• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bbo ratings private

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2013-April-07, 06:15

why are so many listing their skill rating as "private"? and yes i know there are many many pseudo experts etc but i really dont get the private rating.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-07, 10:14

View Postthomas c, on 2013-April-07, 06:15, said:

why are so many listing their skill rating as "private"? and yes i know there are many many pseudo experts etc but i really dont get the private rating.

My skill rating is "private". I just don't care to rate myself.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-April-07, 10:36

Maybe they're in the army
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-April-07, 18:26

I list my skill level as Private, but I really don't play that well.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2013-April-07, 19:45

Mine's private because, well, this isn't a ranking for "depending on days ending with Y".
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-07, 23:39

Thomas, can I ask you a question?

Why do you give self selected ratings any validity?
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-08, 02:16

View Posttrevahound, on 2013-April-07, 23:39, said:

Thomas, can I ask you a question?

Why do you give self selected ratings any validity?

Trevahound can I ask a question?
You play opposite somebody on BBO you do not know.
If somebody called himself an expert and somebody else rated himself as beginner or novice, might that not influence your bidding and play?

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-08, 02:26

View Postrhm, on 2013-April-08, 02:16, said:

If somebody called himself an expert and somebody else rated himself as beginner or novice, might that not influence your bidding and play?

Absolutely, you are more likely to be able to trust the Beginner. I do not trust any Expert rating until seeing them play for a few boards. I can count the number of players I have played against on BBO and consider to be genuinely expert on one hand.

In truth, I tend to check the monthly average for anyone that sits at our table, which is a far better indicator than their assigned rating. Without anything better to go on, everyone is Intermediate until their play shows otherwise.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-08, 08:31

This was discussed most recently in this thread: http://www.bridgebas...__fromsearch__1

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-08, 13:15

If you dislike being the butt of gratuitous invective, then put "Novice" or "Private" on your profile; :)
But it still won't save you from being booted by a "World Class" host who learnt bridge that morning or an "Expert" who learnt Bridge that afternoon :(

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-08, 17:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-April-08, 02:26, said:

Absolutely, you are more likely to be able to trust the Beginner. I do not trust any Expert rating until seeing them play for a few boards. I can count the number of players I have played against on BBO and consider to be genuinely expert on one hand.

In truth, I tend to check the monthly average for anyone that sits at our table, which is a far better indicator than their assigned rating. Without anything better to go on, everyone is Intermediate until their play shows otherwise.

I look at it slightly different than you

For example when i see "expert" i also check the country of the player. It is very rare from some countries to see an "expert" self rating and if you see it you can rely on their rating...Well...even if they are not "expert" (whatever this exactly means) they are at least decent players. On the other hand, when i see "expert" self rating from some other well known countries, i know for a fact that it is exaggerated (to put it politely)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-09, 13:57

View PostFree, on 2013-April-07, 10:36, said:

Maybe they're in the army

Perhaps there should be a rating "Rating"
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-09, 14:21

View Postnige1, on 2013-April-08, 13:15, said:

If you dislike being the butt of gratuitous invective, then put "Novice" or "Private" on your profile; :)
But it still won't save you from being booted by a "World Class" host who learnt bridge that morning or an "Expert" who learnt Bridge that afternoon :(

I think you have those backwards :lol:
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2013-April-14, 04:29

i really think a self rating is better than no rating. i play more golf than bridge and i hate playing with beginners OR with players who just think they are good. i suspect this excessive use of private ratings is because some of the great players decided to rat themselves this way. anyhow thanx for the answers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users