and bid 1
-- ---- 1 (_X);
XX (_P) _P (1N);
_X (AP)

What would it look like if your partner dealt as East and you are sitting West? (Your first Call is the XX)

#28 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-26, 17:57

View Postpran, on 2013-April-26, 14:24, said:

What would it look like if your partner dealt as East and you are sitting West? (Your first Call is the XX)
The same. But
  • You can agree always to sit East, Partner West or
  • You can put names above columns OXO LHO YOU RHO but
  • When submitting a question about the bidding, you can just put ?? in the appropriate column

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-27, 20:56

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-April-26, 13:34, said:

For the first and third of those, you do have a choice of cards.

Do you mean when there's a minor penalty card? You have a choice of cards, but not a choice of cards that can be used to signal with (on the assumption that count and attitude signals are usually made with spot cards).

#30 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-April-28, 04:06

If you want to format an auction nicely, use the hand editor

a very good bid

#31 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-28, 08:55

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-April-28, 04:06, said:

If you want to format an auction nicely, use the hand editor

I am lame, apparently. If someone would be so kind as to PM me with how to make a bid diagram without cards from the hand editor, and how to insert an insufficient bid.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:21

if you uncheck the North, South, etc, boxes, that leaves only the bidding checked. I don't think it's possible to put in an IB, so I guess you'd have to use a comment.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#33 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:48

I enjoy volunteering others to do things which will make my life easier. So, I volunteer Ed and David to create a separate hand editor just for the Laws fora which will allow I.B's.

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-April-28, 18:49

"Do not confuse 'duty' with what others expect of you." -- Robert A. Heinlein. B-)
--------------------

#35 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-29, 10:09

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-28, 13:48, said:

I enjoy volunteering others to do things which will make my life easier. So, I volunteer Ed and David to create a separate hand editor just for the Laws fora which will allow I.B's.

While we're at it, shouldn't we also allow 14 (or more) card hands, positions where the hands don't have the same number of cards, and multiple hands to contain the same card?

#36 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-29, 10:15

Absolutely. Get on it, guys :rolleyes:

#37 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-30, 01:42

View Postbarmar, on 2013-April-25, 08:51, said:

Continuing to play transfers would not be a variation in methods, so no problem.

Yes, but this is also an agreement, which can be defined as being against the rules (eg ACBL). Say the first time this comes up the pair have a disagreement - one thinks transfers remain on and the other continues to use transfers. Are they not going to discuss it and decide which to use next time? If they do then they are breaking the regulation; if not then they are at a major disadvantage. In the previous thread, it was suggested that the ACBL regulation is only that you cannot change an agreement but you can have new agreements. Yet another interpretation is that you can have whatever agreements you like in advance, providing you do not change them on the fly. Sadly, neither of these matches my understanding of the way the regulation is interpreted and enforced in the ACBL.

So, an example from that thread is to treat X of an accepted IB as takeout and X of a call of a higher number of the same denomination as a non-accepted IB as penalty. There is no variance of agreements - this is always in effect. However, this agreement is illegal in the ACBL unless you pretend it is just GBK and not an agreement. But as soon as it has happened a couple of times, it has become an agreement. So now what do you do? In other words, the regulation makes no sense and is unworkable without handling experienced partnerships in a very naive way. Anyone who believes that Meckwell do not know the difference between the accept + double and decline + double auctions is more than naive. That is pretty much the definition of an agreement - but somehow I do not think they will run afoul of a TD anytime soon.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users