BBO Discussion Forums: (Un)Official thread to complain about the changes to the forums - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Un)Official thread to complain about the changes to the forums

Poll: (Un)Official thread to complain about the changes to the forums (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want the forums set back to how they were originally?

1. Yes - I post here to discuss bridge mostly (16 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No - I post here to discuss BBO mostly (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

3. I don't care either way (15 votes [46.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-03, 08:51

View Postmr1303, on 2013-April-02, 16:30, said:

Yes. That's the point. The change will annoy most of the regular posters here to avoid things being a tiny bit confusing for people who post here once and then never post again.

I like to think that accomodating newbies is very important. Power users don't need hand-holding, they can accomodate. And while the regulars may post more, I think over time there are more of the newbies looking for BBO support, so this change benefits more people.

As for the question being biased - did anyone read the thread name?

Not only is the question biased, but the pollees are not a representative sample. The people who will benefit from this change will never participate. It's like doing a poll about homelessness by postal mail.

If the organization had been like this for years, I don't think anyone would think there's anything wrong with it. It's only because it's different from what you're used to that it's even an issue.

#42 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-April-03, 08:56

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-April-02, 16:03, said:

You should also consider that what, 95% maybe, of all the posts made are now going to be less convenient, with the rest more convenient.

That seems like an overbid. How much time do you spend in the top-level, selecting forums? When you're reading and posting, I expect you spend much more of your time in the forums you participate, looking at the list of threads, than in the top-level looking at the list of categories.

Also, do you realize that when you're going from forum to forum you don't have to go all the way out to the top-level? You can select the category from the breadcrumbs list at the top. Or you can use the menu at the bottom to jump directly to another forum. So this inconvenience only hits you when you first login, after that you can navigate conveniently within the areas you care about.

I wish the forum software allowed you to customize the forum list -- there's no "one size fits all" answer to this.

#43 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-April-03, 16:16

I think the negative unintended consequence of this will be less participation in the bridge-related discussions by either newer players or newer people to the forums. In fact I think there will be less discussion even by experienced members. And that's a bad thing imo. In fact it's the exact opposite of what you should want on this forum.

Sure, the forum may have originally been created to be BBO-focused. Instead it became the best Bridge discussion forum on the internet. Is this such a bad thing? What resulted was different than intended, so why not keep the focus on what the forum does well -- that is to provide a hub for Bridge-related discussion.

#44 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-03, 16:30

To be honest, I am quite offended by this change. It looks like you started the forum trying to attract people to discuss bridge, and now you turned it into something to discuss BBO. (Yes I am exaggerating to make a point.)

BBF is already inferior in various ways to its main competitor offering online bridge discussions. I am not sure why it thinks it is a good idea to add another way to make the bridge content one step further away to find.

I am not sure why so many people claim that it's not a problem because of "View New Content". BBF made this link almost unusable a while ago, by adding the Bridge Laws Forum, and the foreign language forums, without updating the forum software to adequately manage these additions from the user point of view.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#45 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-03, 19:45

It should be so easy to program the forums to show up bridge topics on top for regular posters, just that nobody is gonna dig on the code to do it.

#46 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-April-04, 07:26

View PostFluffy, on 2013-April-03, 19:45, said:

It should be so easy to program the forums to show up bridge topics on top for regular posters, just that nobody is gonna dig on the code to do it.

It's not our code to dig into. We purchased this software, and it's quite complex. All our customizations are done through extension facilities built into the software: getting the login information from the BBO user database, bbcode for suit symbols, hand viewer links, and the hand editor tool. AFAIK, they don't provide a method to tailor the forum layout for different users, and we're not going to rewrite the software to add it.

Anyway, I'm going to put it back. I think I just overreacted to the most recent time I had to move a post. I think I only have to do this about once a week, it's not really that bad. Additionally, the day after I made the change, someone posted a question about equipment for bridge clubs in the General BBO Forum, and I had to move it to Offline Bridge (but after I did that I noticed that he'd posted a duplicate there himself).

#47 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-04, 08:59

Is this the unnoficcial thread to complain that the forums have moved again when I was starting to get used to it?

#48 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-04, 11:27

View PostFluffy, on 2013-April-04, 08:59, said:

Is this the unnoficcial thread to complain that the forums have moved again when I was starting to get used to it?

Heh. I nominate your post for the "Keep stirring the pot" award. Love it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#49 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-04, 12:19

Yay for barmar. The motto I live by is "whining works" and this is one more example.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#50 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-April-04, 12:30

Thanks! :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#51 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-05, 02:51

POTY?
(-: Zel :-)

#52 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-April-05, 14:02

Thank you Barmar. Much appreciated.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users