• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alternative to a weak 2H your opinion please

#21 User is offline   ennaji 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-16, 09:39

View PostFree, on 2013-March-16, 08:39, said:

Hi Joris, welcome to the forums and thanks for writing about this topic. My partner and I are thinking about adopting the method because it does sound interesting. That's why I started a discussion here, to see if there's anything we've missed.

Even the invitational hands WITH fit aren't handled in a good way either imo. 2-3 as an invite with either M doesn't sound attractive. But I was wondering if you use 2-3 a lot for preemptive purposes. If not, then isn't it better to play this sequence as some invitational hand (like INV with 5+), and make 3 more oriented (or possibly some invite with exactly 4 looking for the best contract)?

Thanks for bringing the theory abroad!

A good idea to use 3 for invitational with hearts only. In fact it is not a big difference from what I already play, since opener is allowed to bid 4 over 2-3 with a decent hand with four spades. For other readers, the schedule I published in the article was:

2-3 (invitational for 4M)

3: minimum for hearts (if partner bids 3 spades, you can still raise)
3: maximum for hearts, minimum for spades (I would not use this often as a spade contract may be wrongsided and you may give information about your shape)
3NT: maximum (if partner has a general slam try and were just looking for (super)min/max he can bid 4 clubs for hearts and 4 diamonds for spades).

Frankly, I haven't seen the bidding 2-3 as barrage so far, so I think it is OK to remove the 3 response after 3. That would mean that we will bid 3 with an (light) invitational hand. I still think it's good to bid 3 with a strong invitational hand. You can show the spades after 3 MIN with 3 and bid 4 after 3NT MAX (or 4 MAX if you prefer to play it that way) and it doesn't give up anything.

Oh, and another advantage of the K2 compared to 2/2 as majors: the bidding is more likely to end after 2.

My favorite bidding sequence of the convention is 2-3, which is putting a lot of pressure on the opponents. What should double mean? Take out with spades? Take out but having spades is not necessary? Just points? I don't know the solution and I'm glad not to face that problem. Yet...

#22 User is offline   ennaji 

• Pip

Posted 2013-March-16, 09:48

View PostFree, on 2013-March-16, 08:39, said:

...and make 3 more oriented (or possibly some invite with exactly 4 looking for the best contract)?

I think the goal you are aiming for with this agreement is too small.

With a good invitational hand I rather prefer to (slightly) overbid with 2NT and struck gold if partner shows an interesting distribution. Sometimes you can end up in a nice five in a minor or even slam like in my example on the previous page.

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-16, 10:14

The 3 response seems a bit wasted. It's only useful if you're 5-5 in the minors, as with 31(54) you'd probably just pass 3 rather than risk a 4-3 fit.

Instead, what about
3 = invitational with 4+ spades. Then 3 = maximum without 4 spades, 3 = minimum without 4 spades, 3 = minimun with four spades, 4 = maximun with four spades.
3 = invitational with heart support.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is offline   ennaji 

• Pip

Posted 2013-March-16, 15:49

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-16, 10:14, said:

The 3 response seems a bit wasted. It's only useful if you're 5-5 in the minors, as with 31(54) you'd probably just pass 3 rather than risk a 4-3 fit.

Instead, what about
3 = invitational with 4+ spades. Then 3 = maximum without 4 spades, 3 = minimum withiut 4 spades, 3 = minimun with four spades, 4 = maximun with four spades.
3 = invitational with heart support.

Nice thinking, gnasher. How about:

2-3 (inv, 4+ spades)

3: 3 spades, 4+ diamonds, minimum (NF)
3: 3 spades, 4+ clubs, minimum (NF)
3: 3 spades, 4+ diamonds, maximum
3NT: 3 spades, 4+ clubs, maximum
4 and higher: 4 spades

This would give the opportunity to play in 3 diamonds or 3 hearts when there is no spade fit. It also tells something about the shape, which may be interesting if responder is interested in playing a 4-3 fit (which often is the case after 3). However, the solution may be too difficult for a problem that is not very frequent.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users