#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:42

View Postjillybean, on 2013-March-13, 08:24, said:

I was the one who was confused.

I'm afraid that bidding game over 2H would get us to too many hopeless games.

View Postbillw55, on 2013-March-13, 08:32, said:

Agree. Maybe I am misunderstanding wyman but .. if we bid game with a 3 card limit raise after opener's minimum rebid, then aren't we basically abandoning invitations and treating them all as gameforces?

Agree :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:45

there are some reasons to bid game in a major at imps with a 9 card fit with minimum hands.

again this would be an easy pass over 2h for me.

#24 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:49

I agree with Wyman that if you were going to bid a limit raise and you suddenly discover that p has an extra trump I hardly think it is going to cost you to just bid game in this spot. In fact I would always do so at teams.

As for your problem , what would 2 have been for you? My p and I have been flipping between playing it as minors and as the 3 card limit raise. If you don't need either of these perhaps it can fill the spot for this hand.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#25 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:52

View Postwyman, on 2013-March-13, 08:34, said:

No because 2H shows extra length.

It sounds like you are saying that all deals with ~22+ points and nine trumps should bid game. That might be a tenable position; is that actually what you mean?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#26 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:54

In answer to the original question, agua is 100% correct - the 2NT rebid shows a balanced invite to a NT game.

However, there has been additional information between the initial 1NT bid and the rebid, in that opener has promised 6 hearts (I would not bid 2 with 5 very good hearts in a 4522 hand - I would bid 2). So, the 2NT bid should deny as many as 2 hearts. With the hand presented in post #4, I would bid 3 - invitational to game in hearts. 3 might still be a limit raise to game with 3 hearts, but it doesn't promise 3 hearts.

2 is an interesting idea. Perhaps 2 should show a 3 card limit raise in hearts while 3 shows a 2 card invitation. Or, more likely, the reverse, so that 2NT becomes a possible contract.

#27 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-March-13, 08:59

View Postbillw55, on 2013-March-13, 08:52, said:

It sounds like you are saying that all deals with ~22+ points and nine trumps should bid game. That might be a tenable position; is that actually what you mean?

No, I said that all hands with a 3-card limit raise should bid game when they find out that opener has 6 trumps. There's a difference.

edit: differences, to be clear, include
* 6-3 fit, which may provide more tricks than a 5-4
* 11 v 11 plays better than 17 v 5
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#28 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:00

prefer to use 2s here for minor suited hands by responder, I dont have any other way to show them.

again with most hands that would be a 3 card invite I would just bid game at imps, but my 3 card invite hands are are not junky 10-11. that range would be a direct 2h raise for me over 1h.

#29 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:06

View Postmike777, on 2013-March-13, 09:00, said:

prefer to use 2s here for minor suited hands by responder, I dont have any other way to show them.

again with most hands that would be a 3 card invite I would just bid game at imps, but my 3 card invite hands are are not junky 10-11. that range would be a direct 2h raise for me over 1h.

right we have different opening styles so evaluate invites differently, but the point is that hands with JB's shape are bidding 2NT if they are invitational, and hands that you initially called an invitational 3 card raise will now just bid game.

Whether our invites are 9-11, 10-11, 10-12, 11-12, more, whatever, that's a question of style
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#30 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:08

View Postjillybean, on 2013-March-13, 08:15, said:

This is the problem, I dont have a 3 card limit raise.

Or a two-card limit raise, either; you have a pass. The ten-count is for hands with 3+support but not completely flat. Here, you have an 8-card fit, but the partnership assets total 21-24 and you will be in game with all 23's if you invite.

11-12 is a better invite range for notrump.

BTW: After 1H-1N!-2H you have two bids at your disposal if you want them with heart support--2S (impossible as a natural call) and 3H. One or the other can be the real 3-card limit raise...We choose 3H with 3 hearts. Some don't have the two options and use the impossible 2S to show a 5-5 ish minor 2-suiter.

I see an overlap from Mike and Wyman due to slow typing, but a bit different on choices.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#31 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:20

View Postwyman, on 2013-March-13, 08:59, said:

No, I said that all hands with a 3-card limit raise should bid game when they find out that opener has 6 trumps. There's a difference.

edit: differences, to be clear, include
* 6-3 fit, which may provide more tricks than a 5-4
* 11 v 11 plays better than 17 v 5

OK now I understand :)

Certainly agree that 11/11 plays better than 17/5. Not as sure about 6-3 versus 5-4 fits, for example 5-4 may be more durable against 3-1 breaks because a trump remains in dummy. Against that, the 6 bagger is more resistant to forcing so .. not sure the net effect.
-gwnn

#32 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:20

3H shows an invite with a fit. Could be 2-cards, could be 3-cards. But may hands that started as a 3-card limit raise will become a game force once we know that partner has 6 hearts. As opener, you should assume 2-card support, as that is more frequent than 3-card support not worth an upgrade.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#33 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:24

View Postcherdano, on 2013-March-13, 09:20, said:

3H shows an invite with a fit. Could be 2-cards, could be 3-cards. But may hands that started as a 3-card limit raise will become a game force once we know that partner has 6 hearts.

I am interested in some example hands you would put in this category. Not arguing, just interested.
-gwnn

#34 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:33

View Postwyman, on 2013-March-13, 08:16, said:

2; it's clearly imperfect, but it's what we've got.

Imperfect is one word for it, I can think of a few others. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the worst popular bidding ideas around today? I do not really understand why good players use 1NT like this over a 1 opening, when there is a perfectly good alternative available in 1 that would allow pairs to play exactly the same structure as they do over a 1 opening. And there are other options too. Nearly every option would be simpler for normal club players to handle than the 2/1 that everyone seems to learn unquestioningly.
(-: Zel :-)

#35 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 09:33

View Postbillw55, on 2013-March-13, 09:20, said:

OK now I understand :)

Certainly agree that 11/11 plays better than 17/5. Not as sure about 6-3 versus 5-4 fits, for example 5-4 may be more durable against 3-1 breaks because a trump remains in dummy. Against that, the 6 bagger is more resistant to forcing so .. not sure the net effect.

You often can get away with ruffing in the short hand before drawing anyway, so I don't see why the 'leftover' trump is a huge factor, except maybe that it's nice as an entry in some squeeze situations and allows for some more strip-and-endplay possibilities I guess.

But yeah, my point was basically that I'm not saying "22 pts + 9 trumps = game" -- I'm saying something about this specific auction and hand type.

#36 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 11:32

I hope I never have the misfortune to pick up partners who rebid 3 on this hand. It seems a clear pass.

As to other points raised, with a partner not playing Flannery that does not like Kaplan Inversion, with a 4522 hand after 1 1NT, I rebid 2, as 2 is artificial 15+. Partner will not pass with fewer than 5 diamonds, and even then only with a heart shortage. I am happy-ish with this.*

With a partner playing Kaplan Inversion, also not playing Flannery, when it starts 1 1 (may have 4 spades) 2 shows 4 spades, and 1NT denies. I am much happier with this.*

As to the "impossible 2", it is not impossible if you play KI as I do. 1 1NT(5+ spades) 2 2 is 6 card 11+, while 1 1 1NT 2 is 6 card up to 10 hcp. (You could reverse these.) (For us an immediate 1 2 is not wjs, but 4 card support 13+.)

With the non-KI partner, 2 really is impossible, and will never be bid. If you can't remember KI you would never remember what it might mean !

* The astute will note that these methods do not let opener rebid a natural 2. But as we can't bid a natural 2 either it seems reasonable to use it these ways when limited to a 14 max.

#37 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 13:05

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-March-13, 11:32, said:

As to other points raised, with a partner not playing Flannery that does not like Kaplan Inversion, with a 4522 hand after 1 1NT, I rebid 2, as 2 is artificial 15+.

Just curious. What do you rebid with a 13 point 4513? or a 4504? or a 3514? or a 3505? Are these all 2 rebids?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#38 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-March-13, 15:06

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-March-13, 13:05, said:

Just curious. What do you rebid with a 13 point 4513? or a 4504? or a 3514? or a 3505? Are these all 2 rebids?

Rik

I think he was saying he plays that gadzucks convention.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#39 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-March-14, 01:44

I'm another passer over 2 with this hand.

You may see a 10 point hand, but I see a 9 loser hand with lots of quacks.

If the hand were, say, xxx J10 Kxx AQxxx, I'd have no trouble inviting game.

#40 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-14, 01:44

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-March-13, 15:06, said:

I think he was saying he plays that gadzucks convention.

Nope. He was saying 2C is 15+ artificial. Gazzilli has 2C as 11-14 with clubs or 15+ any/almost any.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users