• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2013-March-23, 12:03

if playing transfer Walsh is transfers still normally played in 3rd/4th seat

transfer walsh over 1
1=
1=
1=balanced or minors

i would think not playing transfers would be good as you can open light in 3rd/4th and pass responders 1 bid and play at 1 level
for example P-P-1-P-1-all pass
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 12:06

I've not heard of anyone ditching T-Walsh in 3rd+4th. What you say is true but I doubt the effect is sufficient to make natural responses better than transfers.

By the way, my 1D opening is either natural or a weak NT. After a 1st/2nd seat opening I play 1H = spades, 1S = hearts in some partnerships, but after a 3rd/4th seat opening I play 1M = natural. This is a much easier change to make than reverting to natural responses to 1C.

#3 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2013-March-23, 12:17

Well you can still pass 1 - 1red - 1M, so I don't really see the point. Besides is there really a gain in opening 1 underweight? I can see 1M light annoying opps, but not really 1.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 13:54

I certainly play Twalsh in all seats, with the same continuations. It's not just the transfer that helps, but the ability to show the length and strength in the majors that you do not get with natural responses.

As to opening 1 light in 3rd seat, I think this is risky when partner turns out to have an invitational hand (he invites because when you are stronger you may have game). However, it is preemptive, and 4th seat does not have the same options as he has when you pass. I did try this for a spell, by agreement with partner, and it did not seem to help. We reverted to full strength throughout. When I reverted I made a note of those hands I passed where I would have opened light, and looking at them afterwards came to the unscientific conclusion that steady in all seats is best.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-March-25, 10:38

What you can do is accepting the transfer at the one level is very minimum or 3 cards and jumping to 2M is 4 cards decent opener. That way you shouldnt get overboard if opener doesnt have a full opener and you have a major fit.

Over

1C--1D
1S--

you might end up in 2Nt you there is enouhg gadget available to be able to avoid the 3 level.

I think that an underweight 1C opener is probably not a significant positive EV IMO. So just play steady 1C and youll be fine.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-25, 13:06

I think transfers are even more useful as a passed hand, because it lets you bid your hand sensibly without any risk of partner passing you out in one of a major.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-25, 18:21

View PostMickyB, on 2013-March-23, 12:06, said:

This is a much easier change to make than reverting to natural responses to 1C.

Do you have any statistics to support the ease with which your partners revert to natural PH responses over 1D? :P

#8 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2013-March-27, 02:25

Don't think transfer walsh make any problem here, generally you don't open a light 1, and here you are still able to play in 1M anyway.

But I'm thinking of stop playing Kaplan inversion in 3rd/4th, since 1 can be a light opener.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 04:06

View Postyunling, on 2013-March-27, 02:25, said:

But I'm thinking of stop playing Kaplan inversion in 3rd/4th, since 1 can be a light opener.

When I did play possibly light 1M in 3rd/4th seat, we still used KI as responder, (as well as Drury type 2m) and did not find it a problem. If that is your normal method, why change? (We dropped light 1M when we switched to a weak 2M being possibly 5 card.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users