Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play Four Spades IMPs

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 12:55

IMPs. West leads 2 against your 4 contract. Plan the play.

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 14:02

I'd win and play the AK of spades. If they're 3-2 I'm cold obv (ruff 2 diamonds). If RHO has 4 then diamonds are likely to be 3-3 in which case I'm cold. If LHO has 1 spade and 4 diamonds I guess I'm down barring an unlikely HA onside.

If LHO drops the ST on the first round I will probably reconsider and change courses.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-February-22, 14:51

I'm with Justin but will take the analysis a little further.

If LHO plays the spade 10 on the first spade, I'll cross in clubs and run the spade J.

If it loses, then unless LHO held Q10x, then either diamonds break or he is endplayed.

If LHO shows out on the spade J, I play a club to my hand, ruff a club, draw trump and play on diamonds: 4 spades, 2 clubs, a club ruff and 3 diamonds even if diamonds are not 3-3, as they probably are when trump are 1=4. So I make 10 or 12 tricks.

If LHO holds Q10x, then he can get out with a spade (or a diamond). In any event, I test diamonds, pitching a heart. I ruff a diamond, establishing the suit on an unlikely 4-2 break, and when all else fails, I hook RHO for the club Q, since he rates to hold the club length.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 18:20

I'll win the Q, cash A, go over to A and finesse 9. If this loses I'm probably ok. If W only had 10x, he could well be endplayed, but if he had another diamond, these can be established. If West had the last trump (unlikely), I could test diamonds and if they're breaking badly, resort to the club finesse through East. If this fails, W may be endplayed to give the 10th trick.
If 9 wins, I can take at least one more diamond, ruff 2 clubs in dummy and make 4 trumps in hand.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 03:53

hard to find a thread with first 4 posters whom I'd rate more as intermediates :)

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-25, 15:18

Thanks for the replies.

I posted this in "Intermediate and Advanced Bridge Discussion" as I was particularly interested in the views of intermediate and advanced players (though of course the views of Bermuda Bowl players are always worth reading).

This hand comes from a teams competition at an English club.

At the table, the 3 bid was alerted and incorrectly described as showing 5-5 in hearts and another suit(!). Placing the overcaller with short spades, declarer won the lead in dummy and ran the J. This lost to the queen and the defence took the next three tricks also: A, ruff, ruff (the 3 overcaller was 3=7=1=2).

The TD adjusted the score to (100% of) 4 making, but E/W appealed, claiming that declarer might equally have played the 3 bidder for short spades on the correct explanation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users