• You cannot reply to this topic

You love because?

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-16, 04:13

... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 04:28

I beleive in souls, but have no clue what does have one and what doesn't, animals might have one, or maybe not even all humans have one. When I recognice my own thoughts to mimic a computer I wonder if I have one or I am just atrezzo for other's lives. One can only wish for the best.

About evolution I think I see easier explanation for love than for crying and laughing, they don't seem to help you survive on any way unless laughing helps to relax muscles when no danger is around.

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-16, 10:04

My opinion is that most of the things we call "feelings" are just the way we consciously interpret many of the automatic activities of our bodies. The digestive tract sends out hormones signalling that it's empty, we feel "hungry". You smell or taste something bad, it's "disgust". And you form a strong bond with a partner or child, that's "love".

#24 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 10:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-15, 09:25, said:

Seems to me before you can talk about "why" you have to define it. So what, exactly, is "love"?

I think the "what" and "why" are interrelated so that you cannot really talk about one without talking about the other.

I think that love is an instinctual reaction to a person or circumstance that is hardwired within our brain to in some way benefit our survival (or our ancient ancestors' survival).

When we see Pat and experience what we recognize as love, it is because our instinct says "this will help me survive" (the "why") so our brain sends out the endorphins that make us feel good (the "what"). I think the instinct is ancient (but always evolving) and may have nothing to do with survival in the present day.

I do think that our feelings are more complex, of a higher order, than the feelings of non-humans. But, I also think that at some basic level there isn't any difference between me smiling and my dog wagging her tail.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users